Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default If you were a boxer.. how would you rather your career go...

1. Would you rather be considered the p4p best in the business for many years while you're fighting. Get huge fight purses.. huge endorsements.. and have all the spot light... only do go down in ATG rankings as time goes on... or

2. Would you rather not get the credit you deserve while you're fighting and not get the money and wealth that comes alone with being reconized as the best. Only to later have revisionist take a look at your career and move you up the ATG rankings.

TO get an idea of rankings... Let us say in scenerio no. 1... you're considered around no. 70 all time.. while no. 2 later because top 15. Which would you rather?
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If you were a boxer.. how would you rather your career go...

You do know, of course, that only the smallest fringe element imaginable even remotely cares whom is at number 15 as opposed to number 70, right? That kind of thing is beyond irrelevant, and I would worry for the mental stability of anyone who didn't choose the first one.

Boxrec warrior's opinions just ain't worth that much. I'll take the living wage while I can.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

option 1
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

^^^ Fair point... but still.. it's not like no. 2 wouldn't make money.. they would make more money than most of, if not all of us I'm sure. It just wouldn't be near what no. 1 would make. I just think that some might choose no. 2 simple because.. if your goal and life has been dedicated to being the best and reconized as the best.. that goal would be more important to achieve than money. Should I make it more of a gap.. like Not top 100... and top 15 maybe...
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
^^^ Fair point... but still.. it's not like no. 2 wouldn't make money.. they would make more money than most of, if not all of us I'm sure. It just wouldn't be near what no. 1 would make. I just think that some might choose no. 2 simple because.. if your goal and life has been dedicated to being the best and reconized as the best.. that goal would be more important to achieve than money. Should I make it more of a gap.. like Not top 100... and top 15 maybe...

No, see............the thing is, why should it matter to anyone anywhere what someone's posthumous ranking is? Who cares, what does that even mean? And to whom? The numbers aren't even part of the argument.

I'm sure if you asked some poor bastard who is starving on the streets with nowhere to go that he should rest easy knowing he's number 23 on some anonymous person's made-up list that matters only to that person for some silly reason, he'd probably punch you right in the mouth. That helps no one.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

When I started boxing I just wanted people to think 'Hes a good boxer.' And I still do to an extent, but when the possibiliy for money becomes more realistic it changes everything.

Number 1 for sure.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've always played sport and was a good allround athlete, running, ice hockey, football/soccer, baseball, american football - fishing hehehe...

anyway I never understood WIN at all costs, and infact I hate the attitude & arrogance... NOBODY plays sport to lose, but IF your are among the Best & gave it your all, you are one of the Best and there's **** all wrong with that.

Boxing - I'd rather earn my way to the Top, fight the Best in proper contests & ellimination bouts, and EARN my Contention right to fight for a title - for me that IS THE ONLY Way!!!

all this shit, it's up to my Promoter or So & So WHO I fight is BS and often a short cut to a title!

if I were a Boxer, I'd rather be remembered as a fighter that fought the Best Win or Lose, and NO ONE, NO ONE can take that away from you.

Last edited by thistle1; 01-04-2013 at 02:11 PM.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
I've always played sport and was a good allround athlete, running, ice hockey, football/soccer, baseball, american football - fishing hehehe...

anyway I never understood WIN at all costs, and infact I hate the attitude & arrogance... NOBODY plays sport to lose, but IF your are among the Best & gave it your all, you are one of the Best and there's **** all wrong with that.

Boxing - I'd rather earn my way to the Top, fight the Best in proper contests & ellimination bouts, and EARN my Contention right to fight for a title - for me that IS THE ONLY Way!!!

all this shit, it's up to my Promoter or So & So WHO I fight is BS and often a short cut to a title!

if I were a Boxer, I'd rather be remembered as a fighter that fought the Best Win or Lose, and NO ONE, NO ONE can take that away from you.
If I was any good, when I reached a certain level, I'd rather have fought the easiest possible fights for the biggest possible money.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

well considering were talking Top Level here, your not going away poor...

I'd still rather be known as an honest, courages, brave fighter who fought them all.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Thistle1 but when it comes to money that is changed.

Id way much rather have money than people remembering you, hell respect isnt paying your hospital bills, respect isnt giving your kids a great lifestyle, respect isnt getting those ditsy 18 year olds in your bed etc...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
well considering were talking Top Level here, your not going away poor...

I'd still rather be known as an honest, courages, brave fighter who fought them all.
I'm thinking of preserving my brain matter and living out my retirement in good health.

Muhammad Ali fought a ton of tough guys, and was as brave as they come. He'll be remembered as a great fighter for eternity, and possibly a great human being.
Yet he's one of the ex-fighters I'd least want to be.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

My biggest problem with this scenario is the implication of "your P4P ranking going down in time," despite all the money and accolades.......as if that were some actual tangible thing. What the **** exactly IS a P4P ranking, anyway? Are you allotted a sum of money for it? If so, from whom??? Is it some magic spell thing that will give you good health in your old age? No, it's some imaginary thing boxing nerds come up with, and every boxing nerd has his own list. What good is any of that?

Besides, you know how we boxing nerds are........revisionist history always has a backlash period anyway, and then he'll be embraced as an unfairly criticized legend.

As if any of that matters anyway.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I guess I've missed the point - how can we Even Dare call fighters the greatest - if we as just fans don't even expect them to fight the Best, " but what the hell, they're the greatest" ah NO.

anyway I understand completely what you two are saying here...

but I would have thought that the question pertains more to a Sport answer, in that as a sportman, I'd rather be known as the Real McCoy.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
I guess I've missed the point - how can we Even Dare call fighters the greatest - if we as just fans don't even expect them to fight the Best, " but what the hell, they're the greatest" ah NO.

anyway I understand completely what you two are saying here...

but I would have thought that the question pertains more to a Sport answer, in that as a sportman, I'd rather be known as the Real McCoy.
Thats exactly why I give mad respect to the guys who do this, they are going beyond the call of reasonable duty IMO
Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I guess to me... having played sports all my life and one at a collegiate level... that being known as one of the best ever.. would be more important and satisfying than earning 80mil as opposed to 10 mil. Just my opinion though.
KuRuPT is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum