Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Stamina

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieMaize View Post
Get out of here..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Yea nah nah you've got no reason to lie, like you said you can run all day so you choose to sprint rather then jog
SP_Mauler is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #18
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

If you're sprinting 200 metres then jogging 100 metres then subsequent 200 metre 'sprints' are not going to be sprints, more like runs. You're basically just doing aerobic training after a few 200 metres so it's not really sprint training at all.
If you're running to get fit then you need to decide what energy system you want to target.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP_Mauler View Post
Yea nah nah you've got no reason to lie, like you said you can run all day so you choose to sprint rather then jog
Ok I lied. Bye.
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #20
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
If you're sprinting 200 metres then jogging 100 metres then subsequent 200 metre 'sprints' are not going to be sprints, more like runs. You're basically just doing aerobic training after a few 200 metres so it's not really sprint training at all.
If you're running to get fit then you need to decide what energy system you want to target.
Ok I see. Its not called sprint training then. You are right. When I say sprint, I run at ~ 80% speed using long steps. What I do helps me, so tried to help the OP with the same. That's pretty much it.
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ray Arcel called it 'sharpening your wind.' What he suggested was this: Alternately sprint, run or jog, for varying durations. Have somebody call out sprint, for example, then "run". Keep up for 3 minutes, then walk as fast as you can for 1 minute, then start the next round. Do this for as many rounds as you are going to be fighting.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #22
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
Ray Arcel called it 'sharpening your wind.' What he suggested was this: Alternately sprint, run or jog, for varying durations. Have somebody call out sprint, for example, then "run". Keep up for 3 minutes, then walk as fast as you can for 1 minute, then start the next round. Do this for as many rounds as you are going to be fighting.
I don't think that's a very effective way of building fitness, you'd be better of doing intervals for three minute rounds, say 15 seconds on 15 seconds off. That way you can keep intensity high and stay around your VO2 max for longer to improve it. Running for three minutes is just aerobic training, after 30 seconds or so it's aerobic and you're not going to be able to get near your VO2 max.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #23
twinwonw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

Most of the guys already mentioned sprints and HIT workouts, but what I did that greatly increased my stamina was 4 mile jog 3 times a week, a 12 minute ( 30 second sprints and 1 minute jog keep cycling until 12 minute is complete, increase the time when you get better) 2 times a week.

If I can't go for a jog then I would do 10 burpees, 30 mountain climbers, and 10 jumping squats then rest for 30 second then do it again for 3~5 rounds.
twinwonw is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #24
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Nobody's saying burpees are bad, you just need to diversify the training.
Burpees are a great conditioning too, but like anything else can be fairly limiting in overall benefits so definitely in moderation.

And I don't think anyone can put a number on how many are good, but if your sparring sessions are lacking because your legs are too tired/heavy, then definitely do less burpees.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #25
BattlingIyan

Spar, spar, and spar more. Hardly worked on conditioning-specific exercises besides jumprope and I just sparred+pads for conditioning and BOXING-wise (which is all that matters for competition), my stamina was awesome. As people said, nothing gets you prepared more for boxing than boxing itself.
BattlingIyan is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #26
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post

The 'scientific nonsense' that every other sport of the top of my head has adopted
It obviously isn't good for boxing the boxers now are worse and more out of shape than the ones from the 20's 30's ect...
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #27
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
It obviously isn't good for boxing the boxers now are worse and more out of shape than the ones from the 20's 30's ect...
That has nothing to do with it.
pecho26 is online now  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #28
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecho26 View Post
That has nothing to do with it.
Really why don't you think about the question dumbshit...

QUESTION: I've start doing 100 Burpees a day in 5 sets of 20, working up to 2 sets of 50 then adding another set to make it 3 sets of 50 a day. Also doing a few rounds of padwork a day with a training partner. I run 3.5 miles every second day but i feel like this isn't working should i be doing sprint intervals instead ?

And im saying well maybe you should try doing it the way they did back then instead of sprinting ect and all the other crap they do now cause as you say its not working and back then they had better stamina...
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #29
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

THINK NEXT TIME....
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #30
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
THINK NEXT TIME....
I was qouting your incredibly stupid statement that: "scientific advances arent good for boxing cause nowdays boxers get tired quicker"
Think next time.
So if Marvin Hagler ran in army boots 15 miles every day so should i right?Cause obviously it worked for him.
pecho26 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing