Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Who is the best Scottish fighter of all time - Buchanan or Lynch?

The explosive punching power, immaculate timing and prolific skill of Lynch vs the technical boxing brilliance of Buchanan. I rate the two of them in the top ten p4p greatest british fighters of all time and if i was to make a list on my top ten most talented British fighters of all time i would place both in the top 5. Yes im a biased scottish cunt

Flyweight Benny Lynch had 108 fights, 81 wins [34 ko's], 12 loses [1 ko] and 17 draws. Benny turned pro at 18 but did most of his early campaigning fighting in travelling booths [carnivals] where he was untouchable. He went on to become one of the finest boxers below the lightweight division of his era, beating the likes of Jackie Brown, Small Montana and Peter Kane. He lost his world title against Jackie Jurich on the scales failing to make weight but faught him anyway and beat him by a 12th round stoppage. Benny was only a pro for seven years, alcohol problems seen his career ended by the time he was 25, he died aged 33. At the time of his peak he was a super star in Glasgow, loved by all. Benny was inducted into the International Boxing Hall Of Fame in 1998. He was a classic example of a wasted talent, even tho he achieved alot in a short time.
Benny Lynch footage- [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Lightweight Ken Buchanan had 69 fights, 61 wins [27ko's] 8 loses [1ko], no draws. He won the WBA world title out pointing the great Ismael Laguna in Puerto Rico, the fact he done this away from home in extreme heat and high altitude makes it one of the greatest wins in British boxing history. Ken went on to beat unbeaten Donato Puduano, Ruben Navarro [winning the WBC], Carlos Hernandez, Ismael Laguna again [in New York], Al Ford and Andries Steyn before losing to the great Roberto Duran by way of a punch to the hee haws at the end of the 13th round! Ken then went on to beat a shot Carlos Ortiz, a young Jim Watt [british title] then had another shot at a world title later in his career, losing to Guts Ishimtsu for the WBC. His career was on the down slope after that but he still managed to win the Euro title before retiring. His career was also hampered by problems outside the ring. He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall Of Fame in 2000. In 1970 Ken won the American Boxing Writers Association fighter of the year when the likes of Ali and Frazier were active, that's a testimant to how good he was at his peak.

Ken Buchanan footage- [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is most likely been done before and alot of you Geeks will know this already. Ive probably missed a few thing so feel free to educate me!

I wrote this using my shite phone, so go easy on any mistakes!
rossco666 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who is the best Scottish fighter of all time - Buchanan or Lynch?

Lynch by far over Buchanan, though Kenny is defo one of the Best.

Lynch will usually always be 1rst and more or less this is right, however there might just be a handfull who could actually have been better, but are pretty darn close all the same.

Ely Clark
Alex Lafferty
Bert Gilroy
Jim Brady
Peter Keenan
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
joe grim

buchanan for me - went abroad and did it the hard way - his very poor handling by a selfish man way out of his depth makes kenny's tale one of pure tragedy. benny was a genius, but flitted all too briefly with his own potential. the book on him is a top read. neither were as good as tancy LEE, in my humble opinion. the man who beat the unbeatable jimmy wilde - often overlooked as scotland's first world champion
joe grim is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tancy Lee was a BIG Fly, always struggling at the weight and was actually a BW...

he was not better than Lynch nor the others mentioned, he is one of the best though.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
joe grim

he was indeed, but wilde and his handlers were that convinced of his invincibility that the weigh-in was treated with disdain. although im just an english bastard, i do travel to away games with the tartan army, so my opinion half counts.
joe grim is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Good thread.
I don't think you can argue against Lynch but Ken is one of the most underrated fighters of all time for me.An absolutely fabulous technician and I had the pleasure of meeting him once.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wilde apparently had flu the day Tancy Lee beat him. Wilde dished out a beating in the rematch.
Tancy Lee, the best fighter to come out of Leith!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Good thread.
I don't think you can argue against Lynch but Ken is one of the most underrated fighters of all time for me.An absolutely fabulous technician and I had the pleasure of meeting him once.
Lynch for me as well mate but its close. Lynch had explosive power, he would have been worth a fortune if he was around today, even at that unglamorous weight.
Ken was a superb technician but he had unreal stamina and toughness as well, the man was teak tough all over. Duran was pounding him but Ken kept boxing. Ken was actually coming on stronger untill the nut shot, he totally frustrated Duran. Ken as well as being one of the most talented, he's also up there with the toughest fighters to come out the uk and so is Benny Lynch for that matter.

I met Ken at the Calzaghe fight in Edinburgh years back. Ken was steaming drunk and talking alot of shit, he was trying to convince me he was'nt Ken but his twin brother Earlier i'd seen him signing autographs and getting pictures taken. Really nice guy if a bit crazy
Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco666 View Post
Lynch for me as well mate but its close. Lynch had explosive power, he would have been worth a fortune if he was around today, even at that unglamorous weight.
Ken was a superb technician but he had unreal stamina and toughness as well, the man was teak tough all over. Duran was pounding him but Ken kept boxing. Ken was actually coming on stronger untill the nut shot, he totally frustrated Duran. Ken as well as being one of the most talented, he's also up there with the toughest fighters to come out the uk and so is Benny Lynch for that matter.

I met Ken at the Calzaghe fight in Edinburgh years back. Ken was steaming drunk and talking alot of shit, he was trying to convince me he was'nt Ken but his twin brother Earlier i'd seen him signing autographs and getting pictures taken. Really nice guy if a bit crazy
Ken came to a boxing night at Shotts nick and told me that he felt with better refereeing and hometown advantage he might have beaten Duran.
So I was a bit shocked to see him in the paper about a year later saying he lost to the better man and had no complaints at losing to a legend.
Think Cholo was in the room when he said it though.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Ken came to a boxing night at Shotts nick and told me that he felt with better refereeing and hometown advantage he might have beaten Duran.
So I was a bit shocked to see him in the paper about a year later saying he lost to the better man and had no complaints at losing to a legend.
Think Cholo was in the room when he said it though.
Duran was just too much for him, Duran was a total beast at lightweight. Ken never had a chance.

I remember Ken saying he might hit Duran if they ever met but when they did eventually meet they were both crying and cuddling each other
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyHighlander View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Dick was a huge talent but he even admited himself that he didnt have the dedication to become a pro. Its a shame because he was a superb boxer. There's a really good doc on youtube about Dick Mct.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict

Quote:
Dick was a huge talent but he even admited himself that he didnt have the dedication to become a pro. Its a shame because he was a superb boxer. There's a really good doc on youtube about Dick Mct.

I hear ya and i seen the docu.......if its the one with him n his missus recounting his fights.

Anyways....i should of stuck to the thread subject a bit more

Last edited by HairyHighlander; 01-05-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: off-kilter musings......guff simply.
HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

aye, I remember Ken attributed his freakish stamina to swimming lengths underwater at his local swimming bahs, I believe him too as when i was a young 'un, I always remember men doing this at the swimming. The cunts would pop up at one one end of the pool, disappear & then pop back up again at the other end, the entire time me & my pals were larking around.

I was always a shit swimmer though, thats why I call them cunts.

I never met Ken, but my missus did when she went to by me a copy of his tartan legend book. She said he was really nice, cracking joes & having a laugh. Even gave my missus a kiss, the old charmer!

PS, Im no big fan of Jim Watt but he deserves a mention as when I watched his fight with Buchanan a couple of years back, I thought the young Watt edged it...
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Didnt kenny have an unlicensed fight not too long ago?
HeavyT is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum