Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: As an ATG where is DLH ranked at LW/WW. And was he one of the best LW's ever?

The big problem with rating Oscar historically is that his physical attributes and skills never perfectly aligned with one another.

While he was a huge LW with immense physical dimensions for that weight to go with his frightening power, from a technical standpoint, he wasn't superb down there. He'd blast most elite LWs out of there, but at best he's fringe top 10, more likely top 15 all time at the weight.

He was still a physical monster at 140, and his skills had improved significantly at that weight as well. He's a top 10 all-time LWW in my opinion, upper scale as well.

He was even more skilled at 147, but his physical advantages weren't nearly as pronounced there. Hence, his WW rating is similar to his LW rating, probably a little higher.

At Super Welterweight, under Floyd Sr. from 2001 to 2003, Oscar was in my opinion at his best from a technical standpoint, and had the most versatility in his attack to go with much-improved counterpunching and parrying/head movement, at the expense of more of the punching power/physical advantages he had held earlier in his career. However, given 154 has been a historically young and thin division so far, Oscar gets a high rating there as well, from a H2H standpoint.

Basically, the problem is that as he got more skilled, he moved up in weight, which reduced some of his physical advantages and prevented a truly long, dominant run from taking place at any single weight class. The Oscar that had the best blend of physical advantage and skills was the 140 version though, in my opinion at least.
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: As an ATG where is DLH ranked at LW/WW. And was he one of the best LW's ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan16 View Post
The big problem with rating Oscar historically is that his physical attributes and skills never perfectly aligned with one another.

While he was a huge LW with immense physical dimensions for that weight to go with his frightening power, from a technical standpoint, he wasn't superb down there. He'd blast most elite LWs out of there, but at best he's fringe top 10, more likely top 15 all time at the weight.

He was still a physical monster at 140, and his skills had improved significantly at that weight as well. He's a top 10 all-time LWW in my opinion, upper scale as well.

He was even more skilled at 147, but his physical advantages weren't nearly as pronounced there. Hence, his WW rating is similar to his LW rating, probably a little higher.

At Super Welterweight, under Floyd Sr. from 2001 to 2003, Oscar was in my opinion at his best from a technical standpoint, and had the most versatility in his attack to go with much-improved counterpunching and parrying/head movement, at the expense of more of the punching power/physical advantages he had held earlier in his career. However, given 154 has been a historically young and thin division so far, Oscar gets a high rating there as well, from a H2H standpoint.

Basically, the problem is that as he got more skilled, he moved up in weight, which reduced some of his physical advantages and prevented a truly long, dominant run from taking place at any single weight class. The Oscar that had the best blend of physical advantage and skills was the 140 version though, in my opinion at least.
He was pretty impressive at 140...no doubt, but he did have unbelievable power at LW
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

I would have liked to seen him and Mosley fight at 140...I wonder what the outcome of that fight woulda been, hopefully different than at WW.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

I think Oscar was a very dangerous lightweight, but i'd certainly not say he'd blast most elite lightweights out, nor put him top ten-fifteen calibre.

As mentioned his skills and physical dominance didn't quite align.He may have looked a beast starching C level guys and a few aging or blown up 130lbers(i did think he was impressive against Genaro myself) but when he had already gone the distance with one of the best fighters he fought in Molina and shown plenty of signs there that craftier, more talented than simply ordinary fighters being able to nullify the physical edges to an extent, i'm not going to say he blows out much better fighters too often.

I'd put him on a similar level to someone like Rosario at lightweight.But less proven.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I think Oscar was a very dangerous lightweight, but i'd certainly not say he'd blast most elite lightweights out, nor put him top ten-fifteen calibre.

As mentioned his skills and physical dominance didn't quite align.He may have looked a beast starching C level guys and a few aging or blown up 130lbers(i did think he was impressive against Genaro myself) but when he had already gone the distance with one of the best fighters he fought in Molina and shown plenty of signs there that craftier, more talented than simply ordinary fighters being able to nullify the physical edges to an extent, i'm not going to say he blows out much better fighters too often.

I'd put him on a similar level to someone like Rosario at lightweight.But less proven.
Id put him a little higher than Rosario....but under Duran, somewhere in between.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

DLH was very impressive vs Genaro!!!.....He looked great
Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #22
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Hernandez is a bad example...

Why?
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #23
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Why?
Cause DLH was busting his ass, and had he not quit he was goin down for sure...So just cause he didnt drop him dont mean shit...Like i said Hernandez quit with a shattered nose, he did the right thing.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #24
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

I just rewatched the DLH vs Camacho fight for the first time in awhile..I dont think I gave Hector 1 round...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #25
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Cause DLH was busting his ass, and had he not quit he was goin down for sure...So just cause he didnt drop him dont mean shit...Like i said Hernandez quit with a shattered nose, he did the right thing.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Ya Duran got Smoked by Tommy.......And!?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:

This never gets old...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
His power was very good at lightweight but it wasn't the same as Hearns' at WW or Tyson at HW anything like that. Yeah, he knocked over Paez, Ruelas, etc but failed to even drop Molina or Hernandez.
he dropped molina twice i think nearly had him out early
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Ya Duran got Smoked by Tommy.......And!?
And?
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #30
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
And?

I though he did drop Molina!...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum