Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Quade Cooper V Barry Dunett

Is Kohder giving oz boxing another black eye?
Crusher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Quade Cooper V Barry Dunett

i think he is doing boxing a service by creating pathways for elite, high profile athletes to cross over into boxing.

he is bringing high profile athletes and getting the public interested in boxing again.

fair enough, they arent boxing purists, but oz boxing needs all the interest it can get.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
AdamH
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
i think he is doing boxing a service by creating pathways for elite, high profile athletes to cross over into boxing.

he is bringing high profile athletes and getting the public interested in boxing again.

fair enough, they arent boxing purists, but oz boxing needs all the interest it can get.
i agree with this
AdamH is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
LeBeave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Anyone who thinks Khoder Nasser has boxings interests at heart is delusional..... The back pocket is where his priorities lie... that's not a bad thing for his clients btw
LeBeave is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
fighta29
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeave View Post
Anyone who thinks Khoder Nasser has boxings interests at heart is delusional..... The back pocket is where his priorities lie... that's not a bad thing for his clients btw
True statement about Khoder. But, besides the big fights (Geale, Dib, Green, Kats, Mundine etc), there is a whole domestic scene that needs help. There are a few promoters pushing the same fighters, and correct me if Im wrong, but there are only a couple of hundred active pros at any given time in Aus? So getting high profile names involved can only help inject some much needed $$$ and new blood into boxing.

I dont mind watching a few different heads mix it up avery now and then.
Khoder is a shark, like most other promoters, but he is simply filling a niche or gap in the market.
fighta29 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
aussie opinion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 925

if cooper cant ko dunnett in 1 there is sumtin wrong ... he obviously cant take a hit, and his 1 kickboxing fight on youtube he was stopped in 1 ...khoder lined up the perfect oppenent
aussie opinion is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
bruiserh

vCash:

I hope, by the end of this fight the news reel reads "Barry Dunnett! Cooper KO'd"
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
bruiserh

vCash:

Looks like its catching too. This from the Sydney morning Herald.....Go Raiders!

"Promoters have a ready-made second bout for Queensland Reds playmaker Quade Cooper - Canberra Raiders flyer Sandor Earl.

A Twitter war erupted between the pair after Earl heard about Cooper's bout with Barry Dunnett in Brisbane on February 8.

Playing lawn bowls with his Raiders teammates on Saturday, Earl couldn't resist having some fun.

''Putting it out there if Quade Cooper wins I will throw my hand up to fight him in his next fight!! #watageeup #doitforfree,'' he tweeted.

Advertisement It would set up a tantalising bout between the two rugby codes with bragging rights up for grabs.

Cooper took the bait on Monday and a war of tweets ensued with the Reds No.10 finishing with: ''Thats ok, I wish you all the best #fringeplayer''.

Earl, who's also made a name for himself as an underwear model, was standing by his tweet when contacted by Fairfax Media on Monday.

The 23-year-old said it started out as a tongue-in-cheek comment but he'd follow through if Cooper was game. ''It was a bit of a fun comment, but if the offer was there [to fight Cooper] I'd definitely take it,'' he said.

Earl is no stranger to the boxing ring. While most of his Raiders teammates were on their Christmas break, he went to Thailand with Parramatta duo Reni Maitua and Willie Tonga for a Muay Thai kick boxing camp.

''I did do some [mixed martial arts] training and some wrestling training, which I thought would be good practically for football,'' he said.

''I went over there and did some training in the break, I thought if I'm training while others are perhaps resting during the break it's always good to have the advantage. It was a good experience.''

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

No doubt this Barry Dunett is an absolutely useless bum who even Dales Berry would school in a boxing ring. These league/union players are just taking the **** out of the sport while lining their pockets. It's a big farce.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
aussie opinion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
No doubt this Barry Dunett is an absolutely useless bum who even Dales Berry would school in a boxing ring. These league/union players are just taking the **** out of the sport while lining their pockets. It's a big farce.

agree, his kickboxing state "title" fight was a sham ... lasted less than a minute and was dropped twice... cooper by KO rd 1
aussie opinion is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
These league/union players are just taking the **** out of the sport while lining their pockets. It's a big farce.
I can't disagree with this. Some people might say I'm jealous. I can assure you I'm not. The problem I have is this.
They use the sport to line there pockets with out putting anything back. Atleast put a few prospects on the under card in 50/50 match ups and give boxing some good exposure.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

so who do you believe of these two..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie opinion View Post
if cooper cant ko dunnett in 1 there is sumtin wrong ... he obviously cant take a hit, and his 1 kickboxing fight on youtube he was stopped in 1 ...khoder lined up the perfect oppenent
Quote:

"Everyone in the boxing community is behind me. They want to put end to the footballer turned fighter."He might be a great athlete and footy player but that won't help him in the boxing ring.

"He will find himself doubting himself and struggling around the ring."

Dunnett has been training for ten years and has 15 professional Muay Thai fights and two pro boxing bouts.
He fought for a Queensland light heavyweight kickboxing title last year.

Cooper only discovered Dunnett's lengthy experience in the ring through reading articles about his opponent in the past two days.

"This is the first time I have heard of him," Cooper said.

"It is quite confronting. I'm very excited.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 04:00 AM   #13
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post

..sorry Crusher but this is the way I see it too..win or lose..Quade Cooper will walk away from this with massive respect for boxing..
..to me it's a great advertisment for the sport..gets it on the back page too..
..and that only enhances what the real fighters like yourself have had to deal with..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 AM   #14
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I understand what Crusher is saying and I agree with him on that point that Cooper and the other footballers who cross over will not directly put anything back into boxing, however they do bring media attention to the sport and according to the Bureau of Statistics, boxing is the fastest growing sport in the country.

Participation is up 131% since 2005 and I wonder if the attention that they bring is responsible for some of these kids crossing over as well and boxing.

I've been to many amateur tournaments over the last few years and I honestly can say it's the healthiest I've seen in a long time. The Golden Gloves in Brisbane this year had over 400 boxers and 300 bouts in 3 days.

So while I personally couldn't give a **** about Quade Cooper and his circus, if the attention he generates gets kids boxing then it's good for the sport.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #15
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwgcolman View Post
I understand what Crusher is saying and I agree with him on that point that Cooper and the other footballers who cross over will not directly put anything back into boxing, however they do bring media attention to the sport and according to the Bureau of Statistics, boxing is the fastest growing sport in the country.

Participation is up 131% since 2005 and I wonder if the attention that they bring is responsible for some of these kids crossing over as well and boxing.

I've been to many amateur tournaments over the last few years and I honestly can say it's the healthiest I've seen in a long time. The Golden Gloves in Brisbane this year had over 400 boxers and 300 bouts in 3 days.

So while I personally couldn't give a **** about Quade Cooper and his circus, if the attention he generates gets kids boxing then it's good for the sport.

that's interesting and surprising in a good way
kel is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum