Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #61
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: Bruce Wood**** v David Haye

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post
I'd back Bruno clearly and maybe Bugner when on song.

Was Henry Akinwande British or African? Either way he beats Haye as well imo.

Haye isn't that good and British heavyweights aren't that bad.
I pick Haye over all those you mentioned.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #62
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I pick Haye over all those you mentioned.
On what grounds?

His Heavyweight resume consists of wins over a faded Monte Barrett and John Ruiz, a debatable decision over Nikolay Valuev, a stoppage of a pathetic Audley Harrison, a gutless effort against Wlad and the circus act against Chisora.

So you give Haye the title of the second greatest h2h British heavyweight based on this???

You're a smart guy but I just don't get why you rate him so highly off of so little.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #63
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
On what grounds?

His Heavyweight resume consists of wins over a faded Monte Barrett and John Ruiz, a debatable decision over Nikolay Valuev, a stoppage of a pathetic Audley Harrison, a gutless effort against Wlad and the circus act against Chisora.

So you give Haye the title of the second greatest h2h British heavyweight based on this???

You're a smart guy but I just don't get why you rate him so highly off of so little.
I don't rate him second greatest, not by a long shot. I do rate him second best h2h.

Based on the eye test more than anything else and when doing cross era comparisons the cw division plays a large part also.

In his prime he lost to Wlad whilst amassing victories over:

Valuev, Ruiz, Chisora, Barrett, Mormeck, Maccarinelli, Fragomeni, Gurov, Abdoul.

Is it the greatest resume? no, but it's enough that I can label his skill set legit. He was out of his depth against Wlad, but I don't think anyone in british history outside of Lewis is anywhere near that level neither.

Hay has explosive hands in both speed and power. His upper body movement is top class. The guys you listed, I don't see what tools they have to beat Haye. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but I am saying if I was a bookie I'd make them all underdogs against him.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #64
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I don't rate him second greatest, not by a long shot. I do rate him second best h2h.

Based on the eye test more than anything else and when doing cross era comparisons the cw division plays a large part also.

In his prime he lost to Wlad whilst amassing victories over:

Valuev, Ruiz, Chisora, Barrett, Mormeck, Maccarinelli, Fragomeni, Gurov, Abdoul.

Is it the greatest resume? no, but it's enough that I can label his skill set legit. He was out of his depth against Wlad, but I don't think anyone in british history outside of Lewis is anywhere near that level neither.

Hay has explosive hands in both speed and power. His upper body movement is top class. The guys you listed, I don't see what tools they have to beat Haye. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but I am saying if I was a bookie I'd make them all underdogs against him.
Granted he has impressive physical tools and his Cruiser efforts were very good but at Heavyweight he's done next to nothing, certainly not enough to favour him over a big, powerful legit heavyweight like Bruno (whose losses to Smith, Witherspoon and Tyson 1 are arguably as impressive as wins over Harrison and Chisora ever were).

Would Haye be able to beat Lennox Lewis for 7 rounds, last 12 with Joe Frazier or even find a way to beat a 6'7 Heavyweight with decent skills like Akinwande?

I just don't see it based on what he's produced thus far.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #65
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
ARE YOU KIDDING OR WHAT
i forgot about your low opinion of Haye until this bump.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #66
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Granted he has impressive physical tools and his Cruiser efforts were very good but at Heavyweight he's done next to nothing, certainly not enough to favour him over a big, powerful legit heavyweight like Bruno (whose losses to Smith, Witherspoon and Tyson 1 are arguably as impressive as wins over Harrison and Chisora ever were).

Would Haye be able to beat Lennox Lewis for 7 rounds, last 12 with Joe Frazier or even find a way to beat a 6'7 Heavyweight with decent skills like Akinwande?

I just don't see it based on what he's produced thus far.
Styles make fights and I seriously doubt he'd last twelve with Frazier nor be ahead after 7 against Lewis.

I do however think he could outlast Bruno until he tired and finish him off with a come from behind knockout.

Akinwande is an interesting one, I always felt he had more to offer than he showed. and Certainly more than he showed against Lewis.

It mainly comes down to the eye test with this for me. I watch Haye, I watch those you listed and I think Haye can do it based on his performances in the victories I mentioned.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #67
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
i forgot about your low opinion of Haye until this bump.
My opinion of Haye has actually risen with his 5 round beating of 28 year-old journeyman contender Chisora. Probably his most impressive HW win/performance to date.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #68
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

I tentatively go for Haye I feel his speed may be the key in this match up
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #69
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
I would say Farr over Wood**** as well, in durability and boxing. But Wood**** hit harder and was a good basic upright boxer too. These two are arguably Britain's best HWs.

people can and will argue for Cooper or Bugner or Wells or ****ell (a L-HW), or in this case Peterson, or Lewis, who I think Canada deserves credit for and these Lewis's breed are no longer Hws anyway but S-HW.

But Haye would have a hard time with some of these boys, quite simply they fought in a more competetive era. Someone also made the mistake of refering to 'domestic' level. There was no such thing back then, they were world classed or they weren't and the British title was second only to the world title.

completely different world of boxing then, completely!
I make you right there, I was thinking the same when I read the point you are referring to.
AlFrancis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum