Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Heavyweight boxing champion still the baddest man on the planet or not?

Long-time, diehard boxing fan here who has been following boxing since the late '80s (I'm 38 now).
Even though I'm not that old, I can still remember how, almost universally, the heavyweight boxing champion of the world was regarded as the toughest guy alive, capable of beating up any and every body.
But, as you all know, there's this new thing around now called MMA. And, while I am no less a boxing fan, the more I watch and learn about the sport of MMA and its top-level MMA practicioners, the more convinced I am that the heavyweight boxing champion is no longer at the top of the fighting food chain and can no longer be considered the "baddest man alive!"

It really pains me to say that, because I love boxing and all of its legendary champions and contenders, and I hate seeing this upstart fighting style (with all of its arrogant/****y fighters) challenging and, in many cases, overshadowing the great sport of boxing.

Your thoughts?
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: Heavyweight boxing champion still the baddest man on the planet or not?

wlad is like Lewis in that he's far too cerebral to ever be seen as the baddest man on the planet.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Heavyweight boxing champion still the baddest man on the planet or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
wlad is like Lewis in that he's far too cerebral to ever be seen as the baddest man on the planet.
deep!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

If our champ now was Sonny Liston or somebody like that then you wouldn't think whoever in mma was, now we just don't have that guy. We better have one soon though...
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Boxing is a single martial art, so at no point was that truly the case. It's just that other forms of fighting have never been popular in the west, in the modern era until now.

But no if you preserve the rule set of boxing and it is competing against a multi art discipline, then the world champ won't be seen as the main man. The talent pool in boxing is still a lot better but that is about the only advantage in such a comparison.
Synthetic Decay is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

All im saying is that a guy called Tim Silvia was the UFC Heavyweight champion...

and a 49 year old Ray Mercer, retired, washed up, passed it boxer, in his one and only MMA fight...

...knocked out Tim Sylvia in the 9th second of the 1st round

...thats all im saying, make of it what you will
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
All im saying is that a guy called Tim Silvia was the UFC Heavyweight champion...

and a 49 year old Ray Mercer, retired, washed up, passed it boxer, in his one and only MMA fight...

...knocked out Tim Sylvia in the 9th second of the 1st round

...thats all im saying, make of it what you will

Anyone can get caught. Ray also got subbed by a novice youtube fighter.

The talent pool in mma is still shallow. If you take two equal fighters and one knows one martial art and the other knows multiple martial arts, then barring punchers chance, the latter wins.

It's more a case of what happens in the future if the sport grows.
Synthetic Decay is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic Decay View Post
Anyone can get caught. Ray also got subbed by a novice youtube fighter.

The talent pool in mma is still shallow. If you take two equal fighters and one knows one martial art and the other knows multiple martial arts, then barring punchers chance, the latter wins.

It's more a case of what happens in the future if the sport grows.
Watching Mercer get subbed like he did against Kimbo was embarrassing. I mean, if Mercer had lost to a seasoned MMA guy that would be one thing, but getting taken out by a hyped-up internet warrior like Kimbo? Come on! I don't care how old Ray was; he was an olympic gold medalist with an extensive amateur career as well as a pretty impressive professional record. That was embarrassing to boxing!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #9
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

MMA fighters are jack of all trades but not good at one of them, they should do it like when things like this first got popularised, have a boxing match for one round then a wrestling one for second round then a jousting match in the 3rd obviously theyd be changed around probably like boxing round 1 wrestling or whatever round 2 and whatever else round 3 and whoever wins majority or ko tap ect wins, that actually tests their individual skills in each discipline...
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'm 39 and as a kid I thought Six Million Dollar Man Col. Steve Austin could've kicked anyone's ass.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

The Klits brothers have a ton of a character and come off as good hearted.

Baddest man on the planet and HW will be one as soon as another Sullivan,Dempsey,Louis,Tyson type of fighter comes back.
SP_Mauler is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #12
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The Klits are decent, respectable people but I'd never consider them the "Baddest Men on the Planet" they don't possess the characteristics or temprement to be considered such.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #13
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP_Mauler View Post
The Klits brothers have a ton of a character and come off as good hearted.

Baddest man on the planet and HW will be one as soon as another Sullivan,Dempsey,Louis,Tyson type of fighter comes back.
Could be far off from that happening who thought it would be this hard to get a fighter that actually wants to fight....
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #14
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

That MMGAY faggotry is not even worth mentioning after that "heavyweight fight" between dos Santos and Velasquez
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #15
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The heavyweight boxing champion as "the baddest man on the planet"? That was dumb then and it's dumb now. You really think that any heavyweight boxing champion would have an easy time with a wrestling champion of comparable size? The boxer's only chance would be to strike first and get a quick KO. Otherwise, the wrestler will take the boxer down and from there the boxer is at a huge disadvantage. And this is from before MMA even existed.
rusak is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum