Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #46
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: GSP: Is he the second greatest MMA fight ever?

Fedor is the greatest, no doubt.

2nd is debatable, I think Anderson Silva should rank higher than GSP though, he`s higher right now (despite being older) & has been on a longer unbeaten streak & is at least as dominant when at their best.

Sakuraba, Big Nog, Hendo, Wanderlei, BJ Penn are all top 10 & have a good claim for a top 3 spot IMO.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #47
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziebattler View Post
When all 3 of those mentioned fighters careers are done lets seriously discuss this .

I personally think either Gsp or silva will leapfrog fedor as the greatest.

Though most on here will shoot me down but fedors last 2years of career really has put a few dings in what seemed like iron clad legacy
Really ?

He`s only human, it happens to EVERY fighter if they hang around too long, there are a select few that get out while they are at their best but most fighters have it in their blood & keep going until they start losing to guys they never would have at their best... does losing to Berbick suddenly mean Muhammad Ali isn`t the greatest HW ?... if Anderson loses by KO in his next title defence, does that mean he automatically stops being the best MW in UFC history ?

NO is the answer to these questions because you cannot erase the greatness that has already been achieved & the brilliance at their best that has been shown & is on video for all to see.

Fedor had already shown a clear gap between he & the rest of MMA well, well before the Werdum fight, his losses only proved he actually is human, it doesn`t disprove how special & dominant he was in his career.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #48
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
I rate Anderson Silva over Fedor because of longevity

Anderson still has a bit to go to beat Fedor on longevity, Fedor is the most dominant fighter in MMA history.

Fedor was handing absolute legends like Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera their first ever defeats around the same time Anderson was being submitted via triangle choke & flying heelhooks by B level Japanese fighters, memories can be short at times, not mine though.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #49
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Randy Couture, Frank Mir, Brock Lesnar, JDS, Cain Velasquez, and Shane Carwin were all the Best HWs in the World (most still are). Fedor did not fight a single one
This paragraph alone tells me that you don`t have a clue what`s going on.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #50
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Missed that one...Mir, Carwin and Lesnar were never the best HW in the world. Even Couture wasn't that good at HW.

Boddi you seems to forget how weak the UFC HW used to be... !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #51
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

I think at this point Silva has surpassed Fedor. I have the rankings at:

1. A. Silva
2. Fedor
3. GSP

Then it gets real tricky and confusing to rank the rest of the top 10. But I think those 3 are currently clear above the rest.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #52
Muchmoore

vCash:

Silva doesn't have those defining wins to rank above fedor. Hendo was a corpse at the weight.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #53
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore View Post
Silva doesn't have those defining wins to rank above fedor. He do was a corpse at the weight.
Silva's reign of dominance has exceeded Fedors. Strictly because it was done in the UFC (current UFC) against the Best in the world. Fedor beat alot of great fighters, his wins over Big Nog were great, but the run Silva has gone on has been phenomenal, especially the manner in which he has dispatched everyone.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #54
benebox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
Silva's reign of dominance has exceeded Fedors. Strictly because it was done in the UFC (current UFC) against the Best in the world. Fedor beat alot of great fighters, his wins over Big Nog were great, but the run Silva has gone on has been phenomenal, especially the manner in which he has dispatched everyone.
So dominating a weak division in the UFC is more impressive than dominating a sacked division not in the UFC?
benebox is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #55
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
How come Arlovski stopped being an elite fighter once he left the UFC? You do understand that Arlovski left the UFC on a three fight winning streak, right?

How come Sylvia stopped being elite once he left the UFC? You do understand that he left the UFC following a loss to Nog...the guy that Fedor beat twice in dominant fashion.
Because Arlovski doesn't have it anymore Rob, and neither does Sylvia. They are relics, #ing dinosaurs mi compadre. Former Title Holders and future HOFers, but they did not stand the test of time. Fedor did, but he did it his way and even still the next generation caught up to him. The Game Don't Wait Rob, The Game Don't Wait. We knew that he was on the slide, and the three losses should account for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
You do understand that not all primes play out equally, right? That Fedor's reign started earlier than Anderson's, therefore it only makes sense that it ended earlier?

I like you, but you are way off base when it comes to Fedor.
That is something to think about, and I will as I type. Maybe I don't understand right now, the only way that I may understand is if GSP begins to fall apart at the seams by 33 years old. But, the more that sinks in as I type I'm going to disagree this very moment. -------->

Reign? No my friend, that's not why it all ended for Fedor. It's because the man had an ass load of fights within a short time frame and it all caught up to him. Fighting is fighting, whether it's at the top level or not it takes it's toll. That reign accounts for something, but it's by no means an excuse for the way his career played out.

I like you too, and I may be off base to some. But, I don't think I am. It's because emotions run high Rob, they run high when it comes to this p4p debate. I like stoo too (more like love because I like everything about him from Color Me Badd videos to his messages seemingly to appear at random times), but for him to say that Anderson Silva is the most talented Mixed Martial Artist only in the same breathe to place GSP above him took the wind outta me. A #ing gut punch. I know that deep down he truly believes Silva is the Greatest (or at least greater than GSP, ffs), but he's giving Fedor the "Iron Mike Treatment".

Fedor get's the Iron Mike Treatment because those who place him atop the p4p list want to ignore the big picture. If a fighter losses 3 times in a row inside the distance than that is on them bro, if you want to know how I really feel. I'm not gonna even mention glossing that over with 3 Ws over cans, but I had too (Oops! Can't help it to be honest).

I haven't opened up that 4th page, and in the minutes before further replies I want stoo to know that these debates are heated, and I'm always this crazy.

PS- Rob, I don't love stoo anymore than I love you, and the rest of the members that make this Section go round'.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #56
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Boddi, this isn't a p4p discusion, it's an ATG discussion...

AS maybe the most talent MMA fighter but his division is kinda weak compared to WW.

That's why Stoo is putting GSP ahead of him, because of the competition he fought.
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #57
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Iron Mike treatment
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #58
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
Yeah getting rag dolled by the great chael for 6 out of 7 rounds was really befitting of the goat

All the best heavies in fedors era were in pride not ufc

Fedor has wins over nog twice, Coleman twice, Mirko cro cop, mark hunt, Ricardo arona, Kevin randleman, Andre arlovski, Tim Sylvia, Bret Rogers who was 12-0 with 12 knockouts, Heath herring, semmy schilt, Gary goodridge. That's quite a list of names and were all in or around the top ten when fedor beat them

Silva needs to nut up and fight jones if he wants to be goat IMO. Wanderlei silva fought Mirko ****ing cro cop under pride rules
Old 01-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #59
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Randy Couture, Frank Mir, Brock Lesnar, JDS, Cain Velasquez, and Shane Carwin were all the Best HWs in the World (most still are). Fedor did not fight a single one..... AA, Sylvia, and Brett Rogers are clearly not on the same level or else they would have fought their way in (or back into) the premiere organization in the World.
If we go back to 2009 when Fedor won over Arlovski and Rogers
Cain was getting dropped by Kongo
JDS was still a prospect going 3 rounds with Crocop and having some trouble with the straight punches of CC
Mir got stopped by Brock Lesnar
Brock Lesnar got Cancer after his win over Mir and lets face it Lesnar wasnt all that.

And if you didnt know Couture and Fedor was gonna fight if not DW went and ****blocked them
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #60
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post

Anderson still has a bit to go to beat Fedor on longevity, Fedor is the most dominant fighter in MMA history.

Fedor was handing absolute legends like Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera their first ever defeats around the same time Anderson was being submitted via triangle choke & flying heelhooks by B level Japanese fighters, memories can be short at times, not mine though.
Like I said before bed, longevity is spanning over time. From generation to generation. Anderson Silva may have not had the undefeated streak that Fedor did, but he has been fighting the Best Mixed Martial Artist in the World this whole time and was a Champion in two different eras.

And I'm glad the lot of you throw that "Fedor was kicking arse while Silva was tapping" because I will always respond with a "Anderson Silva was fighting the Best in the World while Fedor was tapping, getting brutalized, and being punched out; glossing that record over with 3 cans and calling it a day. , I truly am laughing as we continue to ignore the big picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
This paragraph alone tells me that you don`t have a clue what`s going on.
It's true, they were the Best HWs in the World and Fedor sat out. He rode that Pride streak for as long as it carried him, but his fans are still on that wave to nowhere. It will come crashing down as Anderson Silva finishes out his career, I am a really good feeling about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
Missed that one...Mir, Carwin and Lesnar were never the best HW in the world. Even Couture wasn't that good at HW.

Boddi you seems to forget how weak the UFC HW used to be... !
Yes they were, and the best Fighters in the World could all be found in The UFC after Pride died. CC migrated, Rampage, The Axe Murderer, Big Nog and many others. But, Fedor wanted no part of it of that UFC roster, and did things his way.

Mir, Carwin, and pre-diverticulitis Lesnar were all much better than competition than Arlovski, Tim Sylvia, and Brett Rogers. After Fedor beat Tim Sylvia, the man was beaten by a 40yo Boxer in 10 seconds.... If that's not enough for you, know that both him and Arlovski haven't fought their way back to the top since. I'm telling you Ne5, he wanted no part of that UFC roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore View Post
Silva doesn't have those defining wins to rank above fedor. Hendo was a corpse at the weight.
That same corpse made weight for the next year, and won both of those fights. Just another poor excuse. If we are gonna live by the record books, remember how Fedor's career ended, and who he fought. Remember that Anderson Silva tapped out a man that punched out Fedor.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum