Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #46
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Your scorecard for Muhammad Ali vs. Ken Norton III?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
If Mercante says it was a close fight...it was a close fight. NOTHING beats watching any fight live and I concurred with the ref..it was a close very hard fight to score. And I did score it for Norton that night by one point and i did not give him the last round.
So-called reputable officials also have bills to pay. And you have to be blind in both eyes or batshit crazy to score that shit for Ali.
rusak is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #47
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
Kenny kicked his ****ing ass... twice!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Quoted for truth.
rusak is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #48
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
ALI: 1,3,7,9,10,11
NORTON,2,4,5,6,8,13,14,15
EVEN: 12

8-6-1 Norton.

Incidently, the broadcast teams panel of experts who scored the fight - if you score EVERY round at least one of these guys gave to Ali you can make it 8-7 for him. That is, they all scored for Norton individually, but if you give every round any one of them deemed possibly Ali's, you come up with the same scorecard as the referee and judges.
Depends how you score it really it was a hard fight to score, you have Norton who was constantly plodding forward landing the harder shots but less often while pressing the action and then you got Ali staying on the outside throwing and landing more often but very few were power shots.

Even just rewatching the final round you have Ali landing more, staying on the outside using his flicking jab to score, landed a few decent right hands and a left hook but Norton lands 3 or 4 good right hands that land with a THUD that get the crowd frenzied then had a short rally at the end of the round. Norton's style certainly evokes more emotion and gets you fired up
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #49
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Mendoza wrote : 9-5-1 was my card, and the official result is one of the worst decisions in boxing history between two highly ranked fighters.
Quote:
That is utterly ludicrous, I actually cannot believe you have even said this.

Preposterous.
OK, show me a multiple decisions in 15 round fights between two fighters who were or would be champions. I don't think you'll find many, hence my point that this is one of the worst decisions ( NOT FIXES ) in boxing history between two highly ranked fighters stands.

This wasn't a close 12 round 7-5 type of match where the wrong guy won. Ali was down at least three rounds.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #50
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

So it's now 15 round fights all of a sudden? Because I can name numerous, far worse robberies from just the last couple of years.

I had it 8-6-1 to Norton, so I completely disagree with you that "Ali was down at least three rounds." I have it two rounds. Some people have it to Ali, or drawn.

Try tracking down a card for Bradley over Pacquiao or Holyfield to draw with Lewis in one or Rios-Abril. These are utterly disgusting robberies with absolutely no case for the opposing card. Ali-Norton is not, no matter how much you want it to be.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #51
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
So it's now 15 round fights all of a sudden? Because I can name numerous, far worse robberies from just the last couple of years.

I had it 8-6-1 to Norton, so I completely disagree with you that "Ali was down at least three rounds." I have it two rounds. Some people have it to Ali, or drawn.

Try tracking down a card for Bradley over Pacquiao or Holyfield to draw with Lewis in one or Rios-Abril. These are utterly disgusting robberies with absolutely no case for the opposing card. Ali-Norton is not, no matter how much you want it to be.
Yes, we are talking about a 15 round fight, so compare apples to apples.

While the Lewis vs Holy draw was a bad call, it was closer than Ali vs Norton III. I have not seen Rios-Abril.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #52
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Well more than a few people in this thread have it as close as a single point.

I have it close myself. I wouldn't even call it a robbery, frankly. I thought Ellis-Patterson was far worse. Associated Press (ringside) had the third Norton fight 9-6 to Ali, but Ellis-Patterson 7-4 to Patterson.

Dick Young, writing from ringside: "Clearly, Norton did NOT beat Ali badly...this writer had it even at the end of fourteen, and so did the card of two judges."

Young scored the final round, and therefore the fight, to Norton.

The same as a lot of us.

Pretending this is one of the biggest robberies in history is utterly preposterous.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #53
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

I agree, McGrain. I think what gets up most people's arses (myself included) is that this should have been Norton's big moment, and he would have had it were it not for the fact he was fighting a celebrity boxer. And, for a certain kind of fan, Norton is an extremely likeable boxer, whereas Ali is hated. I don't hate Ali, but I do have a lot of time for Norton, and I'm annoyed that he didn't get his big win.

However, that doesn't make it the worst robbery ever or anything like that. It's a mirror of this: I'm not an Oscar fan and if anything I'm closer to a Tito fan, but I do think he was robbed vs. Trinidad.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #54
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Well more than a few people in this thread have it as close as a single point.

I have it close myself. I wouldn't even call it a robbery, frankly. I thought Ellis-Patterson was far worse. Associated Press (ringside) had the third Norton fight 9-6 to Ali, but Ellis-Patterson 7-4 to Patterson.

Dick Young, writing from ringside: "Clearly, Norton did NOT beat Ali badly...this writer had it even at the end of fourteen, and so did the card of two judges."

Young scored the final round, and therefore the fight, to Norton.

The same as a lot of us.

Pretending this is one of the biggest robberies in history is utterly preposterous.

Could n't agree more,McGrain. Far more suspect results than Ali-Norton III are brought up a lot less.

Last edited by Stevie G; 01-09-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #55
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Ali admitted he felt he lost: at 0:18
BORKED
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #56
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I actually think Walcott vs. Louis 1 was a bigger robbery!!! Just playing McGrain Walcott did win though lol
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #57
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
Ali admitted he felt he lost: at 0:18
BORKED
Well, this clip should clarify the issue, Norton deserved the win - there have been WORSE decisions yes, but that's another issue; factis, Ali admits here what many feel, Norton should have been declared victorious.

In my eyes, Norton became the Heavyweight Champion of the World that night. Not only was Norton denied the championship, he was also denied his place on the roll call of champions...which is a robbery in itself.
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #58
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Norton stated later that this fight really soured him on the politics of boxing and he never took it quite as seriously after this fight. He knew he won but he also was very fond of Ali as a person. He knew without Ali at the top those monster paydays would never materialize against a Holmes or a Young.
Sardu is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum