boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #16
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
Not one of those things will make you a better fighter, especially not a better slick fighter. A big part of being slick is being smart, boxing smart. If you want to be boxing smart, box, learn your craft. Then perhaps these things will enhance your boxing ability; in and of themselves they will not create that ability.
Being "slick' is not just slipping and bobbing and weaving. It is making the guy throw the punch you want him to throw when you want him to throw it, so you can land the punch you want to land. It requires a great deal of mental energy and boxing intelligence that only comes from boxing.
Anything that enhances or accelerates your development is helping you to be a better fighter, which all those activities do. Of course practicing skills is the number one thing but those other activities support and enhance learning.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #17
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,727
vCash: 121
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
I didn't realize this was so complicated. Yoga is used to improve balance, agility and flexibility especially around the waist. That way you have a larger range of motion that you can slip and you can move without throwing your back out.

Then make sure to shadow box and incorporate lots of headmovement and do it with your eyes closed (idea from s****) which would help with your balance and proprioception.

Also YES use a slip line. This is the style I use. After you get good with this, you can try it with your eyes closed a little as well

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



And I personally do all the things I just recommended to you and it works. The only other thing I'd add is to jumprope. You'll want some bounce and fluidity to your step if you want to be slick
Awesome, gonna set one up in my apartment once I get back into training soon.

Not sure what greysnotsoold's problem is with it. You can't train for every aspect of boxing by sparring. The way you "learn your craft" is exercises that promote the muscle memory to instinctively incorporate those things into when you fight.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Every morning I watch, on PBS, a yoga program. The woman must be 60 and she is in amazing shape, don't think she knows a thing about boxing, though. Maybe her yoga experience would help her catch on faster than other people, I don't know. I don't think that Berto's sprinting training made him a better fighter, didn't seem to, anyway. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to give yourself and edge, to make yourself better, or feel that you are better.
But if you want to be 'slick' the very first thing you need to teach is your mind, teach it to think boxing. You shadow box for real, not just throwing punches in the air. Watch yourself in the mirror (Tommy Loughran and Whitaker were among those that watched everything they did in the mirror; I think Toney did too) so you know what the opponent sees when he looks at you. When you use a shoulder feint (or foot feint etc...) in the mirror, you see what the other guy sees and then you know how he'll react. When you are 'slick' you don't react to the opponent, you cause him to have the reaction that you want him to have, then take advantage of it.
Once you begin to understand that, and integrate those thought patterns into every aspect of your training (you fight the heavy bag, not 'hit' it), then doing yoga will make you a better fighter. (Benny Leonard was doing similar things in the early 20s and before) Then you're training with a purpose and to and end. A lot of guys, in my experience, don't take that step mentally because maybe their trainer doesn't understand it himself, or maybe because it is not easy and in those cases the physical aspect of training gets way out of whack. Meaning, that instead of being a fighter that is in great shape, you become a guy that can do 1000 burpees and run 43 miles and, oh yeah, spars sometimes.
If that makes sense.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
Every morning I watch, on PBS, a yoga program. The woman must be 60 and she is in amazing shape, don't think she knows a thing about boxing, though. Maybe her yoga experience would help her catch on faster than other people, I don't know. I don't think that Berto's sprinting training made him a better fighter, didn't seem to, anyway. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to give yourself and edge, to make yourself better, or feel that you are better.
But if you want to be 'slick' the very first thing you need to teach is your mind, teach it to think boxing. You shadow box for real, not just throwing punches in the air. Watch yourself in the mirror (Tommy Loughran and Whitaker were among those that watched everything they did in the mirror; I think Toney did too) so you know what the opponent sees when he looks at you. When you use a shoulder feint (or foot feint etc...) in the mirror, you see what the other guy sees and then you know how he'll react. When you are 'slick' you don't react to the opponent, you cause him to have the reaction that you want him to have, then take advantage of it.
Once you begin to understand that, and integrate those thought patterns into every aspect of your training (you fight the heavy bag, not 'hit' it), then doing yoga will make you a better fighter. (Benny Leonard was doing similar things in the early 20s and before) Then you're training with a purpose and to and end. A lot of guys, in my experience, don't take that step mentally because maybe their trainer doesn't understand it himself, or maybe because it is not easy and in those cases the physical aspect of training gets way out of whack. Meaning, that instead of being a fighter that is in great shape, you become a guy that can do 1000 burpees and run 43 miles and, oh yeah, spars sometimes.
If that makes sense.
I understand what you're getting at but I think it's all important, you're not going to be good if all you do is boxing. To keep that focus and motivation when you box you need breaks from boxing, during those breaks why not do some activities that will indirectly help your boxing when you go back into the gym?
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
I understand what you're getting at but I think it's all important, you're not going to be good if all you do is boxing. To keep that focus and motivation when you box you need breaks from boxing, during those breaks why not do some activities that will indirectly help your boxing when you go back into the gym?
I think that is true, however you find that break. Archie Moore liked to play jazz, said it made him think and relaxed him.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: on the laptop in notts england
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

ok hear go's ,,,yoga as no place in boxing they concentrate on holding body motion to be still ,in boxing it's your stance that gives your balance & your never still your always on the move this makes your reflex action more sharp

slip line ,,,,,this exercise is not used for slips ,,,its used for rolls meaning rolling under Hooks ,,,,for example if you do use this exercise through 2 or 3 straight Punch's then roll under with a counter hook ,,this then makes it real ,,,there is lots of others to practice but try to make it real slips are for straight punching---rolling right to left or left to right is for rolling under hooks

but anyway, to me this is what makes a slickster

1,,80% of the time on the back foot
2,,mostly always counter with the jab first
3,,knowing the opponents boxing style ,,gives you a plan of attack
4,,4-6 faints in one round ,,this then gets a reaction,,which then gets you a power shot opening
5,,lots of light shot to create opening as well as saving energy
6,,looking at his/her chin thats the target, only look in their eyes if your in control of the fight
7,,be relaxed for a better reflex punch
8,,jab ,jab,,then jab some more **** of your opponent for him to then make mistakes (theres your opening)
9,,have a good guard to take some Punch's ,,sometimes you have to take a shot to find the opening
10,,slip and counter

off the top of my head that it for now ,,,to me this is what a slickster needs,,
123ko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,854
vCash: 75
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

you guys are saying these things don't work and never even tried them. I do them all the time and know 100% that they work. If you don't like me calling it yoga, then just call it a long stretch.

**** like this take flexibility.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I know for fact that it helps

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fI2vHk7eMU[/ame]

Plus with the slip line, you may not do those exact movements in the ring, but it teaches those muscles how to move and and react.
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #23
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
you guys are saying these things don't work and never even tried them. I do them all the time and know 100% that they work. If you don't like me calling it yoga, then just call it a long stretch.

**** like this take flexibility.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I know for fact that it helps

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Plus with the slip line, you may not do those exact movements in the ring, but it teaches those muscles how to move and and react.
There's a big difference between dynamic flexibility and static flexibility though. Just because you can reach a foot past your toes doesn't mean you'll be flexible during movement or vice versa. Static stretching targets muscles and has no real effect on flexibility other than directly after stretching.
I think yoga's benefits are more relaxation, body awareness and breathing rather than improving sports flexibility.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Stretching is probably the most important aspect of any Sport. Simply a must, for Muscle and Joint maintenance, Rehab or Prehab is a must. It helps with Muscle contraction, injury prevention, corrects Muscle alinement, and Helps to repair muscle tares quicker. Gives a better muscular performance, and awareness. But the most important thing it does, is rectify the damage that the eyes do, through the dominant side, Yoga the 1st form of stretch, gives Balance.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 568
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**** View Post
Stretching is probably the most important aspect of any Sport. Simply a must, for Muscle and Joint maintenance, Rehab or Prehab is a must. It helps with Muscle contraction, injury prevention, corrects Muscle alinement, and Helps to repair muscle tares quicker. Gives a better muscular performance, and awareness. But the most important thing it does, is rectify the damage that the eyes do, through the dominant side, Yoga the 1st form of stretch, gives Balance.
There's pretty much no evidence in the literature citing a noticeable benefit to stretching.
withoutwire is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
Jake_Lamotta
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 46
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

S**** how many times a week would you advice stretching and how long for?
Jake_Lamotta is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,570
vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

From what I've read, passive stretching will **** you up.
ROACH is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
From what I've read, passive stretching will **** you up.
You really need to think about what you say. "Passive stretching WILL **** you up". No. As with any stretching, passive stretching COULD **** you up if you go at it too hard.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #29
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**** View Post
Stretching is probably the most important aspect of any Sport. Simply a must, for Muscle and Joint maintenance, Rehab or Prehab is a must. It helps with Muscle contraction, injury prevention, corrects Muscle alinement, and Helps to repair muscle tares quicker. Gives a better muscular performance, and awareness. But the most important thing it does, is rectify the damage that the eyes do, through the dominant side, Yoga the 1st form of stretch, gives Balance.
Yeah I don't where you get this from, that's not even close to being true. A lot of top athletes don't stretch at all and there's no research anywhere to suggest they should. That old stretch to prevent injuries nonsense was thrown out decades ago. There's also no evidence to suggest it helps recovery as far as I'm aware of. I'd love to know how it helps muscle contractions and alignment as well. Acute static stretching inhibits muscular contractions.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by withoutwire View Post
There's pretty much no evidence in the literature citing a noticeable benefit to stretching.
Probably because of the many techniques there are, also ive noticed Physio,s are not keen on it for some reason, that worried me for a while. Then meeting an Osteopath or two I understood why .
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015