Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Boom Boom Mancini vs Livingston Bramble

For the first time I watched these to fights back to back in their entirety, bloody hard fought wars. Great fights full of action and pressure and aggression any thoughts or interesting stories around these fights? how did you guys score the rematch? How about alexis arguello offering advice in his tuxedo in rays corner haha pretty great. Its fights like these its a shame that one guy has to loose...
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Boom Boom Mancini vs Livingston Bramble

what always surprised me about these fights is how good Bramble looked and then he stops Crawley and gets demolished by Rosario. I never thought he would be outclassed by Rosario after looking so good the previous 2 1/2 years. And he was in the top 5 p4p in the boxing magazines at the time.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
what always surprised me about these fights is how good Bramble looked and then he stops Crawley and gets demolished by Rosario. I never thought he would be outclassed by Rosario after looking so good the previous 2 1/2 years. And he was in the top 5 p4p in the boxing magazines at the time.
holy shit seriously?! i never thought he was regarded that highly...and i certainly never thought he was THAT good
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
holy shit seriously?! i never thought he was regarded that highly...and i certainly never thought he was THAT good
in 1986 after Crawley, he was up there with Hearns,Hagler and Nelson and whoever else was there. I remember him being about 4 in p4p.. So when he lost to Rosario it really was a shock to everyone. Although the morning of the fight, I read in the paper he was a 4-1 favorite to beat Rosario that night. I thought Rosario was going to win.. I just had a feeling Bramble cannot walk forward the way he did and pick off Rosario's punches.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

KO Magazine, or maybe World Boxing, routinely had Bramble ranked #3 pound-for-pound behind Hagler and Curry around late '85, early '86.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
the quiet man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

livingston bramble had a dog called snake, and a snake called dog.
great fact is that.
the quiet man is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

you always got your moneys worth with boom boom lol did anyone read his book that was out? I was at barnes and noble checking it out seems pretty good
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
you always got your moneys worth with boom boom lol did anyone read his book that was out? I was at barnes and noble checking it out seems pretty good

Seemed awfully expensive for how thick a book it was, so I told myself I'd hold off until it came out in paperback. I do look forward to reading it, though. Always thought highly of Mancini, even if the "experts" thought he was nothing but a glorified clubfighter.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
Seemed awfully expensive for how thick a book it was, so I told myself I'd hold off until it came out in paperback. I do look forward to reading it, though. Always thought highly of Mancini, even if the "experts" thought he was nothing but a glorified clubfighter.
Thats why I held off they wanted $27 for it lol yeah mancini is a warrior should get more credit
Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
KO Magazine, or maybe World Boxing, routinely had Bramble ranked #3 pound-for-pound behind Hagler and Curry around late '85, early '86.
it was surprising how high he was rated. In retrospect he was overrated. Can you imagine ranked above Spinks and Hearns in 1985.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Rex Tickard
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
how did you guys score the rematch?
I always felt Bramble won this clearly, at least 9 rounds to 6, maybe better. A number of rounds were close, but Bramble consistently landed the harder, more damaging punches throughout. Still, Mancini boxed about as well as you could ever expect him to, to his credit.
Rex Tickard is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For reasons I can't completely understand, Boom Boom's management steered him to matches with fellow pressure fighters -- Bramble, Bogner (cancelled two or three times), etc.

I think the Frias fight, and later the Chacon fight, gave them the idea that no one could stand toe-to-toe with Boom -- and when looking at those two fights, they should have realized that they were lesser (or in Chacon's case lighter) opposition than the sluggers they did want to fight.

Howard Davis and his team pursued a fight with Mancini to no end -- it would have been big money and high profile, but Mancini's people for some reason chose to go another direction. Too bad, because I think Mancini would have handled him and it would have been a very nice win on his resume.

The book, btw, is fantastic -- same author did books on Joe Namath and Pete Maravich. He's a world-class writer and researcher who took the initiative to track down Kim's family and go to Korea to get their perspective. I highly recommend it, one of the best sports books (much less boxing books) that I have had the pleasure to read.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
Jacquot
Cruiserweight Paper Champ
ESB Jr Member

The Mancini book is terrific. Great read.

He was a much better fighter than some give him credit for being. With his style, his prime was never going to last long.

The Bramble vs. Mancini fights were a lot of fun to watch.
Jacquot is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
For reasons I can't completely understand, Boom Boom's management steered him to matches with fellow pressure fighters -- Bramble, Bogner (cancelled two or three times), etc.

I think the Frias fight, and later the Chacon fight, gave them the idea that no one could stand toe-to-toe with Boom -- and when looking at those two fights, they should have realized that they were lesser (or in Chacon's case lighter) opposition than the sluggers they did want to fight.

Howard Davis and his team pursued a fight with Mancini to no end -- it would have been big money and high profile, but Mancini's people for some reason chose to go another direction. Too bad, because I think Mancini would have handled him and it would have been a very nice win on his resume.

The book, btw, is fantastic -- same author did books on Joe Namath and Pete Maravich. He's a world-class writer and researcher who took the initiative to track down Kim's family and go to Korea to get their perspective. I highly recommend it, one of the best sports books (much less boxing books) that I have had the pleasure to read.
and interesting fight would have been Ray Mancini vs. Edwin Rosario. Ray's style might have blasted Edwin out in 2 rounds.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
and interesting fight would have been Ray Mancini vs. Edwin Rosario. Ray's style might have blasted Edwin out in 2 rounds.
Rosario would have slaughtered Mancini.
Xplosive is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum