Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #31
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 111
vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxing concepts

It's all about keeping your hands down, chin up, keep your stance as square as possible, preferably perpendicular to your opponents stance, make sure you wind up your whole body and bring your arm back as far as possible before you throw it forward so you can do the most possible damage. If you follow this advice in literally every possible situation, you'll be a superstar in no time. Good luck bud
jordaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #32
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 111
vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxing concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Hands up Chin down, means one thing. You are waiting to get Hit, Why do it, all greatAthletes in any Sport Dont, it affects the Biomechanics.
Winky Wright did it. He was a total boss. Also the big difference with those athletes is that they know when to put their hands up. I always loved watching how right when someone would get inside on pernell Whitaker and try and throw really any shot and Pernell would just bring his hand up to his face right before. That only comes with enormous amounts of sparring coupled with continued improvement and natural ability and reflexes.

Also Bernard Hopkins was very good at keeping his hands up and chin down and generally staying tight and he was a boss also, though wright took it to a whole other level.
jordaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #33
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxing concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordaw View Post
Winky Wright did it. He was a total boss. Also the big difference with those athletes is that they know when to put their hands up. I always loved watching how right when someone would get inside on pernell Whitaker and try and throw really any shot and Pernell would just bring his hand up to his face right before. That only comes with enormous amounts of sparring coupled with continued improvement and natural ability and reflexes.

Also Bernard Hopkins was very good at keeping his hands up and chin down and generally staying tight and he was a boss also, though wright took it to a whole other level.
Theres a time to do it hands up obvious, but never Chin Down. Them 2 never did it, Winky was all back Foot. Hopkins was Chin in not down. When I say Hands down I dont mean scratching your nipples, Elbows on Ribs, Hands level with shoulders. Now if you cant lift your hands 3 inch while the other has to move His 2 Foot somethings wrong.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #34
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: boxing concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordaw View Post
Winky Wright did it. He was a total boss. Also the big difference with those athletes is that they know when to put their hands up. I always loved watching how right when someone would get inside on pernell Whitaker and try and throw really any shot and Pernell would just bring his hand up to his face right before. That only comes with enormous amounts of sparring coupled with continued improvement and natural ability and reflexes.

Also Bernard Hopkins was very good at keeping his hands up and chin down and generally staying tight and he was a boss also, though wright took it to a whole other level.
Ever wonder why Winky couldn't punch through a wet paper bag?
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #35
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 111
vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxing concepts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is Bernard Hopkins speaking to rashad Evans about how he likes to defend himself. Around 4:30 he talks all about how he keeps his chin down tucked behind his left shoulder.

Ever been caught flush in the chin? I have. It hurts. Pacquiao got knocked out with a shot right on the chin very recently. Aaron Davis knocked out mark breland with a very similar shot. Mark breland kept his hands down all the time. Mark breland knocked people out all the time with a well timed right hand on someone's chin. Usually this happened in some situation where his opponent would not have his chin down and therefore leave it exposed. You can be damn sure that keeping your chin TUCKED DOWN behind your shoulders is an effective method for preventing this.

I would also happily trade being able to hit through a wet paper bag for dominating (and often HURTING) someone that could hit through a brick wall (a.k.a Tito Trinidad)
jordaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #36
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 111
vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxing concepts

Also maybe you should watch winky fight again. He had his two arms up all the time like a damn shield.
jordaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #37
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: boxing concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordaw View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is Bernard Hopkins speaking to rashad Evans about how he likes to defend himself. Around 4:30 he talks all about how he keeps his chin down tucked behind his left shoulder.

Ever been caught flush in the chin? I have. It hurts. Pacquiao got knocked out with a shot right on the chin very recently. Aaron Davis knocked out mark breland with a very similar shot. Mark breland kept his hands down all the time. Mark breland knocked people out all the time with a well timed right hand on someone's chin. Usually this happened in some situation where his opponent would not have his chin down and therefore leave it exposed. You can be damn sure that keeping your chin TUCKED DOWN behind your shoulders is an effective method for preventing this.

I would also happily trade being able to hit through a wet paper bag for dominating (and often HURTING) someone that could hit through a brick wall (a.k.a Tito Trinidad)
Tito was always lost against a fighter with a jab. Winky was a very negative fighter, great at avoiding damage but terrible at inflicting it. He had his jab as a weapon and that was it, poor punching mechanics and no left hand. Winky was always punching down from his face with his arm punches, he never got his legs or core behind anything. We're talking about boxing technique and Wright's was poor, someone mentioned how punching with your hands above your shoulders restricts you and Winky is a perfect example of that. It's a testament to Winky's toughness, discipline and boxing IQ that he was able to do so well with just a shell and a jab.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #38
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 111
vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxing concepts

Trinidad beat De la Hoya who had the best jab in the business. I agree with you about the fact that wright did not hit very hard. However, just because he didn't hit hard does not mean that he had bad technique. Wright chose not to commit with his punches in order to prevent himself from being exposed. His punches still had some pop to them though. your talking about him like he's paulie malignaggi for gods sake. He had tito hurt several times in that fight and i honestly think if he commited to the knockout he would have had it. His tight guard won him that fight because it was effective at preventing any damage from titos hard straight shots. His guard was the best aspect of his defense. If he didn't have that guard, he would have NOT been stylistically favorable over Tito.
jordaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #39
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxing concepts

Wright was a great fighter ... He used his defence so well. And he could bang don't doubt it. He just couldn't surprise you.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #40
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxing concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordaw View Post
Trinidad beat De la Hoya who had the best jab in the business. I agree with you about the fact that wright did not hit very hard. However, just because he didn't hit hard does not mean that he had bad technique. Wright chose not to commit with his punches in order to prevent himself from being exposed. His punches still had some pop to them though. your talking about him like he's paulie malignaggi for gods sake. He had tito hurt several times in that fight and i honestly think if he commited to the knockout he would have had it. His tight guard won him that fight because it was effective at preventing any damage from titos hard straight shots. His guard was the best aspect of his defense. If he didn't have that guard, he would have NOT been stylistically favorable over Tito.
There will always be exceptions in anything, With the Head theres not, Chin down, cant move the Shoulder. Chin in can lift the Shoulder for cover.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #41
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: boxing concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordaw View Post
Trinidad beat De la Hoya who had the best jab in the business. I agree with you about the fact that wright did not hit very hard. However, just because he didn't hit hard does not mean that he had bad technique. Wright chose not to commit with his punches in order to prevent himself from being exposed. His punches still had some pop to them though. your talking about him like he's paulie malignaggi for gods sake. He had tito hurt several times in that fight and i honestly think if he commited to the knockout he would have had it. His tight guard won him that fight because it was effective at preventing any damage from titos hard straight shots. His guard was the best aspect of his defense. If he didn't have that guard, he would have NOT been stylistically favorable over Tito.
Honestly De La Hoya schooled him until he decided to run. I just don't like Wright's safety first style, he was a bit more fun to watch pre-Vargas. I don't think he ever had Tito hurt from memory, I think it was more that Trinidad had given up and looked defeated from early in the fight. Because of Winky's guard he always had to wait and take it in turns to punch with his opponent. Even before he adopted the high guard his power was unimpressive, I consider him a Malignaggi level puncher. I don't think he closed his fists when he punched either apart from the jab.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #42
jigga5
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Default Re: boxing concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
There will always be exceptions in anything, With the Head theres not, Chin down, cant move the Shoulder. Chin in can lift the Shoulder for cover.
scrap can you clarify the difference between chin tucked in vs chin down? Like do you have pics/ videos of the correct was vs incorrect way? Thanks
jigga5 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #43
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxing concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga5 View Post
scrap can you clarify the difference between chin tucked in vs chin down? Like do you have pics/ videos of the correct was vs incorrect way? Thanks
Its everywhere, when I 1st started, I was told Hands up Chin down, so you are looking through your Eyebrows like most. So I asked why, and was told stops you getting Knocked out. Over the years Ive found it gets you, knocked out. Why, everything Biomechanicaly is wrong for movement and Balance,it doesnt make sense. Everything is wrong, simply the Chin should be in, not down, the idea is to put the top 8 vertebrae, where they are supposed to be ,naturally not under Stress. Look around at the ATG in detail they all did it. Chin down, what are you looking at, the Floor, looking at where you will finnish up.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #44
daly5050
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Default Re: boxing concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
That sounds about right, Plus the Chin has to be back to clench the Ball. Puts the Ears where they should be for proprioceptive duties.
Cheers Scrap, Appreciate the response!
daly5050 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #45
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 700
vCash: 500
Default Re: boxing concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daly5050 View Post
Cheers Scrap, Appreciate the response!
It was kind of confusing to me also, chin down, chin in. The one you describe where you are looking through your eyebrows sounds a little extreme. I dont think I have seen that being taught, now I know its techinically it's chin in, but I guess over here it will still be called chin down cos at first I was a little confused.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013