Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #61
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: How I would advise Robert Guerrero to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

tezel the southpaw right jab isn't in the same alignment as Cotto's jab would be. it's not going to land at the same angles. He can use it to set up a shot, but it's not going to drive him back like a stiff left jab did with Oscar and Cotto.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #62
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Sorry, it's very rare that Mayweather get's hit flush in some instances.

Cotto a BOSS.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #63
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post

Sorry, it's very rare that Mayweather get's hit flush in some instances.

Cotto a BOSS.

Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #64
Manfred
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Cotto did what I haven't seen any other fighter do, and that was; he got inside Mayweathers head and disrupted his rhythm. It started with that offbeat jab and that in turn allowed him to do some other things that had limited success. However, Mayweather did adjust and won the fight by a comfortable margin. If a fighter wants to be successful with Floyd, he has to out-think him for the majority of the fight or get lucky and knock his ass out.I just don't see a fighter at 147 that can do that right now.
Manfred is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #65
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

Guerrero is too slow and doesn't have enough power top trouble PBF IMO. His roughhouse tactics worked against Bertyo because Berto is one dimesional has suspect stamina and can't fight on the inside. He can't think he will be able to bully and roughhouse a guy like PBF who will beat him at his own game by doing so. I just don't see any way that Guerrero can be really effective against PBF. He might find success early by trying to ambush but by the 4th round he will be figured eat right hands and get walked down and broken down. At the end of the day PBF is too smart and too good for the Ghost. Even this slowed version of PBF has the Ghost beat at all ranges. I see the Ghost wining 3 rounds at best in this fight but his grit and toughness will make it look like he was more competetive than he really was.
Pimp C is online now  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #66
NOTINDAFACE
No Me Se Rajar
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Cheers for Floyd to always fight these young lions who's best win is Andre Berto. When the likes of Guerrero and Ortiz calls him out he all of the sudden ready to die. Just wait for the hype from team money trying to make this look like a even match up
NOTINDAFACE is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #67
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Cotto looks like a midget mime there. lol

Quote:
Use The Jab, double it, triple it.
This new Mayweather with his enhancements is very comfortable with shoulder rolling against southpaws, especially rolling with their jabs
Slickstar is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #68
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

From the little we saw against Ortiz, if you are going to be jabbing Mayweather from the southpaw stance, it has to be a stiff jab, feint with it, body and head. Mayweather used Ortiz's jab as a trigger to land the straight right, whether it landed on Mayweathers shoulder, elbow, forearm, etc...he would fire a right straight back out and then change the angle.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #69
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
From the little we saw against Ortiz, if you are going to be jabbing Mayweather from the southpaw stance, it has to be a stiff jab, feint with it, body and head. Mayweather used Ortiz's jab as a trigger to land the straight right, whether it landed on Mayweathers shoulder, elbow, forearm, etc...he would fire a right straight back out and then change the angle.
Exactly. Which is why I initially said forget about pawing the left jab, Floyd is just going to time that shit.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #70
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Upset alert.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #71
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxalot View Post
I agree almost entirely with what you say, Bogotazo.

The general concencus (not necessarily on here, but other places i've seen) has always been that you need to be a big, strong pressure fighter with a great chin and high punch output to beat Floyd, but i have always disagreed with that.

I've always felt that you need a variety of gameplans to beat Floyd and you need the ability to shift tactics and strategy mid-round. You need to be versatile and more than adequete in following at least 3 different stratergys. Floyd is so brilliant at ad******g that he can do it on his own, mid-round and early on in the fight. He rarely gets caught with the same shot twice and he can change his own offence in the very rare occasions it doesn't work (couldn't find the target often against Cotto so he brings the lead uppercut into play, which i'd rarely, if ever seen from him).

Guerrero DOES have this versatility. He can be a slick, relatively elusive southpaw who fights predominantly from the outside, and he showed his infighting ability against a bigger man in Andre Berto. He basically out-dogged Berto in that fight and wanted it more, but could he do this against Floyd? Not imo, no, although he would have to do it at times in the fight. He's also showed (in i think it was the Katsidis fight) that he can fight from strange angles at mid-long distance and throw LOTS of punches per round. Haven't seen that fight for a while but i'm pretty sure he was throwing body shots, jabs, straight lefts, 4, 5, 6 punch combinations, the lot. I do remember being impressed with his offensive arsenal in that fight and i picked him to beat Maidana in their scheduled bout.

What i'm saying is that Guerrero DOES have the versatility that i believe to be required in order to beat Floyd. You don't just beat him with one gameplan because, whatever it is, he WILL make the adjustments required to neutralise your gameplan. Is Guerrero good enough at the variety of gameplans i mention to beat Floyd? No, not a chance.

FWIW, i respect your opinion greatly on here and i wouldn't follow too dissimilar a stratergy to the one you laid out.
Posts like these are so bad.

Yes Ghost may have great punch output versus X, Y and Z, but Floyd isn't any of them. Floyd (and most effective boxers - JMM, Ward, BHop, etc.) is well known for reducing opponent punch output as fight goes on.

Guerrero has to make it a dogfight and be dirty. Not Judah/Ortiz dirty, but Castillo dirty. Holding, phonebooth fighting, elbows, etc. You CANNOT overcome the skills of Floyd. You need to frustrate Floyd, somehow.
bjl12 is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #72
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl12 View Post
Posts like these are so bad.

Yes Ghost may have great punch output versus X, Y and Z, but Floyd isn't any of them. Floyd (and most effective boxers - JMM, Ward, BHop, etc.) is well known for reducing opponent punch output as fight goes on.

Guerrero has to make it a dogfight and be dirty. Not Judah/Ortiz dirty, but Castillo dirty. Holding, phonebooth fighting, elbows, etc. You CANNOT overcome the skills of Floyd. You need to frustrate Floyd, somehow.
How is the post bad when all you're proposing is "be dirty for 12 rounds"? A diversity of tactics is demonstrably better against Floyd and we've seen pure pressure fail on numerous occasions. If you go in the ring thinking Floyd is unbeatable on the outside no matter what you do every moment of the fight, you've lost half the battle already.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #73
guru059
TV Packager
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1687

I hope Nevada appoints a good referee who lets the guys work inside. If it's a Jay Nady-type that breaks them up as soon as they get tangled, forget about it.
guru059 is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #74
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru059 View Post
I hope Nevada appoints a good referee who lets the guys work inside. If it's a Jay Nady-type that breaks them up as soon as they get tangled, forget about it.
Is Nady really like that?
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #75
uranage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Is Nady really like that?
Not that I'm aware....Cortez is like that. If Money gets a Cortez like ref, the Ghost is in big trouble.
uranage is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum