Or what is your opinion ?
MrNastyTime408 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Are styles born per fighter?

In my opinion, the environment is also part of molding the style of a fighter. Sometomes what happens in the actual pro game can alter style.

Barrera was once a slugger, but the loss to Junior Jones turned him to a boxer.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

to some degree, yes. Style itself can come from picky trainers: You can look at JMM, Ricardo Lopez, and Rafael Marquez and tell the same guy trained them because of the uppercut used as a ranged weapon and the high lead hand. I watched a live fight in Cancun and knew in the first round that one guy came out of the Romanza gym and was from Mexico City from the way he held his hands.

You can watch Floyd Mayweather Sr fight Sugar Ray Leonard and see that yes he had a hand in Floyd.

But on the other hand, the tendency to wait, to attack, to counterpunch or to swarm recklessly is innate personality to a very very high degree. You can teach a guy all kinds of things but if he goes crazy when he gets hit that is just the way it's going to be. Body mechanics can't be changed ridiculously, or you wouldn't see so many guys who only have a good left hook or only have a good jab or only have a powerful right hand, all kind of innate biomechanically.
aramini is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Badbot
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 650

My trainer gave me my stile. I later changed it but he developed it even further.
First it was about keeping my head down and using my speed for in and out movements. But because of my t-rex arms and bad stamina i had to tighten up my defence even more and learn how to fight on the inside.
Later he started working on my power.
Badbot is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
MonkeyEarMuffs
Dynamite Upper!
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1868

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramini View Post
to some degree, yes. Style itself can come from picky trainers: You can look at JMM, Ricardo Lopez, and Rafael Marquez and tell the same guy trained them because of the uppercut used as a ranged weapon and the high lead hand. I watched a live fight in Cancun and knew in the first round that one guy came out of the Romanza gym and was from Mexico City from the way he held his hands.

You can watch Floyd Mayweather Sr fight Sugar Ray Leonard and see that yes he had a hand in Floyd.

But on the other hand, the tendency to wait, to attack, to counterpunch or to swarm recklessly is innate personality to a very very high degree. You can teach a guy all kinds of things but if he goes crazy when he gets hit that is just the way it's going to be. Body mechanics can't be changed ridiculously, or you wouldn't see so many guys who only have a good left hook or only have a good jab or only have a powerful right hand, all kind of innate biomechanically.
I don't think I can agree with that last part. I think styles are ultimately decided by fighters and their trainers. The tendency to swarm, attack, wait, Etc. can be instilled in a fighter through proper training. A good example of this is the mere existence of pure counterpuchers stylists. The activity in itself is completely unnatural. No one is a born counterpuncher, they may have the innate ability to see shots and openings, and the reflexes to act upon them, but that is more an ability to recognize patterns and hand-eye coordination. The ability to see the shot does not translate into the ability to act upon the stimula, and neither are indicative of a fighters' ability to actually perform the necessary technique for a given situation. There is a lot at play here, the beauty is that humans can simply learn this stuff if they are so inclined, or if they are in a nurturing environment which is conducive to building particular styles.

Confidence, power, and conditioning are the ingredients for aggressive volume punchers, while environments that stress technique, knowledge, and execution are perfect for breeding boxers and counterpunchers.
MonkeyEarMuffs is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramini View Post

That's my experience too, a
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
the commentator
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

based on this thread, john ruiz was probably born to hug, winky wright born to cover up, calzaghe born to slap, margarito born to eat punches and mix cement, etc...
the commentator is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I would say so. If you have the build of Mike Tyson, you're probably not going to be an outboxer
Slickstar is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
GOW7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNastyTime408 View Post
Or what is your opinion ?
No sir even though it may have a big reason for why a fighter fights the way they do if that makes sense. Mexicans fight like mexicans because chances are the mexican is just a by-product of his environment and will share the most common views as everyone else from that environment due to fitting in or feeling secure, etc. The same can be said for all races. Its more so a form of mental conditioning. If a white guy is found in the trash and raised from an early age by black people and is cut off from *******s then he will exemplify traits of his environment. If fighters were more opened minded you would see more who evolve past the whole slick black, mexican warrior, kangaroo Manny Pacquiao footwork and be what some would say more evolved. None of this probably made any sense but I tried my best to answer your question.
GOW7 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
igor_otsky
Undefeated
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by the commentator View Post
based on this thread, john ruiz was probably born to hug, winky wright born to cover up, calzaghe born to slap, margarito born to eat punches and mix cement, etc...
wtf

best reply so far
igor_otsky is online now  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOW7 View Post
No sir even though it may have a big reason for why a fighter fights the way they do if that makes sense. Mexicans fight like mexicans because chances are the mexican is just a by-product of his environment and will share the most common views as everyone else from that environment due to fitting in or feeling secure, etc. The same can be said for all races. Its more so a form of mental conditioning. If a white guy is found in the trash and raised from an early age by black people and is cut off from *******s then he will exemplify traits of his environment. If fighters were more opened minded you would see more who evolve past the whole slick black, mexican warrior, kangaroo Manny Pacquiao footwork and be what some would say more evolved. None of this probably made any sense but I tried my best to answer your question.

Don't agree, but get your point, G
john garfield is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum