Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #31
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bert Sugar's top 10 ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceferg View Post
I just think based on his wins etc. KO'd Rahman, Moorer himself, Ruiz, Maskaev. Gave Lewis a decent fight. Lost to Byrd in all fairness but I still think that there is a little more depth on his resume.
Byrd has Holyfield, Vitali, Tua, Purrity, Cooper, Oquendo, McCline, Williamson...switch 'em! Switch 'em man!
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #32
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Byrd has Holyfield, Vitali, Tua, Purrity, Cooper, Oquendo, McCline, Williamson...switch 'em! Switch 'em man!
None of these were really impressive wins. Holyfield was shot and started getting beaten by everyone, Byrd beat Vitali and deserves a lot of cred fot it but in all honesty he was getting well beaten at the time and won because of an injury.
Byrd's win over Tua is good yes, he deserve credit for that but it was close and could be compared to young's win over foreman (not saying there is that gulf in class just that styles make fights.

I just think the way Byrd was destroyed by Wlad and the way Tua stuck in with Lewis and also the way Byrd was destroyed by Icke but the way Tua stuck in there gives him a slight edge. It's very close though and I understand other opinions.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #33
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
I add Lewis and Wlad, remove Foreman and Frazier, drop Ali to 10.
Before you all get crazy...Every time Ali jabbed, his right hand flared out. A slightly better than medium fighter like Norton took advantaqe of that by jabbing every time Ali jabbed. So would Holmes, Wlad, Lewis, even 2nd Foreman. Ali didn't know how to get inside and didn't know how to fight once somebody made him get there.
This guy makes Bert look evenkeel.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #34
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
None of these were really impressive wins. Holyfield was shot and started getting beaten by everyone, Byrd beat Vitali and deserves a lot of cred fot it but in all honesty he was getting well beaten at the time and won because of an injury.
Right. But they're not less impressive than the wins you listed for Tua, are they? In fact, they're more impressive.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #35
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 191

Holyfield was an old man with a bum ticker when Byrd beat him ffs. Tua never had any real skill, he was just thought to try knock guys out and was overweight since he fought Lennox. He looked miserable against Wlad and Golota walked him from pillar to post for 12 rounds without a jab. He was useless.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Holyfield was an old man with a bum ticker when Byrd beat him ffs. Tua never had any real skill, he was just thought to try knock guys out and was overweight since he fought Lennox. He looked miserable against Wlad and Golota walked him from pillar to post for 12 rounds without a jab. He was useless.

Who wasn't useless apart from Joe Louis and Rocky according to you?

Byrd was as slick as they come at heavy and Tua had legit one punch knockout power, that was actually proven against heavyweights.
Synthetic Decay is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #37
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Right. But they're not less impressive than the wins you listed for Tua, are they? In fact, they're more impressive.
No they're much less impressive. Tua KO'd Ruiz, he went on to become a champion, KO'd Rahman who went on to become undisputed champion, KO'd Moorer who was a highly regarded champion KO'd Maskaev who went on to become a champion.

Jameel Mcline lost almost every time he stepped up in opposition, Byrd barely beat him and 4 months later McLine was well beaten by Calvin Brock, I didn't even include Oquendo because I didn't rate it as one of his highest wins but Tua stopped him when he was unbeaten, DaVaryl Williamson again lost pretty much everytime he stepped up in quality Ross Purrity had 12 losses going in to the Byrd fight and had lost 2 in a row going into it, very good fighter yes but mainly a gatekeeper to test prospects (to make it clear he lost to a 12 bout Hasim Rahman) so how he's a better win I don't know.

Frankly I think you're pretty deluded or uneducated on the sport if you think those wins are better than Tua's.

Let's face it as well, as good as the win over Vitali was, it was down to a freak accident, if Lewis got an injury like that Tua might have beaten him.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #38
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
you joke but I honestly think that's kind of what he was doing. he sometimes seemed to take on ridiculous and indefensable positions just to see what people might list in response. his and Teddy Atlas's list book is filled with such nonsense. Rip bert but this list blows
Sugar was a humourist historian. Atlas just has a screw loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
What's crazy is that's a p4p list not just heavyweight.

Quote:
1. Joe Louis
2. Muhamed Ali
3. Jack Dempsey
4. Jack Johnson
5. Gene Tunney
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Ezzard Charles
8. George Foreman
9. Joe Fraizer
10. Larry Holmes
Not even in my top ten. Also, having Frazier underneath them makes me physically ill.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #39
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Have you ever seen the doc where he actually explains that list? It's ****ing quality because Holmes is in the studio so he has to explain to his ****ing face why he is #10
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #40
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Have you ever seen the doc where he actually explains that list? It's ****ing quality because Holmes is in the studio so he has to explain to his ****ing face why he is #10
Is that the one with george chuvalo? And holmes basically shits on foreman?
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #41
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah just been watching it, and Holmes in all fairness wasn't a dick about it. so many greats out there that being in the top 10 is a complement
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #42
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
You could say.

It's got the footage Bonavena's KD by Frazier that doc.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #43
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
I live for moments like that on the television. ...I don't get ESPN Classic anymore. Mu****as tried to put a shakedown on ole Uncle Box. I have youtube, you ain't shakin' me down. You never got me down, cable company! You still never shook me down!

Quote:
"He found a chestnut!" Larry never liked the fact he couldn't score a fight with George.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #44
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Fair play to him though. I admit it, straight up, I would change my list if i had him at #4 and found out he was going to be in the studio. I would move him to #2.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #45
Brockton Rock
Journeyman

Quote:
Why on earth is Tua above these two?

Interesting way to break it down though, kinda makes it fun again.
Tua absolutely destroyed Moorer
Brockton Rock is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum