Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Andre Dirrell is Vastly Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
I don't see these "phenominal skills"

I do see Phenominal athleticism, but that's about it
Sure, but phenomenal athleticism can also take you far.. just look at RJJ.
JoeAverage is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #17
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post
Sure, but phenomenal athleticism can also take you far.. just look at RJJ.
Roy Jones had some mental toughness, and major backing by HBO

Dirrell has no mental toughness and fights on like ESPN classic or some shit

Jones won his first word title at 24

Dirrell will be 30 this year, and I can't see him getting a shot within 12 months at least.

Reflex fighters don't last long past 30....
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #18
DREAMCATCHER
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Who?
DREAMCATCHER is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #19
JoeAverage
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Roy Jones had some mental toughness, and major backing by HBO

Dirrell has no mental toughness and fights on like ESPN classic or some shit

Jones won his first word title at 24

Dirrell will be 30 this year, and I can't see him getting a shot within 12 months at least.

Reflex fighters don't last long past 30....
I agree on those things.

I do think the main problem for Dirrell is this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This has been shown in tennis. Where some players will prefer to lose in an earlier round if they are bound to meet someone they know will beat them in a later round. They much prefer "you are really a better player and will win next time for sure..." after losing intentionally... than "oh, you just weren't good enough" after meeting the person they fear.

He thinks he will lose to Ward, and that would seriuously hurt his self-image. So he would rather find a way to avoid that - even if it entails losing to another fighter or going to ask Dr. Shaw for a get-away paper.

He needs therapy to get over his Ward issues.. Until he does that he will not want to fight almost because each fight he wins will rank him higher and push him towards having to face Ward. So either he wont fight, or he will fight lowly ranked opponents in an effort to not get ranked so highly. If he starts to get highly ranked... I expect him to either lose a fight or get injured.

He needs therapy.
JoeAverage is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #20
knotty150
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 826

I think the guy is a farce and shouldn't be allowed to box again.

He ate two flush punches from Abraham, 1 put him flat on his arse, the other 1 clean ko'd him and gave him neurological problems. If this isn't clear evidence that the guy isn't cut out for it I don't know what is.

That said, it's obvious the whole "neurological problems" saga was a load of BS and he just used it to get out of fighting Ward (who I reckon would absolutely kill him).

If it weren't for all the bollox, I'd give him props for being an incredibly athletic fighter who arguably beat Froch. Instead, he's going to be remembered as a coward who wasted the prime years of his career.
knotty150 is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #21
mrhayemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post
I agree on those things.

I do think the main problem for Dirrell is this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This has been shown in tennis. Where some players will prefer to lose in an earlier round if they are bound to meet someone they know will beat them in a later round. They much prefer "you are really a better player and will win next time for sure..." after losing intentionally... than "oh, you just weren't good enough" after meeting the person they fear.

He thinks he will lose to Ward, and that would seriuously hurt his self-image. So he would rather find a way to avoid that - even if it entails losing to another fighter or going to ask Dr. Shaw for a get-away paper.

He needs therapy to get over his Ward issues.. Until he does that he will not want to fight almost because each fight he wins will rank him higher and push him towards having to face Ward. So either he wont fight, or he will fight lowly ranked opponents in an effort to not get ranked so highly. If he starts to get highly ranked... I expect him to either lose a fight or get injured.

He needs therapy.
Interesting post & theory, seems like a viable reason as he certainly comes across with a mentally weak persona.

I personally think Andre Dirrell has great boxing ability as well as athleticism. Personally hate the guy but can't deny the fact that he was/is extremely talented and had/has? an excellent future. Similar to Khan he has ok power, however combined with speed it becomes somewhat magnified i.e. Arthur knockdown. Froch was caught surprised, therefore stunned, otherwise I can assure you Froch has been hit with far bigger bombs.

I also believe he could have beat/ scraped a win against Andre Ward, with the right fight plan. Had the fake Arthur knockout debacle not taken place he would have grown hugely in confidence, knowing he beat beasts in Froch & Arthur, who were considered Super 6 favourites based on there experience in comparison to the rest.

He would avoid engaging with Andre Ward, knowing Andre is technically superior. I can see Dirrell simply carrying over previous tactics and fight in short bursts in- out and circle all night, but being a bit more effective/ efficient having learnt from previous bouts. Although Ward would prepare for a running Dirrell, it's still a somewhat unknown territory for him, as he has only faced opponents with poor lateral movement, simply trying to walk him down/ bully him and of course with lesser skills (and this is coming from a Froch fan).

BUT... what a waste.. self handicapping.. probably..
mrhayemaker is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #22
ashishwarrior
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1500

you have to box to be overrated
ashishwarrior is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #23
FilipMNE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl12 View Post
He's an average fighter. That is all. When up against real competition he shows his true colors and gets scared. It's perfectly fine to be scared, but boxing isn't the right sport for a scared fighter.

Despite Froch's girly lowblows and cheapshots on Dirrell, I still gave the fight to Froch as he was visibly trying to fight and Dirrell was content on landing a jab and literally running or holding. Dirrell has zero pop in his punches and a very questionable chin with a very obvious piss-poor heart. It's hard to support him, honestly.

For the fanboys out there: Ward kills Dirrell
YDKSAB He is far from average he will school and beat the shit out of average fighters!!! His problem is mental thats why he is not on top level where he should be with his kind of talent but he could be mental midget.
He is much more talented than Froch, read talented not better fighter, but Froch is mentally strong and does more with his talent than Andre is doing with his and only blind hater can not see how talented he is, but in boxing talent alone means shit.
FilipMNE is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
platnumpapi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

say what you want about dirrell but the man can box. most likely top 4 at 168 maybe even 3. he's 10x better then bootay in every aspect of the game and people think hes top 5 at 168. well people from his neck of the woods i superpose.
platnumpapi is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
dbouziane
East Side Guru

Couple thoughts on some of these posts

* Froch was not doing the chicken dance. He was stunned towards the end of the fight and you could see him clearly wobble after a break, but he was not doing his best Zab Judah impression.

* let's not even think the names Andre Dirrell and RJJ in the same sentence let alone type it out.

* Who rates Dirrell anyways?
dbouziane is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #26
dbouziane
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumpapi View Post
say what you want about dirrell but the man can box. most likely top 4 at 168 maybe even 3. he's 10x better then bootay in every aspect of the game and people think hes top 5 at 168. well people from his neck of the woods i superpose.
He was damn sure on his way and I thought he beat Froch. He was fading against AA and that was a legit knockdown but he would have won comfortably if he was able to stay away. Then what? He hasn't done a damn thing in a long time. He's gotta get out there and earn that.

That being said he has talent for days. Some say wasted talent and they aren't that far off
dbouziane is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1119

Quote:
actually, yeah I've just figured out what Dirrell is

Amir Khan + Chin - Heart = Andre Dirrell
This is perfect. And for all you ****ing haters, and there's lots of them, Khan has miles of heart. Miles. No idea why anyone hates on Khan.

But Dirrell has an okay chin (untested) with definitive skill/abilities. He just doesn't care to use them or make something of himself with them. Is a goddamn shame.

**** YOU DIRRELL
bjl12 is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #28
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbouziane View Post

* Who rates Dirrell anyways?
Read some fanboy threads about Froch and people got up on their high horse about Dirrell. I'm a Dirrell fan, but let's be honest, the guy is not deserving at all. Sadly...

Would much rather cheer him the **** on but he just doesn't earn it, as you put it.
bjl12 is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #29
PR BOXING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Easy to say, the guy lays the blueprint to beat the previously favorite to win the S6 Abraham, and now everyone is following and getting credit

Getting Robbed and Fouled back to back does not make you a bad fighter

Britts just hate Dirrell with a passion
PR BOXING is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #30
Ringman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl12 View Post
He's an average fighter. That is all. When up against real competition he shows his true colors and gets scared. It's perfectly fine to be scared, but boxing isn't the right sport for a scared fighter.

Despite Froch's girly lowblows and cheapshots on Dirrell, I still gave the fight to Froch as he was visibly trying to fight and Dirrell was content on landing a jab and literally running or holding. Dirrell has zero pop in his punches and a very questionable chin with a very obvious piss-poor heart. It's hard to support him, honestly.

For the fanboys out there: Ward kills Dirrell
Overrated? who's talking about him?
Ringman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum