Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #46
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Stamina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Name one modern heavyweight who was quicker than Ali or Floyd Patterson?
Name one Cruiserweight that can hit harder than Marciano or Dempsey
Name one heavyweight or cruiserweight that has more stamina than Rocky marciano

If all this modern shit is so good why aren't these guys today better than the ''old'' guys of the past...
How the hell can you say the guys today aren't better than the guys of the past if they haven't fought them? You don't know how good those guys were because they were fighting other undersized guys with poor nutrition and training. Anybody who is honest knows that most of the all time greats would only be journeymen these days. Old school boxers have no sharpness or explosion. Great fighters like Patterson.. he was an undersized cruiserweight. If you're 250 pounds you're not going to have the aerobic endurance of an 180 pound man, that's not how the human body works. It's a different time so stop trying to compare. Your heavyweight heroes are little boys in comparison. Compare Patterson to Andre Ward if you must, they're about the same size.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #47
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
How the hell can you say the guys today aren't better than the guys of the past if they haven't fought them? You don't know how good those guys were because they were fighting other undersized guys with poor nutrition and training. Anybody who is honest knows that most of the all time greats would only be journeymen these days. Old school boxers have no sharpness or explosion. Great fighters like Patterson.. he was an undersized cruiserweight. If you're 250 pounds you're not going to have the aerobic endurance of an 180 pound man, that's not how the human body works. It's a different time so stop trying to compare. Your heavyweight heroes are little boys in comparison. Compare Patterson to Andre Ward if you must, they're about the same size.
Wow theres no arguing with you your head is so up your own ass you cant even take valid points, and Patterson would beat Ward if thats what your saying... Patterson was the fastest heavyweight combination puncher and would beat Andre, andre dosent have any power so couldnt knock out Patterson. I know you wont think hell win cause your head is once again up your ass so far you cant see out of your shit goggles old man or young dousche whichever one it is... dont bother replying i cant be bothered talking to an idiot.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #48
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Wow theres no arguing with you your head is so up your own ass you cant even take valid points, and Patterson would beat Ward if thats what your saying... Patterson was the fastest heavyweight combination puncher and would beat Andre, andre dosent have any power so couldnt knock out Patterson. I know you wont think hell win cause your head is once again up your ass so far you cant see out of your shit goggles old man or young dousche whichever one it is... dont bother replying i cant be bothered talking to an idiot.
My head is up my own ass? All I did was make some extremely valid points, we'll never know who wins between Patterson and Ward. My point was that they're the same size, Ward couldn't beat Wlad now could he? If you don't reply it's because you have no answer, nothing to do with me.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #49
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Dealt with not sure if your on the wind up but marcel cerdan was a beautiful boxer as was Burley and Patterson. I do think its ridiculous when people talk about bob fitz etc when there is nothing to watch of them 'master feinter' lol...

The advancements in sports science mean athletes should be stronger but it's immeasurable really. In terms of boxing skill alone though the old guys are more advanced generally then boxers today.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #50
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Thats the things,boxers were really skillfull back in the days.More so then boxers today.Especially in the hw division.
But thruth be told they did do stupid shit all the time(s&c wise,nutrition),in some ways considering that we have to thank them,cause we can see what wrong and what right.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #51
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Dealt with not sure if your on the wind up but marcel cerdan was a beautiful boxer as was Burley and Patterson. I do think its ridiculous when people talk about bob fitz etc when there is nothing to watch of them 'master feinter' lol...

The advancements in sports science mean athletes should be stronger but it's immeasurable really. In terms of boxing skill alone though the old guys are more advanced generally then boxers today.
Yeah Burley, Patterson are great boxers. I haven't seen enough of Cerdan to make a judgement really. I just think it's stupid to compare heavyweights of the past to guys of today, old school heavyweights are really light heavys and cruisers so of course they are going to be more skilled, generally speaking. I also think the most skilled boxers today are more skilled than the top guys of the past from the video I've seen. Really I think it's an exercise in futility trying to measure fighters from different eras against each other. Apart from when you see fighters from the 20's-40's, those guys are noticeably inferior in every aspect of boxing and athleticism.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #52
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Yeah Burley, Patterson are great boxers. I haven't seen enough of Cerdan to make a judgement really. I just think it's stupid to compare heavyweights of the past to guys of today, old school heavyweights are really light heavys and cruisers so of course they are going to be more skilled, generally speaking. I also think the most skilled boxers today are more skilled than the top guys of the past from the video I've seen. Really I think it's an exercise in futility trying to measure fighters from different eras against each other. Apart from when you see fighters from the 20's-40's, those guys are noticeably inferior in every aspect of boxing and athleticism.
I partly agree with you- but your looking at HD images. With all the modern slow mo's and jazzyness.

If you look deeper- beyond the punching, there is a lot of skill that is so subtle you have to watch again and again to see it.

Also worth noting is tha some birds,through generations lose their wings due to lack of use- they are surplus to requirement. I'd venture that the work capacity of our recent ancestors was a lot higher then now- especially with the diminishing amount of manual labour, easier transport, sit down hobbies etc etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #53
Don't Sleep
Personal Trainer
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay. View Post
Trying to get my stamina up to start competing in the amateurs, does anyone have any advice on how to do this ?
I've start doing 100 Burpees a day in 5 sets of 20, working up to 2 sets of 50 then adding another set to make it 3 sets of 50 a day. Also doing a few rounds of padwork a day with a training partner. I run 3.5 miles every second day but i feel like this isn't working should i be doing sprint intervals instead ?

I enjoy the pain of pushing myself harder and i'm willing to do anything even if it kills me lol does anyone have any high intensity ways of increasing stamina, I'd really like to try them out.
Infinite Intensity by Ross Enamait.
Don't Sleep is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #54
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

dealt with, you're an idiot who doesn't know shit if you don't think Dempsey was not explosive.

You also don't seem to understand punching mechanics, so there is no wonder why you haven't posted a video of you punching.

Dempsey reminds me of a heavyweight Pacquaio the way he could move around the ring at his best.

You're a fool if you think he was slow and plodding.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #55
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

There is nothing to watch about Fitz, but Jack Johnson held him in very high esteem, and if you watch footage of Jack Johnson, you can tell that he's a master boxer in the mold of Bernard Hopkins.

He also spoke very intelligently about styles. Many people today discredit Dempsey because he was duckin Wills. While that may be true, the outcome of the fight may not have anything to do with that.

And according to Johnson, it didn't. He said that Wills style was made for Dempsey. And if you look at Wills, you'll see that it's true, as his straight up and down style was made for a bobbing and weaving, explosive, low to the ground fighter like Dempsey.

At the same time, Tunney was similiar to Marquez in the sense that his heavy emphasis on footwork, pivots, and and counterpunching made it very difficult for Dempsey to implement his gameplan.

dealt with is a ****in idiot that's probably never seen any footage of the man.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #56
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I partly agree with you- but your looking at HD images. With all the modern slow mo's and jazzyness.

If you look deeper- beyond the punching, there is a lot of skill that is so subtle you have to watch again and again to see it.

Also worth noting is tha some birds,through generations lose their wings due to lack of use- they are surplus to requirement. I'd venture that the work capacity of our recent ancestors was a lot higher then now- especially with the diminishing amount of manual labour, easier transport, sit down hobbies etc etc.
Its the Truth Jeff, we Havent a Clue. My Father was at Dunkirk when the 1st Shot was fired. When the 2nd was Fired He was in Dover, thats Power and Speed.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #57
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Its the Truth Jeff, we Havent a Clue. My Father was at Dunkirk when the 1st Shot was fired. When the 2nd was Fired He was in Dover, thats Power and Speed.
Explain h you've lost me
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #58
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Explain h you've lost me
It would take to long, you could write a Book on Why .
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #59
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Evolution doesn't happen in 100 years, the top athletes of today are better than older athletes in every event, there's no reason to think boxing is different. Old footage tends to look faster than it was and the old timers still look slow and plodding. And yeah I must be missing the subtle skill, people jizz over Burley but I don't see him doing anything that Hopkins or Toney didn't do, I haven't seen fighters do things Mayweather and Jones couldn't do, and I've never seen a fighter as complete as Lomachenko. In general people are probably lazier than they've ever been but genetic expression is altered by lifestyle, if you have someone active from a young age then their work capacity would be exactly the same, probably advanced even because of nutrition and knowledge.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #60
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
dealt with, you're an idiot who doesn't know shit if you don't think Dempsey was not explosive.

You also don't seem to understand punching mechanics, so there is no wonder why you haven't posted a video of you punching.

Dempsey reminds me of a heavyweight Pacquaio the way he could move around the ring at his best.

You're a fool if you think he was slow and plodding.

Yeah look at this tight, skilled, explosive boxing:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

He's from an era of rock 'em sock' em robots who wrestle half the time and don't protect their chins. Dempsey reminds me of a hobo fighting in the local park, thank god boxing has progressed.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing