Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default damien hooper. is mundine responsible for his bad attitude?

damien hooper. ive no doubt, mundine has been, and is his hero. both are indigenous.

hooper seems to have grabbed all the 'attitudes' of mundine. playing the race card. using his indigenous heritage as an excuse to blame others for his behaviour. as an excuse to show a lack of respect for other people, and rules.

while mundine never has behaved badly in public, probably due to his sobriety, hooper, wears his culture on his sleve. he has misbehaved more than once in public already, and seems to be part of his makeup. lets hope not. we all make mistakes at 20yo...the kid must be given a chance. lets face it. aussie boxing needs another world class fighter. he'd could do himself and his culture a favour by becoming a possitive role model. not, like one wag has suggested, "just another shackle shaker.."

still, even without alcohol, mundine did his damage by disrespecting other aussie athletes and former sporting greats. so vain is he, he rubbished kathy freeman, and declared himself 'boxings bradman'...

Mark Twain said, “History doesn’t repeat itself. But it does rhyme.”

swingin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: damien hooper. is mundine responsible for his bad attitude?

[quote=swingin;14548725] using his indigenous heritage as an excuse to blame others for his behaviour. as an excuse to show a lack of respect for other people, and rules.

Can you site an example where he has said it's because he's Indigenous that he gets away with this behaviour, or are you just making an assumption based on him being Indigenous.
I agree that he exhibits anti social behaviour, however don't make it a racial issue without any evidence.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
LeBeave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Sadly this is a common trend for a lot of young aboriginal men nowadays..... Whether we can solely blame Mundine is a contentious issue.

My personal opinion is Hooper obviously has some deep seeded issues regardless of Mundines actions over the last 15yrs
LeBeave is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=Bwgcolman;14548777]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
using his indigenous heritage as an excuse to blame others for his behaviour. as an excuse to show a lack of respect for other people, and rules.

Can you site an example where he has said it's because he's Indigenous that he gets away with this behaviour, or are you just making an assumption based on him being Indigenous.
I agree that he exhibits anti social behaviour, however don't make it a racial issue without any evidence.
dont get me wrong. im all for indigenous people respecting themselves, their culture and claiming a special place in our society. i personally saw nothing wrong with kathy freeman flying the indigenous flag along with the australian one at the olympics. but put it in perspective. she had just WON AN OLYMPIC GOLD IN AUSTRALIA. hooper wore a indigenous t shirt to a boxing heat in the olympics overseas. he hadnt won anything, and all he did was cater to his own ideas, not respect what an australian team is.

had he won an olympic medal, and wore both flags like freeman, he could be forgiven. but all he did was break rules he knew were in place, just because he wanted to. he achieved nothing but gave an insight into the chip on his shoulder and his lack of respect for team mates and people who had given him a wonderful opportunity.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I understand that and agree with you about the Olympics however you stated that: " using his indigenous heritage as an excuse to blame others for his behaviour." How has he done this?

Would the same thing be said about Katsidis breaking that young blokes jaw at a party and going to jail, or Ben Cruz selling drugs and going to jail?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
LeBeave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Cathy with a big C ...... just like you, a big C
LeBeave is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwgcolman View Post
" using his indigenous heritage as an excuse to blame others for his behaviour." How has he done this?
well as with the t shirt incident, he blamed others for the rules, not himself for putting the thing on...

how would you all feel if a lebanese boxer fighting for australia put on a leb flag t shirt? where do you draw the line?
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
whipsy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

My word u are a bigger ****wit than I even imagined,. It's like implying that you are responsible for every obnoxious,annoying as all **** wanker that get on forums and create thread after thread or boring uneducated bullshit.
whipsy is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipsy View Post
My word u are a bigger ****wit than I even imagined,. It's like implying that you are responsible for every obnoxious,annoying as all **** wanker that get on forums and create thread after thread or boring uneducated bullshit.
you are correct. the term 'role models' is just plain stupid. kids dont copy their heroes... nor should so called role models be concious of their effect on growing kids minds.

NRL and AFL clubs go way over the top in keeping their players in check. rolemodels is just bullshit, eh whipping boy....
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
well as with the t shirt incident, he blamed others for the rules, not himself for putting the thing on...

how would you all feel if a lebanese boxer fighting for australia put on a leb flag t shirt? where do you draw the line?
1: Pretty sure he apologised to the AOC, took responsibility and explained the reasons behind wearing the shirt.
"AOC spokesman Damian Kelly says Hooper has apologised and will not be wearing the flag shirt again in London."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people are the first people of Australia and therefore are in a different situation to migrants or the children of migrants who represent Australia. Also the Aboriginal and Torres Strait flags are officialy recognised as flags of Australia.

This does not excuse Hooper's behaviour with the police, I agree that he acts like a ****wit and is immature, however it's not a racial issue, more so an issue of being a ****wit, which crosses all races and socio-economic boundaries.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Yes he is. Mundine is responsible for everything Damien Hooper does.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeave View Post
Sadly this is a common trend for a lot of young aboriginal men nowadays..... Whether we can solely blame Mundine is a contentious issue.

My personal opinion is Hooper obviously has some deep seeded issues regardless of Mundines actions over the last 15yrs
I think it's problem with all youth not just aboriginal. To blame mundine is very naive.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

While Hooper does appear to need an attitude adjustment I don't think his behaviour can be blamed on Mundine's actions in the past.

Some people are just loose cannons and either sort themselves out eventually or never do. We'll just have to wait and see what Hooper does.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
I think it's problem with all youth not just aboriginal. To blame mundine is very naive.
well to blame him completely is over the top. but to say he hasnt had some influence as an indigenous role model would be naive..

really, only hooper can explain some of his issues. i would hope some scribe, mate, trainer, relative, role model, etc, sits him down and asks him some tough questions. some well thought out insightful questions that may lead daniel to look within himself and as to what are his motives for the occaisional er, tantrum.

ironically it may well be that another 'indigenous daniel' that could help the kid. whose corner hooper is supporting in the geale vs mundine fight may well provide an insight into what his career and future will become.

aussie boxing needs him in a healthy, possitive state. a half successful train wreck making national news is something we just dont need.

swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
cobba
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

I blame it on the carbon tax
cobba is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum