Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
zorro

vCash: 500
Default Juan Manuel Lopez VS Aldimar Silva Santos, February 2 2013-- Any Thoughts? Feedback?

I think Lopez much like Khan is\are damaged goods ?
zorro is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
zorro

Default Re: Juan Manuel Lopez VS Aldimar Silva Santos, February 2 2013-- Any Thoughts? Feedb

I know Lopez has lots of heart, but his skills are very limited. I think he should get advice from another trainer.
zorro is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1894
Default Re: Juan Manuel Lopez VS Aldimar Silva Santos, February 2 2013-- Any Thoughts? Feedb

This fight appears to be very much a soft touch (just as a guess, looking at boxrec, never seen Santos fight).

Lopez has/had decent skills, he just got way out of practice with it and his offensive skills eventually became overshadowed by his woeful defense.

He's hired a defensive minded assistant trainer.

Ultimately, I don't think he'll reach the heights everyone hoped he would. Those wars against Salido were the career shortening type (for most fighters anyways).

I'm interested in seeing whether he moves to 130 or continues to try to ply his trade at 126.
WatchfortheHook is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchfortheHook View Post
This fight appears to be very much a soft touch (just as a guess, looking at boxrec, never seen Santos fight).

Lopez has/had decent skills, he just got way out of practice with it and his offensive skills eventually became overshadowed by his woeful defense.

He's hired a defensive minded assistant trainer.

Ultimately, I don't think he'll reach the heights everyone hoped he would. Those wars against Salido were the career shortening type (for most fighters anyways).

I'm interested in seeing whether he moves to 130 or continues to try to ply his trade at 126.
Fair enough. I don't know if the fight is at 126 or 130. I am still skeptical about Lopez defense skills. He seems to relay to much on his power
zorro is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro View Post
Fair enough. I don't know if the fight is at 126 or 130. I am still skeptical about Lopez defense skills. He seems to relay to much on his power
Fight is at 128.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
zorro

But without a doubt Aldimar Silva Santos seems to be a can as he has lost 2 out of his 5 last fights with this with guys that have more L than W.
zorro is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
CLUBBER
C.R.A.B. BOXING
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

BS fight...Easy confidence booster win for JML(KO 1-2). Santos is not a threat by any mean to Juanma.
CLUBBER is online now  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
zorro

Any reliable info on his new addition to training/defense trainer.
zorro is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLUBBER View Post
BS fight...Easy confidence booster win for JML(KO 1-2). Santos is not a threat by any mean to Juanma.
Yep. Just a get busy fight after a long layoff and consecutive knockout losses.

I'm more intrigued by what he does after this fight. See how he'll be managed.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
zorro

Juanma should have never rematch Salido. A boxer is as good as his team and a great match maker is invaluable on this sport.
zorro is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro View Post
Any reliable info on his new addition to training/defense trainer.
You can "scene" it.

He hired Freddie Trinidad. Or you can just google Freddie Trinidad and articles should pop up on it near the top.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #12
zorro

How about a Juanma vs Broner at 130. After all, didn't Juanma Ko ponce de leon in the 1st round.
zorro is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #13
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001

Still lots of good fights for him on paper, but in truth, that Salido beating had, had to take something out of him. That was brutal stuff.

On another note, I dont think the heart Lopez showed gets mentioned enough actually. That was a huge display of guts by Lopez in that fight... really 'Gatti list' type stuff.

Game as hell.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Still lots of good fights for him on paper, but in truth, that Salido beating had, had to take something out of him. That was brutal stuff.

On another note, I dont think the heart Lopez showed gets mentioned enough actually. That was a huge display of guts by Lopez in that fight... really 'Gatti list' type stuff.

Game as hell.
Huge heart.

Unfortunately, it seemingly was overshadowed by that stupid concussed post-fight interview. But yes, huge heart, totally willing to laid it out on the line and go out on his shield.

I also agree, the Salido fights unquestionably took quite a bit out of him in my mind. I mean, Salido had him hurt several times in both fights nevermind being knocked out twice in the span of 11 months.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

To be honest, I thought Lopez made a lot of improvements in the fight. His footwork and in-range defense is still a problem, but there's a reason it took Salido so much longer to start landing flush and got dropped himself. I'm not saying there was a transformation, but Lopez was on track to become a well-rounded star of the division, and somewhere along the way fell in love with his power. An immediate Salido rematch might not have been the best move, but my point is, I think he still has things to offer. I was one of the critics who started hating on his need to power through any adversity with no concern for his defense, but I have a feeling this can change.
Bogotazo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum