Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Do you agree with the saying that you're not truly the champion until you defend?

A fight is just a fight. Weird things can happen, unusual outcomes can occur.

For this reason, some take the attitude that a title is only really solidified in a man's hands when he has successfully defended it. Because until then, he just won a fight.

Someone like Matt Serra, for example, who finds himself in the right place at the right time, sprung an upset and became champion, decisively lost the rematch and then never got another chance at the gold?

Or Benson, who took the title in a close, disputed decision?

Or is this depending on the case? For example, someone who cleans out the division before he gets his shot at the title? Or someone like Jones, who just completely destroyed all of his competition up to and including a massacre of the title-holder?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
benebox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Do you agree with the saying that you're not truly the champion until you defend?

If you beat the champion you are the champion. What happens if a guy won the belt 3 times but never succesfully defended it
benebox is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553
Default Re: Do you agree with the saying that you're not truly the champion until you defend?

Haggis, I agree.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
caleb_forrest_g
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

ive never like the whole defended the belt talk. My buddy is a huge Rampage fan, and im a Forrest fan and every time we staring talking about Forrest beating rampage and taking his belt, all he has in he didnt defend it, or at least rampage defended it. I say if you beat the champion, i dont care if u defend it or not, aat that time you beat the best fighter in the world.

So thats what i think : )
caleb_forrest_g is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

If u beat the champ you are a true champion yourself .

But ofcourse a few title defences goes a huge way on ones title reigns legacy .
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

My thinking is that if you win a Title then of course your the Champ, but only a Title holder until you actually defend the belt. No other way to explain myself other than my name is BobDigi, my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

no you beat the champ you are the champ end of story
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

I think it's more of a pride thing.

Agree with everyone here, you have the belt, you are the champ.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

I take it case-by-case.

For example, when Bendo beat Edgar I had him winning the fight, but it was close enough that I didn't really view him as THE man yet. I have the mentality that a challenger has to take the belt from the champion, and Bendo didn't really do that.

Rematch comes around and I had Bendo winning another close fight. But I wanted to see him against a top contender, because he hadn't really stamped his authority on either title fight. After he dominated Nate, now I'm happy that Bendo is clearly and decisively the champ.

Jon Jones, on the other hand? As soon as he murdered Shogun, that was a strong enough statement that he was CLEARLY The Man in the division.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarShane_24 View Post
I think it's more of a pride thing.

Agree with everyone here, you have the belt, you are the champ.
Oh yeah, you win the belt and you're the champ of course, nobody can take that away from you. But you generally have to defend in order to solidify your claim. I mean, all kinds of people get title shots, and sometimes fights are won more or less by fluke.

Take Serra, for example. He'll always be able to call himself a former UFC champion, and fair play to him. But did anyone really believe that he was the alpha welterweight while he was wearing that belt? He needed to defend to show that his title reign was more than the result of a lucky punch.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #11
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I dont know, Serra had to rematch because everyone called the upset. He was champ because he got the lineage. But you're not a real champ unless its undisputed. Or you won the support of the people atleast
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

did anyone really think of Rahman as The Champ? Or Buster Douglas? Or McCall? I know different sport, but same idea.
macp1 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #13
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

These last two posts, exactly. Especially the part about being recognized by the people (I would quote if I could).

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum