Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Dunne - Cordoba

I've done this thread before but I can't find the link, rewatching the fight - what the hell was this event like...for those of you who were there, and those of you who were just TV observers?
Trail is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Dunne - Cordoba

McG/IB - switch this thread to British or General if you feel the need.
Trail is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail View Post
McG/IB - switch this thread to British or General if you feel the need.
Dunne.

eheheh
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
ah,sure
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2075

Unbelievable, unforgettable. The main event had everything and I don't think it'll ever be surpassed in Irish boxing.

From Dunne's 3rd round KD it looked like he might win it early on, but by the fifth round he was out on his feet, down twice, and he barely made it to the bell. I'll never forget him punching in the desperate hope of making it to his stool - one of his lunges connected with the ref. He was five seconds away from being stopped, also cut.

Somehow he summoned the energy to fight on and even more incredibly, he began to find his rhythm. It seemed he was winning a couple more rounds than he did but perhaps that was down to the fact that the place was going bananas.

The arena had been whipped into a frenzy after they showed the Ireland rugby team winning the Grand Slam, the winning score - and Wales' final effort dropping short in the last minute - adding to the atmosphere, as did Katie Taylor's war with Caroline Barry and then Andy Lee outpointing and dropping Alex Sipos.

That 11th round. Holy shit. Three knockdowns and Cordoba on the floor. He wasn't getting up and around ringside there was this confused feeling of elation and nausea. Even Dunne was more concerned with his fallen rival. I was there to cover the fight for the Irish Sun. There was no press conference afterwards, but we were instructed to head backstage to talk with Dunne's promoter/manager Brian Peters. As I made my way up alone, somewhere in the back of the venue, a lift door opened. Sitting there in the lift, head in hands was Dunne. I just froze, nodded. I shoulda got in that lift! What a night.
ah,sure is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah,sure View Post
Unbelievable, unforgettable. The main event had everything and I don't think it'll ever be surpassed in Irish boxing.

From Dunne's 3rd round KD it looked like he might win it early on, but by the fifth round he was out on his feet, down twice, and he barely made it to the bell. I'll never forget him punching in the desperate hope of making it to his stool - one of his lunges connected with the ref. He was five seconds away from being stopped, also cut.

Somehow he summoned the energy to fight on and even more incredibly, he began to find his rhythm. It seemed he was winning a couple more rounds than he did but perhaps that was down to the fact that the place was going bananas.

The arena had been whipped into a frenzy after they showed the Ireland rugby team winning the Grand Slam, the winning score - and Wales' final effort dropping short in the last minute - adding to the atmosphere, as did Katie Taylor's war with Caroline Barry and then Andy Lee outpointing and dropping Alex Sipos.

That 11th round. Holy shit. Three knockdowns and Cordoba on the floor. He wasn't getting up and around ringside there was this confused feeling of elation and nausea. Even Dunne was more concerned with his fallen rival. I was there to cover the fight for the Irish Sun. There was no press conference afterwards, but we were instructed to head backstage to talk with Dunne's promoter/manager Brian Peters. As I made my way up alone, somewhere in the back of the venue, a lift door opened. Sitting there in the lift, head in hands was Dunne. I just froze, nodded. I shoulda got in that lift! What a night.

Great stuff.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Great night, great fight. One of the best boxing matches ive ever seen involving an Irish fighter, and even wasn't lucky enough to be there in person, you could sense the atmosphere through the tv I think the general consensus was that Dunne was going to lose, and some didn't think he had much of a chance at all. I was one of those, given how his previous loss to Kiko showed up his flaws. Still he fought like a man possessed on the night and showed more heart than I ever gave him credit for. The hook that sent Cordoba sprawled across the ring in the 3rd came from no where, and its when I every started to think that Dunne had a real chance to win the fight. Then the 5th round came and Dunne was put on the floor twice, i think everyone in Ireland was just willing him to make it to the bell

The 11th was an insane finish, Cordoba's gas tank just emptied and he couldn't handle the pace of the fight anymore and he gets dropped three times. It didn't looked too good at first, with him being stretchered out, but thankfully it wasn't anything serious. The scene's after the fight were class, the celebrations, the post fight interview, everything added to make it a great night for Irish boxing.

Heard in an article a few days later that Dunne also went to see Cordoba in the hospital that night to see if he was ok, which i thought was a nice gesture from him. Big props to the Panamanian for the heart he showed to, made me a fan of him that night.
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
McGuinty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I was actually playin a game of poker at the time while watching the fight. I folded every hand I got, I just couldn't take an eye off the telly.
McGuinty is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum