Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muhammad Ali 1973/74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlack View Post
Beats them all, except maybe Larry Holmes of 1981-1982, and that's pick 'em.

I'd give this one to Ali of 1973/74. 51/49 in Ali's favour.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
BlackCloud
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I'd give this one to Ali of 1973/74. 51/49 in Ali's favour.
The way Larry could leave his left hand low he would be catching those right hands all night long Stevie.
BlackCloud is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
The way Larry could leave his left hand low he would be catching those right hands all night long Stevie.
Right hands would definitley have been a factor,BlackCloud. Ali would have led off with them several times.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I must admit i always felt that Ali circa Quarry 2nd combined the near as damn it speed of his first reign with the added strengh of full maturity - and good hands which effected him later down the road, the problem was it was a capability to perform at this level was rarely shown during this Pre-Norton "Roadshow Period"
Ali was bored for the most part but did show Flashes of this reserve capability in selected rounds of fights...Quarry 2nd and a couple of rounds of Patterson "Hinted" at this higher capability, I think Norton would certainly of noticed the difference in this more focused Ali..with Good Hands.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #20
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
I must admit i always felt that Ali circa Quarry 2nd combined the near as damn it speed of his first reign with the added strengh of full maturity - and good hands which effected him later down the road, the problem was it was a capability to perform at this level was rarely shown during this Pre-Norton "Roadshow Period"
Ali was bored for the most part but did show Flashes of this reserve capability in selected rounds of fights...Quarry 2nd and a couple of rounds of Patterson "Hinted" at this higher capability, I think Norton would certainly of noticed the difference in this more focused Ali..with Good Hands.
Good post.

Jerry Quarry II 1972
Ken Norton II 1973
Joe Frazier II 1974
George Foreman 1974

The best seventies incarnation of Ali.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Ali himself did not rate his performance against Foreman very highly. He gave it an 8 out of 10. If you really watch that fight early on Ali was having trouble. George was trapping Ali in corners and along the ropes and at the same time Alis punches were not strong enough to keep George at bey. At the end of round one Foreman lands heavy full forse blows to Alis body that had to really hurt. After round one, inbetween rounds, ali realized that he was moving three steps to Georges one and in a ring with heavy canvas padding he was exhausting himself trying to keep away. This is why right at the very beginning of round two he tries going to the ropes and finds he can handle Foreman there. IMO Ali was better in his second bouts with Frazier and Norton than he was for Foremen.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #22
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
Ali himself did not rate his performance against Foreman very highly. He gave it an 8 out of 10. If you really watch that fight early on Ali was having trouble. George was trapping Ali in corners and along the ropes and at the same time Alis punches were not strong enough to keep George at bey. At the end of round one Foreman lands heavy full forse blows to Alis body that had to really hurt. After round one, inbetween rounds, ali realized that he was moving three steps to Georges one and in a ring with heavy canvas padding he was exhausting himself trying to keep away. This is why right at the very beginning of round two he tries going to the ropes and finds he can handle Foreman there. IMO Ali was better in his second bouts with Frazier and Norton than he was for Foremen.

Ali,imo,was just as good in the Foreman fight. Different tactics. In the second Norton and Frazier bouts,he fought like we were used to seeing him fight.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum