Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default For those who quit competing. Why? + How?

Hi guys a month or so ago i injured my self after sparring and havent been able to box. While away from the boxing gym ive been questiong my passion/ love for the sport and just wanted to ask you guys when did you know/ how did you know you didnt want to box anymore.
I've can honestly say i have given my all to boxing for a good part of my life and sacrificied quite a bit would be a shame to just quit now but im not sure i want to box anymore.
pichuchu is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
markiepoop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 650
Default Re: For those who quit competing. Why? + How?

i quit for a while during the start of 2012 too, but about 2 months after i quit, i was called up and was asked if i want to compete again 2 weeks before the competition.

i hesitated and really was unsure of what to do as at the point of time i was doing well joining other sports like floorball and generally doing well in life.

but i guess it's kinda hard to quit competing and after i took up that competition, i never looked back since...

i think you have to consider it quite seriously. Because if you quit for let's say half a year, then realise that you want to get back, you have wasted 1/2 a year and will definitely be upsetted by the "gains" you could have gotten during the time you quit.

but if you realise your passion for the sport is not as strong anymore and perhaps found passion in another sport, go ahead and try new things out.

whatever you do , just leave no regrets behind
markiepoop is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Take a break
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
billy boy balbo

vCash: 75

lots of reasons,big factor was making weight, was going in for fights at 60kg when i was struggling to make 69kg. coach just kept pushing me because i was the only one who competed at lightweight in the club,didnt want to let anyone down.
billy boy balbo is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Aplin
Nak Muay
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

I gave up in 2011(ish) to concentrate on Girlfriend, University and Work. Didn't really have my priorities right to be honest - was training 5/6 days a week and getting to work shattered and just thinking ahead to the gym. Then, when I got home I'd be too tired to concentrate on University anyway and Girlfriend would only get to see me for like an hour a day (in which I should be doing uni work!).

Took 2 years off to finish University and really focus on getting a good job / solidifying my relationship.

I kept my fitness by running and lifting weights, but I wish I hadn't given it all up now - what would have been better would have been to train once or twice a week just to keep me ticking over. Am back training now three times a week (with Work and Girlfriend taking up the rest of the week).
Aplin is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Take a break
This.I got tkoed in my last fight cause of all the studying for my last exams,family problems,no work,and on top of that went into a fight with a bladder infection cause all of the stress(and no quality sparring as well).
After that i said no boxing for a while,after 5 months got back to light training and then bam!start missing the hell of it!
Finished college,solved family problems and now looking for work and training!
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

I think it happens to most take a few weeks off. I had a jaw injury before Christmas so took about 3/4weeks off. I'm just about healed up and I'm ****ing loving it in the gym at the moment.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

yeah I concur take a break, boxing has no off-season so its up to you when you decide you need to rest or take some time off. I'm sure after a few weeks you'll by dying to get back in there
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

My last fight was in November 2010, because I turned 34 in May that year.
RDJ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing