Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #76
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Vitali Klitschko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
This clearly say prime vs prime and clearly Bowe wasn't ''prime'' in the Golota fights i thought that was well known...
Still don't see what you're basing Bowe's jab superiority vs skilled big men on. He ate jabs like candy and had a very poor command of distance even in his "prime".
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #77
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Well how do you see Klitschko winning this... He dosent have enough power to knock him out... and i dont see him doing very well boxing cause i see Bowe doing good work on the inside as well
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #78
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well how do you see Klitschko winning this... He dosent have enough power to knock him out... and i dont see him doing very well boxing cause i see Bowe doing good work on the inside as well
I see him winning a decision by keeping Bowe at bay with the jab, forcing him to come forward, catching him on the counter, tying him up on the inside, and grinding him down over the course of the twelve. Similar to the Arreola and Sanders fights but fought at a higher level. Bowe will have his chances of course, mostly from brawling on the inside, but he'll be taking horrendous punishment throughout, not enough to KO him maybe, but enough to badly stun or even drop him.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #79
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

I just cant see that happening, i think Bowe could knock Vitali out, maybe just me, i would think hed win a decision though
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #80
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
I just cant see that happening, i think Bowe could knock Vitali out, maybe just me, i would think hed win a decision though
Well Bowe couldn't KO Holyfield who was in his grill all night long so I'm not sure how he does in a much larger opponent in Vitali who knows how to keep on the outside and has very good punch avoidance reactions. Bowe's dangershots mostly came as uppercuts on the inside, shots which he'll have a difficult time landing on a much taller opponent. In order to land his overhands he'll have to be much sharper than he normally is, and fight with the sort of discipline that just didn't really come naturally to him. If he just tries to wade in and hope Vitali engaged in a close quarters brawl with him he's going to be slowly taken apart in a similar way to the first Golota fight.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #81
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

I agree with Theron. Bowes defense was pretty poor, but Vitali isnt the hard puncher that hes made out to be IMO. Bowe outworks Vitali.

Actually Bowe pushes Vitalis shit back in.
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #82
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Vitali stopped numerous contenders with his well-timed clean arm punches. He is a big man, and if you're coming in, you're hurting yourself.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #83
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I am really having trouble of thinking of a 90's heavyweight that I could say, with little doubt, would be a safe pick to defeat Vitali Klitschko head to head.
Other than Lewis, and Riddick Bowe, that is.

Holyfield did not look good as an aggressor. Though Vitali is larger, I still think he would make Holyfield come to him.

Vitali would be a TALL order for Mike Tyson, and I think a fight featuring the two would go the distance. I can't see a 90's Tyson getting the decision.

I think Andrew Golota would stand a real chance stylistically. I think Golota had the better jab, but he is too much of a head case to pick over a top notch opponent. I thought people were crazy to pick Michael Grant to beat Golota, and look what happened.

Riddick Bowe had trouble against opponents that could out jab him. Riddick Bowe only has one official loss, but he looked like the losing fighter on three occasions. On those occasions, he was in the ring with fighters that were capable of out jabbing him at times. Bowe was out of shape when he first faced Golota, but I don't think he was shot in the rematch. I believe Golota made him look so bad because he could out jab Bowe. Golota's jab was straighter and snappier, and that wasn't just because Bowe was all of 29 years old.

Vitali's jab looks to be more pesky than great to me, and I think Bowe may be able to win in this department. Bowe was a couple inches shorter than Vitali, but he has an inch in reach. Bowe also had a high punch output for a big man, and he throws far fewer arm punches than Vitali.

I think this could be a great fight. What do you think?
I think tyson and bowe would both do a number on vitali.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #84
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
I agree with Theron. Bowes defense was pretty poor, but Vitali isnt the hard puncher that hes made out to be IMO. Bowe outworks Vitali.

Actually Bowe pushes Vitalis shit back in.
He doesn't need to KO him to win. Prime Vit punches with enough consistency and heavy handedness to control matters on the outside and get Bowe fighting his fight. Bowe was tough and had the right sort of mentality to get to Vitali on the inside, but he's going to be soaking up ridiculous punishment to do so, and sooner or later the cumulative effect of that is going to catch up to him. Whether he'll have done enough damage himself at that point to "push Vitali's shit in" or take him on the cards I don't know, though I'm doubtful. Bowe's not been overly impressive in the past against skilled big men who can box.

Course, Bowe could end things early. But that's being pretty unrealistic I think.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #85
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

I recently rewatched Lewis-Vitali & I hadnt previously noticed just how often Lewis was able to land his jab & Bowe's jab was just as good as Lewis'. Vitali's lean-back defence just isnt that effective against guys of similar size with a good wing span.

Lewis took Vitali into the trenches & dealt out a lot of punishment. Bowe was more aggressive, better on the inside & worked the body better than any other big heavyweight.

I cant see Vitali either stopping Bowe or being able to keep him at range long enough to outpoint him. I think Bowe would be able to jab his way in & then go to work on Vitali.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #86
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I am really having trouble of thinking of a 90's heavyweight that I could say, with little doubt, would be a safe pick to defeat Vitali Klitschko head to head.
Other than Lewis, and Riddick Bowe, that is.

Holyfield did not look good as an aggressor. Though Vitali is larger, I still think he would make Holyfield come to him.

Vitali would be a TALL order for Mike Tyson, and I think a fight featuring the two would go the distance. I can't see a 90's Tyson getting the decision.

I think Andrew Golota would stand a real chance stylistically. I think Golota had the better jab, but he is too much of a head case to pick over a top notch opponent. I thought people were crazy to pick Michael Grant to beat Golota, and look what happened.

Riddick Bowe had trouble against opponents that could out jab him. Riddick Bowe only has one official loss, but he looked like the losing fighter on three occasions. On those occasions, he was in the ring with fighters that were capable of out jabbing him at times. Bowe was out of shape when he first faced Golota, but I don't think he was shot in the rematch. I believe Golota made him look so bad because he could out jab Bowe. Golota's jab was straighter and snappier, and that wasn't just because Bowe was all of 29 years old.

Vitali's jab looks to be more pesky than great to me, and I think Bowe may be able to win in this department. Bowe was a couple inches shorter than Vitali, but he has an inch in reach. Bowe also had a high punch output for a big man, and he throws far fewer arm punches than Vitali.

I think this could be a great fight. What do you think?
Bowe of '92 Vegas that took the crown from Holy was a very great fighter-----For One Fight / Night.... That Bowe could've hung tuff with any other champion or ex-champ at heavyweight...

V.K. is an all-time great fighter who's been nearly unbeatable his entire career...

I cannot really say who'd win this dream fight, but I'd lean toward V.K. based on his heart, soul, dedication and integrity that he brought to the biz for the last 10 years.....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #87
lbarrow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bowe ws a better fighter in all aspects than vitali apart from toughness/chin. Which vitali has a big advantage on him. Its a pick em but if it was coming up a peak bowe vs a peak vitali id tentatively go for bowe on pts.
lbarrow is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #88
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
I recently rewatched Lewis-Vitali & I hadnt previously noticed just how often Lewis was able to land his jab & Bowe's jab was just as good as Lewis'. Vitali's lean-back defence just isnt that effective against guys of similar size with a good wing span.

Lewis took Vitali into the trenches & dealt out a lot of punishment. Bowe was more aggressive, better on the inside & worked the body better than any other big heavyweight.

I cant see Vitali either stopping Bowe or being able to keep him at range long enough to outpoint him. I think Bowe would be able to jab his way in & then go to work on Vitali.
Yes I agree. Vitali couldnt knockout a game Arreola. Yes Vitali did
"Tko" Arreola, but rewatch Bowe Golota 2, or maybe just take my word
for it very ugly fight. Bottom line Vitali isn't stopping Bowe. I believe
Bowe would outjab Vitali but if not Vitali is getting brutalized on the inside
with uppercuts and hooks. Looka at the monster body shots and uppercut
that Vitali ate against Lewis. Same thing happens against Bowe. You're
gonna need serious firepower to stop Bowe. Vitalis power is not on the
level of a Tyson, Foreman, Lewis etc even Wlad
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #89
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post

Lewis did not jab or engage his attack in the same way as Bowe. Bowe's jab was mainly a keep away tool when he was taking a breather/recoup. It was sharp and crisp but mainly thrown with the upper body. It did not control distance except over very limited stretches of the fight because Bowe wasn't interested in fighting at anything other than close range; nor was it really used to open up fighters to combination attacks. When Bowe wanted to infight he'd generally just stand his ground and let his opponents come to him.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Notice the way Bowe's leaning out as he jabs? Lewis did this as well, but he also had a much weightier full body jab which he'd step into when he wanted to close the distance/push opponents back/open them up to a right hand. It was this jab he was mainly using to beat up Vitali, together with a wide stance solid jab which he could pump out in multiples. I don't think he once used the type of snappy lean out jab that Bowe routinely used.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Even at his age and level of conditioning Lennox was a much smarter and more versatile fighter than Bowe, whose deficiencies in fighting these types of fights were more than shown up the first time he fought Golota. Bowe's flat-footed, plodding forward, wait till you come to me approach would not give him the same sort of chances as Lennox.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #90
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

You really need to watch more Bowe fights, I disagree with almost every point you've made there.
DrMo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum