teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Yes, you're right..what distinguished Alfonso Fraser's body work against Locche was that it was part of a clever battle plan devised for the purpose of just scoring points..as he put it in an interview...to go in, pepper the body, which was a more stationary target than Locche's head, and then just as quicly, get out of range.."in and out"..and I guess the tactic was helpful in that it just may have been Locche's night to be taken, but it worked, whatever the case. Sometimes, fights won when a fighter adopts a clever strategy or game plan fascinate me more than the big knockouts and fireworks. I think that Buchanan was certainly capable of pulling off that trick with Locche..remember Ken's nontitle win over Donato Paduano...on the night of Ali-Bonavena at MSG. Ken was always more graceful and fleet a boxer against guys that weren't long-limbed fleet footed movers like Laguna. Locche was brilliant, but he wasn't exactly a dancer or a runner or a mover. His brilliance was of the upper body, and any body who committed themselves too much on their power, trying to nail Locche to the head or body that way was usually foiled.
Thanks for that, sounds like Fraser used the classic Gavin Rees title winning gameplan! Quality, it's definitely the right gameplan, and like i said before, Buchanan can mix it to both body and head whilst moving all the while, he is a man that can win this. But i just think that at his very best Locche can overcome even a bad styles match-up. Antonio Cervantes was a clever counter-puncher who wouldn't play right into his hands and Locche come out on top against him, even in the rematch he was doing the same for long periods. Though in my opinion Buchanan is better and more versatile in terms 9of effectiveness than Cervantes.

Based on a styles match-up, Buchanan might be favoured, i just think that Locche can't be written off regardless here, even with his comfort zone (limitations?), i think he is very capable of overcoming such. Buchanan is pure class though, and his ring generalship might even take it for him. I think its closer than people might, i'm more of a Buchanan fan than a Locche fan btw.
teeto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #17
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West View Post
one of my fav fighters is ian napa a very similar fighter to locche. now he doesnt have the talent of locche but he has the style, the powerless punches and the unaggressive/ passive behaviour.
napa got outpointed alot of the times becuase if the guy is on the backfoot he has to chase which means he has lost the arguement.

a outboxer always beats a trapper i feel. give them something to bite on then get out and counter the counterpuncher, a reaosn why i felt that calzaghe outpointed hopkins was on this aspect.

moore,toney,napa,locche,eubank had problems when the guy didnt come to him, we all know that. so logically kenny would outpoint him with that left cross while locche waits for the right cross.
Napa doesnt really remind me of Locche to tell you the truth. Reminds more of a Lorenzo Parra defensively and off the top of my head maybe someone like Victor Burgos on the front foot .. Doesnt have the overall stationary defensive tools that Nicolino employed, and therefore seems to use his legs more.

In the Ballone and Bouziane he was often the aggressor ..Admittedly I havent seen much of him.

What were his fights that reminded you of Locche?
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I saw Buchanan in the ring with Ismael Laguna and he did very well. Ken was a boxer and a good one with some pop in both hands. Loche was a master defensive wizard. This fight would be a tough fight for Ken and I think it could go down to the wire as a close, close fight...if they fought 3 times I could see 1-1-1
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Yes, I've always been a fan of Buchanan's. I think that his title winning effort against Laguna was won thru sheer will to win and grittiness, but that nontitle fight with Paduano in '70 was what really impressed even the oldtimers and brought comparisons with past boxing masters. I also think he deserved a rematch with Duran, and provided the Pride of Panama with his toughest test. Ken actually seemed to be on a surge of sorts in the fateful 13th round just prior to the outrageous ending and was screwed over by the ref, who could have allowed Buchanan a bit more time to recover, IMO.
The Paduano fight was Kenny at his best IMO, smooth and fluent with superb ring-generalship.

He definitely deserved another shot at Duran; I'm in the minority that thinks he may have done better second time around - Duran became more measured and less frenetic in the following years and although this version of him was an improvement, it just may have helped Buchanan out in the sense that he would have had more time to think and fight at his own pace, as well as having a clearer idea of what to expect without giving away the early rounds. That might be Irish logic though seen as how Duran simply got better and better; Ken would have always been hard pressed to beat him.

I also think that the resultant animosity on Buchanan's part took something from him after a while and hastened his decline whilst Duran's star was rising.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #20
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
The Paduano fight was Kenny at his best IMO, smooth and fluent with superb ring-generalship.

He definitely deserved another shot at Duran; I'm in the minority that thinks he may have done better second time around - Duran became more measured and less frenetic in the following years and although this version of him was an improvement, it just may have helped Buchanan out in the sense that he would have had more time to think and fight at his own pace, as well as having a clearer idea of what to expect without giving away the early rounds. That might be Irish logic though seen as how Duran simply got better and better; Ken would have always been hard pressed to beat him.

I also think that the resultant animosity on Buchanan's part took something from him after a while and hastened his decline whilst Duran's star was rising.
Right...I agree with you on both counts...I have always thought that Buchanan would have been more successful the second time around, and though I'm not saying that he'd BEAT Duran, but I'm sure he would have gone the distance and it would have been close. That, by the way, is what I believe that Duran and his management realized and wisely, but wrongfully sidestepped giving the Scot a much deserved rematch.
Also, I definitely think that the loss and the failure to secure a rematch took something out of Buchanan, who would go on to lose to an inferior opponent, Guts Suzuki, who wouldn't have come close to beating Buchanan a few years earlier. Buchanan could have gone on to beating DeJesus, Camacho, and so many others, IMO, but got let down I believe by circumstances.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Bump
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I still figure it the same way..I believe that Buchanan wouldn't be lobbing haymakers at the brilliant Locche. Instead he'd be selectively scoring when and where he could and using his greater mobility vs Locche. I think Kenny would fight an intelligent strategy in this one, even if it mean't a very boring fight.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum