Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #181
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 10918
Default Re: Deontay Wilders next fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgore View Post
Just 5 days ago Fury stated he wants Wilder,Jennings or Banks.
Thats cool hopefully if people take him up he won't back out again.
SweetHome_Bama is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #182
Leftsmash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 400

Quote:
Because I can't stand the bloke as a fighter,simple as that really,he looked awful in his last fight against Price .. big knockout sure,bravo but on a technical level he looked absoloutely sloppy .. he is learning nothing with these fights and all this mention of big fights is nonsense,why would any of the top fighters in the division want to bother with him?He brings nothing to the table and is hyped so much purely for having a big punch.
Could maybe see him as a stepping stone for Fury and Price to get a foot in and he'd probably look ok as a name on some other american prospects record.
Who has hyped him? Most people in the know are aware he's still coming along, if he was already on TV like Bama mentioned receiving praise on the level like Mitchell, Arreola or Grant for that matter then a lot of the critcism would be well warranted but he's not and having only made really one TV appearance, he's practically unknown.
Leftsmash is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #183
conraddobler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1847

Quote:
Because I can't stand the bloke as a fighter,simple as that really,he looked awful in his last fight against Price .. big knockout sure,bravo but on a technical level he looked absoloutely sloppy .. he is learning nothing with these fights and all this mention of big fights is nonsense,why would any of the top fighters in the division want to bother with him?He brings nothing to the table and is hyped so much purely for having a big punch.
Could maybe see him as a stepping stone for Fury and Price to get a foot in and he'd probably look ok as a name on some other american prospects record.
if all the talk about big fights is nonsense, why are you objecting to his "little fight" with Greer?
conraddobler is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #184
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftsmash View Post
How would anyone know if they haven't even made the anouncments?
I was responding to the "staying busy while setting up bigger fights" claim. If no announcements have been made then it's far more likely given his track record that he'll continue to pad his record with Z-list opponents than make any significant step ups this year.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #185
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
I was responding to the "staying busy while setting up bigger fights" claim. If no announcements have been made then it's far more likely given his track record that he'll continue to pad his record with Z-list opponents than make any significant step ups this year.
It is clear you like the other dude just have you panties in a bunch regarding Deontay.

I'm almost positive it is because Wlad said he was the future.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #186
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHome_Bama View Post
According to him he wants Jennings. I do remember he tried to setup a fight with Fury after Fury challenged him, but then Fury backed out.
I've heard Wilder and his team calling out a number of bigger names in the past then fighting some complete no-hoper at the last minute instead. Once, maybe twice, I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he seems to be making a habit of it whilst continuing to fight absolutely dire opposition. If Wilder is such a stud that all these guys keep pulling out in fear then his team needs to have a backup option that doesn't involve going down to the local leisure centre and pulling the first random scrub they find. Personally speaking I don't think Wilder should be fighting anyone on that level until he steps his game up. There are plenty of solid journeymen in need of a payday that would put rounds under his belt, if Wilder is actually interested in gaining experience and not just maintaining his smoke and mirrors KO streak.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #187
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

He's still coming along admittingly. I worry his arrogance will be the worst of him. He doesnt respect his opponents but then again, if you're paying a corpse to fall over it's understandable.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #188
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
He's still coming along admittingly. I worry his arrogance will be the worst of him. He doesnt respect his opponents but then again, if you're paying a corpse to fall over it's understandable.
How doesn't he respect his opponents?
How is he arrogant?

LOL
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #189
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I've heard Wilder and his team calling out a number of bigger names in the past then fighting some complete no-hoper at the last minute instead. Once, maybe twice, I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he seems to be making a habit of it whilst continuing to fight absolutely dire opposition. If Wilder is such a stud that all these guys keep pulling out in fear then his team needs to have a backup option that doesn't involve going down to the local leisure centre and pulling the first random scrub they find. Personally speaking I don't think Wilder should be fighting anyone on that level until he steps his game up. There are plenty of solid journeymen in need of a payday that would put rounds under his belt, if Wilder is actually interested in gaining experience and not just maintaining his smoke and mirrors KO streak.
I don't think anyone said Wilder is the most feared man in the division.
I believe I specifically pointed to only one fighter who backed out and that was Tyson Fury.

Before teh Price fight Deontay and his promotions main deal was refining his craft and training him how to box like a professional and protect his chin.

Wilder should stay busy and increase his ring experience and skill level, via camps and sparring with fighters who are of higher class than him, like Wlad and Haye.

Deontay isn't hyped on a KO streak by the way, that was someone else, he got KO'd the moment he stepped up.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #190
Leftsmash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 400

Quote:
I believe I specifically pointed to only one fighter who backed out and that was Tyson Fury.

Before teh Price fight Deontay and his promotions main deal was refining his craft and training him how to box like a professional and protect his chin.

Wilder should stay busy and increase his ring experience and skill level, via camps and sparring with fighters who are of higher class than him, like Wlad and Haye.

Deontay isn't hyped on a KO streak by the way, that was someone else, he got KO'd the moment he stepped up.
Thank you Bama, I could understand a lot more hate and criticism for Wilder if he was legit Hypejob and was receving praise left right and centre for skills he does not possess but as it is he's only a work in progress.
Leftsmash is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #191
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:

Well, for whatever reason he finds it hard to make fights with bigger names, he needs to set his sights lower and have decent backup opponents in case no deal can be made with the primary. Calling out Jennings or Fury then fighting someone like Greer instead makes him look like a tit. It does very little for his credibility. Fury may have been the one to pull out (personally I don't think either party put anything serious on the table), but he's still managed to get a fight with Kevin Johnson in the interim whilst Wilder is still fighting the bum of the month.

You're right, sparring with Wlad and Haye would do him a world of wonders, but at some point he needs to test his skills out on live opponents in actual competitive fights. Doesn't even need to be someone that great. Mike Mollo or Brian Minto would be decent tests, basically someone who doesn't enter the ring swinging their tits and looking to lie down at the first opportunity.

Quote:
Wilder's 100% KO ratio is absolutely something his backers are counting on as a future selling point. Don't kid yourself it isn't.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #192
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftsmash View Post
Thank you Bama, I could understand a lot more hate and criticism for Wilder if he was legit Hypejob and was receving praise left right and centre for skills he does not possess but as it is he's only a work in progress.
Who's being compared to legit prospects like Price and Fury without being remotely on their level.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #193
conraddobler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1847

Quote:
Who's being compared to legit prospects like Price and Fury without being remotely on their level.
not to accept your premise (wasn't David Price ESPN prospect of the year? Tyson Fury is ranked 10 in Ring magazine) what if he beats Skelton?

Would you favor Skelton over Wilder? Be honest!
conraddobler is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #194
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
There's a REASON Wilder fights nothing but stiffs. He can't take a punch and his handlers know it.
Zakman is online now  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #195
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by conraddobler View Post
not to accept your premise (wasn't David Price ESPN prospect of the year? Tyson Fury is ranked 10 in Ring magazine) what if he beats Skelton?

Would you favor Skelton over Wilder? Be honest!
Yes. Skelton's awkward, tough and very experienced at the domestic level. He'd by far be Wilder's biggest test to date.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum