Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
AnexPlayer

vCash: 500
Default Having trouble sparring shorter opponent

I'm 6'2 weighing 150lb and my opponent is 5-6 inches shorter.He weighs the same but is much stronger than me.He usually rushes my body and walks right through my jabs and then gets me in a corner and gives me a beating.When i try to commit to a combo,he usually ends up very close to me and my punches are sorta reflected.We are both beginners by the way.Any tips will be appreciated.
AnexPlayer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
dzab

Default Re: Having trouble sparring shorter opponent

Develop a stiff jab and use it frequently. Also use your footwork to stay out of his range and to keep him at the end of your punches. Moving laterally with your feet will make it difficult for him to rush you. As your punches and footwork get sharper, I think this strategy could work very well for your build. It gets very frustrating fighting taller guys who pepper you with straight shots and run as soon as you try get in range!
dzab is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
markiepoop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 650

stick that jab out in his face to obstruct his vision and always keep circling. Watching Augie Sanchez vs Floyd Mayweather Jr (amatuers) is a good example of how you fight a shorter opponent.

Also, if he manages to come near you and have you against the ropes, you could always clinch him tightly to prevent him from working on the inside where you will be at the disadvantage.

in short, footwork + jab
markiepoop is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

pivot steps laterial movement and a hard jab...its ok to take a step back..but than jab and step around.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
Urone2
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

If your Jab is not good enough to keep him off learn to pivot left and right circle both directions and step to him, he keeping you on your heals taking your power away. Feint a step back and brin a straight power punch if you miss grab and hold. He making you run so hes in control of the ring you have to take that control back by not doing what he expect you to do. You have to learn to mix it up improve you inside game it may not be as good as his but make his pay for coming inside. Mayweather/Castillio Mayweather with a great jab great reflexes, and great foot work could keep Castillio out but to get there and once he was there it was no walk in the park. You have to make him want to fight where you want him to. For a tall guy your inside game is usually your weakest, don't be the normal tall guy, improve on you in fighting while you have this short opponent in front of you, work on short crisp punches, improve you jab. You will most likely be faced with short guys your whole career, and everyone of them will want to be inside work on making them wanting to step outside where you will do your best work. being a well rounded fighter will take you farther than being just able to be on the outside jabbing. If you watch him he coming to get inside when he gets there load up on a nice hook to the body or short sharp uppercut, and tell him hello welcome to my house. Grab and hold move to the out side jab, when he moves inside stand your ground and welcome him into your house again. Don't let him work the inside and when he get there make him feel like he made a mistake.
Urone2 is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

I'm usually a bit taller than my opponents as well.

It's boring, but a good jab is really necessary. Figure out how to neutralize his jab and land yours constantly, not while backing away.

Learn how to stop and counter. It's ok to make him chase you but at times you need to walk him into punches. Usually a straight right followed by a left uppercut or hook downstairs.

When he has you near the ropes, draw a punch and turn him into the ropes.

Fight him on the inside with body shots.

Watch a lot of Salvador Sanchez, Mike McCallum, Ricardo Lopez, Erik Morales, etc.

The biggest thing to remember when you're a tall fighter is you have to earn the opponent's respect early. Everybody expects to be stronger than you, hit harder than you, and to have to chase you. You have to shake up their gameplan by hurting them early on, usually to the body, or even with a jab. You aren't limited to backing up and throwing jabs and straight rights. Sometimes you need to initiate infighting and land a hard uppercut or bodyshot. Don't be a runner just because you're tall.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

The biggest problem is probably that your proportioning your weight badly between your front and back leg.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
Bazzel
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

stab him
Bazzel is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
AnexPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
The biggest problem is probably that your proportioning your weight badly between your front and back leg.
i recently started sitting with my punches .i used to lean forward when punching
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
AnexPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
I'm usually a bit taller than my opponents as well.

It's boring, but a good jab is really necessary. Figure out how to neutralize his jab and land yours constantly, not while backing away.

Learn how to stop and counter. It's ok to make him chase you but at times you need to walk him into punches. Usually a straight right followed by a left uppercut or hook downstairs.

When he has you near the ropes, draw a punch and turn him into the ropes.

Fight him on the inside with body shots.

Watch a lot of Salvador Sanchez, Mike McCallum, Ricardo Lopez, Erik Morales, etc.

The biggest thing to remember when you're a tall fighter is you have to earn the opponent's respect early. Everybody expects to be stronger than you, hit harder than you, and to have to chase you. You have to shake up their gameplan by hurting them early on, usually to the body, or even with a jab. You aren't limited to backing up and throwing jabs and straight rights. Sometimes you need to initiate infighting and land a hard uppercut or bodyshot. Don't be a runner just because you're tall.
its hard to prove that when they really are stronger.i think i just need more sparring,ive been boxing for 4 months now
Old 01-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
AnexPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzab View Post
Develop a stiff jab and use it frequently. Also use your footwork to stay out of his range and to keep him at the end of your punches. Moving laterally with your feet will make it difficult for him to rush you. As your punches and footwork get sharper, I think this strategy could work very well for your build. It gets very frustrating fighting taller guys who pepper you with straight shots and run as soon as you try get in range!
how do i make my jab "stiff"???
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnexPlayer View Post
Well done you just picked the worst piece of advice to investigate.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Watch how Wlad uses and varies the jab. There are so many ways to control distance with the lead hand.

It all starts at the feet though, worry about the base before anything else.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Watch how Wlad uses and varies the jab. There are so many ways to control distance with the lead hand.

It all starts at the feet though, worry about the base before anything else.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
AZ_40
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnexPlayer View Post
Peds
AZ_40 is offline  Top