Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #2806
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDredd View Post
Lennox Lewis v Ray Mercer

Not a Lewis fan but he showed balls in this fight. He seemed suprised & relieved to get the decision, was a close one but I gave it to him by a round.
had the same score but for mercer. either way, close close fight
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #2807
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
had the same score but for mercer. either way, close close fight
Yeah can't argue with that.
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #2808
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Yeah, best performance for sure. Palomino maybe had one eye on other things at that point but I cannot stress enough he was a really good fighter.
I probably rate the Duran performance slightly higher, Flea. Was Duran in good shape for Benitez? The pictures certainly show him to be, and his camp have always maintained that he trained like a demon for that fight. Was there proper incentive for Duran? Was he motivated? He never liked Benitez, and the winner was in line for another fight with Leonard. Absolutely no reason why Duran wouldn't have wanted to win that fight, he was just bettered by an exceptional Light Middleweight in Wilfred Benitez.

I've watched a lot of Benitez recently. I've watched his fights against Duran, Palomino, Leonard, Chiaverini, and Hope. I have his title winning effort against Cervantes still to watch. It really is incredible that any fighter could fight at such a high level at such a young age. I doubt we'll ever see a legitimate world champion at the age of 17 again.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #2809
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Yeah but Palomino was the welterweight champion on a good streak. That win means more IMO, even though Duran was clearly the far superior fighter (also had a breathtaking showing against Palomino later on of course)
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #2810
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah but Palomino was the welterweight champion on a good streak. That win means more IMO, even though Duran was clearly the far superior fighter (also had a breathtaking showing against Palomino later on of course)
someone on here said it was a masterclass of feinting. it was one of the first fights i watched when i got duran's career set
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #2811
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Fair enough. The win might have meant more, but I hold Benitez's performance against Duran at 154lbs in higher regard. In my mind, that's the best Benitez I've seen on film.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #2812
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Fair enough also.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #2813
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I actually thought the Benitez-Palomino fight was quite close in a Mayweather-Cotto sense. Mayweather/Benitez were always going to have their nose ahead by dint of being a class above, but Cotto/Palomino made them earn it and with a somewhat generous take on their body work you could have them taking quite a few rounds.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #2814
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
I actually thought the Benitez-Palomino fight was quite close in a Mayweather-Cotto sense. Mayweather/Benitez were always going to have their nose ahead by dint of being a class above, but Cotto/Palomino made them earn it and with a somewhat generous take on their body work you could have them taking quite a few rounds.
Maybe it's just me then. Just as I didn't think Benitez-Leonard was remotely close, I didn't think this fight was either.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #2815
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Maybe it's just me then. Just as I didn't think Benitez-Leonard was remotely close, I didn't think this fight was either.

As far as people offering opinions on Benitez-Palomino around here, I've found most tend to agree with you that it was wide and fairly comfy for Wilfred.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #2816
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I thought it was definitive for Benitez for sure, but I gave Palomino a decent amount of rounds. Of all three title-winning performances for him, I rank this one last, personally. I don't think he dominated it quite the way he did the other two.

As to Duran being in shape for Benitez, it reminded me of what I read in "Hands of Stone." The author told the story of Duran being sent to a penal colony island, and made to live in a compound with deranged murderers and all that, far away from any possible distraction (and there were many by then). Needless to say, he hated it, and used that as an excuse as to why he lost. You can always count on Duran for an excuse after all, but it does mark perhaps the one time in that career stage where he didn't struggle to make weight. That suggests he was in very good shape for Benitez.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #2817
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
I thought it was definitive for Benitez for sure, but I gave Palomino a decent amount of rounds. Of all three title-winning performances for him, I rank this one last, personally. I don't think he dominated it quite the way he did the other two.

As to Duran being in shape for Benitez, it reminded me of what I read in "Hands of Stone." The author told the story of Duran being sent to a penal colony island, and made to live in a compound with deranged murderers and all that, far away from any possible distraction (and there were many by then). Needless to say, he hated it, and used that as an excuse as to why he lost. You can always count on Duran for an excuse after all, but it does mark perhaps the one time in that career stage where he didn't struggle to make weight. That suggests he was in very good shape for Benitez.
Well you can count on just about any decent boxer to have an excuse. Its the nature of the game.

Anyway I think that this is the one match, more than New orleans even, that Duran would want back. He was in shape and he hated Benitez passionately.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #2818
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Well you can count on just about any decent boxer to have an excuse. Its the nature of the game.

Anyway I think that this is the one match, more than New orleans even, that Duran would want back. He was in shape and he hated Benitez passionately.
True, true.....
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #2819
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Indeed. I can't give Duran a hard time for excuses. MAB had one for every loss. People made threats to kidnap his neice ahead of Jones I, he was robbed in the rematch, he was robbed against Morales, and a forest fire caused him to get obliterated by Manny Pacquiao in 2003.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #2820
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Duran just wasn't as good a 154 fighter as Benitez was.Not at that stage of their career's.

Maybe he'd have done better if he'd thumbed Wilfred's eye shut early.
lora is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum