Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #736
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A cut above my left nose
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
Depends on your built
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

What also seemed to happen after the 50s/60s is that hipsize began to increase too which in turn led to somewhat bigger bodies.
I'm aware that there are different bodytypes, but even so there is no way a man who's say six foot one should weigh in the 240s, I don't care how stocky or wide he is. Look at Ray Mercer. Very similar build to Sam Peter but was fighting like a beast at 215.

Was Dereck Chisora really a natural 37lbs heavier than Haye or did he just not train as hard? While I agree that heavyweights on the whole have naturally become larger men, there has also been a corresponding decline in hard training resulting in overweight blobs like Arreola and Solis blubbering up the scene.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #737
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A cut above my left nose
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Indeed. Some of their posts paint such a strange caricature of Marciano, saying he has faster hands and feet than Wlad.
The way both fighters are described it makes me think they have something like prime Tyson vs Helenius in their mind.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #738
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Sorry meant to write PURRITY not BREWSTER.

Look how "cartoonish" the weigh in between Simon and Joe Louis looks. Looks like a little boy vs a man. Louis knocked him out twice as he did with all the huge fighters he faced.

Cant get around that Wlad was Koed so decisively and so comically three times by fighters so very much inferior to Rocky Marciano. I throw size out the window...the greater fighter will win and the greater fighter is NOT Wlad.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #739
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
Sorry meant to write PURRITY not BREWSTER.

Look how "cartoonish" the weigh in between Simon and Joe Louis looks. Looks like a little boy vs a man. Louis knocked him out twice as he did with all the huge fighters he faced.

Cant get around that Wlad was Koed so decisively and so comically three times by fighters so very much inferior to Rocky Marciano. I throw size out the window...the greater fighter will win and the greater fighter is NOT Wlad.
What do you think would happen to Louis' power if he wasn't wearing 5 and 6 ounce gloves but 10 or 12 ouncers?
rusak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #740
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
I throw size out the window...the greater fighter will win and the greater fighter is NOT Wlad.
So, Panama Al Brown would KO Frans Botha?

And who says Wlad is not the greater fighter? He has been the best heavyweight longer for as long as Marciano had a career in the sport. There is at least an argument to made there.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #741
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 1551
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
What do you think would happen to Louis' power if he wasn't wearing 5 and 6 ounce gloves but 10 or 12 ouncers?
Bigger gloves have more padding, heavier gloves make your hand slower.

The energy transfer stays the same but he would lose his sharpness.
dyna is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #742
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
Bigger gloves have more padding, heavier gloves make your hand slower.

The energy transfer stays the same but he would lose his sharpness.
Yeah, less speed, more weight and surface area. The trade off could very well be quite profitable, or not.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #743
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Yeah, less speed, more weight and surface area. The trade off could very well be quite profitable, or not.
It's quite clear that bigger gloves result in less "powerful" punches. The extra weight of the larger gloves is basically negligible and considerably less than the typical heavyweight's fluctuations in weight from fight to fight. However, the extra padding means that the fist comes to a stop slower and the force of the punch is spread over a greater surface area.

I think the question of glove size is an important one and one that doesn't get enough attention on here.
rusak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #744
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A cut above my left nose
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
It's quite clear that bigger gloves result in less "powerful" punches. The extra weight of the larger gloves is basically negligible and considerably less than the typical heavyweight's fluctuations in weight from fight to fight. However, the extra padding means that the fist comes to a stop slower and the force of the punch is spread over a greater surface area.

I think the question of glove size is an important one and one that doesn't get enough attention on here.
I think smaller gloves allow one to punch with more sharpness and pinpoint accuracy whilst heavier gloves force one to punch with more concussive force in order to do the corresponding amount of damage. A fighter in Louis's day could focus their power more into their fist and sneak shots in through smaller gaps in an opponent's defence. Fighters of the modern era have to power through their targets with brute force, hence the general increase in heavier and more muscular men dominating the game. They can also afford not to be as accurate as fighters of the past since the extra padding puts them at less risk of breaking their hand on a hard part of their opponent's noggin. Just my theory.

I wonder how many knockouts a fighter like Mayweather or Ward would have had back in the day.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #745
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 1551
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
I think smaller gloves allow one to punch with more sharpness and pinpoint accuracy whilst heavier gloves force one to punch with more concussive force in order to do the corresponding amount of damage. A fighter in Louis's day could focus their power more into their fist and sneak shots in through smaller gaps in an opponent's defence. Fighters of the modern era have to power through their targets with brute force, hence the general increase in heavier and more muscular men dominating the game. They can also afford not to be as accurate as fighters of the past since the extra padding puts them at less risk of breaking their hand on a hard part of their opponent's noggin. Just my theory.

I wonder how many knockouts a fighter like Mayweather or Ward would have had back in the day.
Mayweather has very good power, maybe more so than Manny...
But he also has very brittle hands.

The extra padding might be nice for him.
dyna is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #746
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
I think smaller gloves allow one to punch with more sharpness and pinpoint accuracy whilst heavier gloves force one to punch with more concussive force in order to do the corresponding amount of damage. A fighter in Louis's day could focus their power more into their fist and sneak shots in through smaller gaps in an opponent's defence. Fighters of the modern era have to power through their targets with brute force, hence the general increase in heavier and more muscular men dominating the game. They can also afford not to be as accurate as fighters of the past since the extra padding puts them at less risk of breaking their hand on a hard part of their opponent's noggin. Just my theory.

I wonder how many knockouts a fighter like Mayweather or Ward would have had back in the day.
The extra weight of the larger gloves in itself is negligible. One pound is 16 ounces. The typical heavyweight fluctuates more than that from fight to fight. The fact that the fist comes to a stop slower and that the force is spread over a greater area results in less damaging punches. I have no doubt that guys like Marciano and Louis would have significantly lower KO ratios if they fought in modern gloves. Or at the very least, their KOs would come later in fights.
rusak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #747
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Since Seamus is voting for Rocky... that pretty much means it's a given he would win.. end thread now please...
KuRuPT is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #748
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,443
vCash: 239
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Dumbass'ess . Bigger gloves are for protection.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #749
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Weight matters at lower weight divisions so your comparison is not valid. Marciano at 190 pounds would have the power to Ko any heavyweight no matter what the weight.

Marciano would never lose to anyone with the low skill level of Ross Purity. Wlad lost THREE TIMES by KO...being Koed in comical fashion all three times. You cant wish those losses away, you cant wish away the amateurish and comical fashion he was Koed THREE times. Watch those three KO losses again and tell me are those the characteristics of a great all time fighter? Do you see any other all time great hwt lose three times by KO in that fashion? You don't and it begs the question....what happens when Marciano one of boxings all time hitters HITS that chin, the same chin Purity hit and caved in? Make no mistake Rocky as well as Louis and Dempsey ALL would hit that same chin......and you think Wlad is going just walk through those shots? No chance. Wlad cant take it both physically and mentally. Your not beating any of these fighters if your not ready and able to take some terrific shots.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #750
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A cut above my left nose
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
The extra weight of the larger gloves in itself is negligible. One pound is 16 ounces. The typical heavyweight fluctuates more than that from fight to fight. The fact that the fist comes to a stop slower and that the force is spread over a greater area results in less damaging punches. I have no doubt that guys like Marciano and Louis would have significantly lower KO ratios if they fought in modern gloves. Or at the very least, their KOs would come later in fights.
I didn't say they allow one to punch with more concussive force but that they force them to in order to hurt their opponents to the same degree. Hence the reason why most of the big punchers of the last two decades have all been large or solidly built men. They're the ones who are able to make their power count.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013