Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #2821
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Duran just wasn't as good a 154 fighter as Benitez was.Not at that stage of their career's.

Maybe he'd have done better if he'd thumbed Wilfred's eye shut early.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #2822
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

rewatched broner-demarco. i see a LOT of potential in this kid. total domination of the likely top rated lightweight in the world. rendered it about as non-competitive as possible.
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #2823
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Shocking time for the division though, for Demarco to be no.1 based on....nothing.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #2824
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Demarco stinks though.Top rated or not.

Not that i'm saying Broner has no potential mind, but he's still fought nary a good fighter.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #2825
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Shocking time for the division though, for Demarco to be no.1 based on....nothing.

beat me to it
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #2826
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Demarco stinks though.Top rated or not.

Not that i'm saying Broner has no potential mind, but he's still fought nary a good fighter.
you and flea are right...he is certainly one of the worst #1 lightweights in recent memory. demarco only beat a junior lightweight, former prodigy in linares. his resume otherwise is thin with a beatdown from valero rounding it out.

HOWEVER, the fact is he was the best opponent broner could have faced and he destroyed him. i see no reason broner doesn't dominate 135 for a few years, becoming unified undisputed before making a stop at 140 and accomplishing the same feat at 147
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #2827
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I spotted Linares a mile off, even at 126. He was an easy fighter to get excited about if you were really gullible. Not directing that at you Crawler, only that a mass outbreak of positivity on Linares meant that even after he was starched inside a round by a relative unknown at the time, even now, he wad still highly regarded enough to be seen as a career-affirming scalp for DeMarco. And then drubbed Molina (who?) inside a round.

Did look pretty durable though. Good win for Broner but if he ain't fighting Burns or Vasquez get him up at 140 fighting Matthysse, Garcia, Rios, Bradley even. He has the size to compete there.

Not sold on him. Quintero and Ponce still niggle me at the back of my head.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #2828
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
beat me to it
First time for everything.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #2829
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I spotted Linares a mile off, even at 126. He was an easy fighter to get excited about if you were really gullible. Not directing that at you Crawler, only that a mass outbreak of positivity on Linares meant that even after he was starched inside a round by a relative unknown at the time, even now, he wad still highly regarded enough to be seen as a career-affirming scalp for DeMarco. And then drubbed Molina (who?) inside a round.

Did look pretty durable though. Good win for Broner but if he ain't fighting Burns or Vasquez get him up at 140 fighting Matthysse, Garcia, Rios, Bradley even. He has the size to compete there.

Not sold on him. Quintero and Ponce still niggle me at the back of my head.
no worries...i was that gullible i was riding the linares train loudly and proudly before, and after, santiago drilled him. i still think he's got a world of talent but i also say the same about judah so take it with a grain of salt

broner against burns may be my pick if i had to choose what fight gets made in 2013. say he takes out rees, burns then vasquez in 12 months. fighter of the year possibly with a move to 140 where i'd favour him against rios but not matthysse. not yet anyway...
Old 01-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #2830
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

What about Garcia?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #2831
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

I just watched Sanchez-Perez. Like Zarate, I failed to be impressed. Extremely hittable.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #2832
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Masao Ohba W15 Betulio Gonzalez - Bumped this to the top of my watch list after a thread about it turned up. This is the best and most entertaining version of Gonzalez I've seen. But I had it 8-7 for Ohba. Ultimately, I didn't think GOnzalez landed enough in most of the rounds he lost to offset Ohba's jab and aggression.

Azumah Nelson W12 Marcos Villasana I Loved this fight. A lot of ebb and flow. Nelson started out like he always does with that withering but intelligent pressure. I liked how Villasana kept him at bay at times with jabs to the body. After Villasana held the fort for a few rounds, Nelson decided to box and very effectively. He gave a pressing Villasana a pretty good paint job in a round and made him miss alot. Villasana adjusted next round and went to a heavy body attack. Nelson then began walking him down again and these tactics shifted more frequently later in the fight. Loved this fight. My opinion of both fighters increased. Villasana showed a little more smarts and ring generalship than I remembered. Nelson showed a lot of versatility in this fight. Still one of the strongest fighters P4P I've seen and the intelligent pressure is his best play, but only guys like Whitaker and Sanchez were going to outbox him. I look forward to watching the rematch soon and revisiting Fenech - Villasana.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #2833
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What about Garcia?
yeah i avoided mentioning garcia...i'm on the fence. if he moved up today, i see garcia shading him. i'm worried broner would come across more style than substance. garcia is bigger, technically very sound with a good punch. i'm worried broner would shell up and let garcia outwork him. today

in 2 years, once he fills out, gets used to the weight and fights a few more diverse styles...i say he outpoints garcia comfortably and embarasses him at times
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #2834
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

How much does Garcia weigh on fight night? Broner must be 147-150-odd.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #2835
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just watched Cotto-Mayweather for the first time...

116-112 Mayweather

Mayweather: 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12
Cotto: 2, 3, 6, 8

Great, great fight. Mayweather won the first with his jab but I felt Cotto took rounds 2 and 3 with his own jab and the fact that he was blocking and parrying many of Floyd's punches. The next two rounds Floyd took with that looping right hand but Cotto was still applying intelligent pressure and his left hook was landing. Cotto took the 6th with a brilliant and consistent jab but wasted a ton of movement for no reason. Floyd nailed the 7th by planting his feet and comitting to his punches. The 8th was a big round for Cotto; he had very good work inside, occasionally tagging Floyd's chin, and improvising his left hook when needed. He drilled the body and landed some great punchers. Floyd swept the last four though with his usual adjustments. Cotto was pumping the jab in the 9th but Floyd took it by starting that left uppercut from the inside and outside; he was awesome at tying up cotto but throwing short punches inside (only ward does this better). The 10th and 11th were quiet but Floyd won simply by landing the cleaner, more accurate punches. Cotto still made him work but he was clearly losing rounds now. The 12th was a big, big Floyd round. Cotto trying to bully until Floyd landed combo, after combo and of course, that big left uppercut.

Overall, a clear Floyd win but his hardest fight in years and possibly Cotto's best fight in years considering the opponent.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum