Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Primes,, Dempsey vs. Johnson: How would you advise each boxer?

Jack Dempsey vs. Jack Johnson, each at the peak of their abilities.

20 rounds, no knock down limit, no neutral corner rule, boxers can punch on breaking, 6 oz. gloves w/thumbs, referee isn't squeemish and a bit on the laissez faire-side.

How would you advise each fighter?
guilalah is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Primes,, Dempsey vs. Johnson: How would you advise each boxer?

Tell Dempsey you're black.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Id advise that Dempsey not show up!..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

You tell them both to be themselves.

Johnson would be smart to pick up points on the outside and move a bit, and when Dempsey closed the distance, use the uppercut and tie him up. Walk him around and muscle him backwards while you have him clinched.

Dempsey needs to use upper body movement to get close and start the bombs.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Tell Dempsey you're black.
Oh you are a card S !
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilalah View Post
Jack Dempsey vs. Jack Johnson, each at the peak of their abilities.

20 rounds, no knock down limit, no neutral corner rule, boxers can punch on breaking, 6 oz. gloves w/thumbs, referee isn't squeemish and a bit on the laissez faire-side.

How would you advise each fighter?
The all action swarmer against the cautious defensive master.

Johnson said Dempsey was "a 4 round fighter," extremely dangerous in those rounds,after which he became"just another hooker".

The scenarios that present themselves imo, are
Dempsey by early ko
Johnson by dec
Johnson by late tko
Dempsey by dec [ only if Johnson's work rate is not sufficient and Alex Creggains is the referee].

Dempsey has a chance of koing anyone, but he usually did it in the first half of a fight.
Lets assume he comes out in his usual blitzkrieg mode, can Johnson contain him and smother his deadly hooks?

I think Johnson would manage it because of his skill at nullifying an opponents offence with clinching and using his strength inside.

Johnson would be in potential jeopardy anytime Dempsey gets in punching range on those spindly, quick legs, but he was a master at smothering attacks.

Tunney stated that Dempsey was hard to tag cleanly on the chin with a right cross, but Tunney was not noted for the uppercut , the classic punch against a bob and weave croucher.
Johnson had an uppercut unmatched until Holmes came on the scene.

The problem with this punch is it leaves you in danger of the left hook whilst the right hand is engaged in delivering it.
If the Mauler lands clean Johnson could taste the canvas, but if he does, on arising he would imprison Dempsey in a vice until his head cleared.

I think Dempsey has some success early, possibly dropping Johnson briefly but becoming increasingly frustrated at his failure to effectively work inside where Johnson would be tying him up and ripping uppercuts into his heart and chin.

Dempsey might send a few south of the border in an effort to get Johnson's guard down, he would certainly get his attention , but Johnson knew all the tricks too,and would not be reluctant in reciprocating.

After the halfway mark I think Dempsey begins to wind down like an old clock and Johnson gradually asserts himself leaning on him, and negating his increasingly sporadic offensive moves.

Dempsey had a fine chin and Johnson did not take unnessary chances ,he would content himself with spinning out a decision in a maul that does not live up to its early rounds excitement.

Johnson by decision, having reduced the whirlwind to a gentle breeze.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Tunney stated that Dempsey was hard to tag cleanly on the chin with a right cross, but Tunney was not noted for the uppercut , the classic punch against a bob and weave croucher.
Johnson had an uppercut unmatched until Holmes came on the scene.

The problem with this punch is it leaves you in danger of the left hook whilst the right hand is engaged in delivering it.
If the Mauler lands clean Johnson could taste the canvas, but if he does, on arising he would imprison Dempsey in a vice until his head cleared.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, McVey.

Not sure if this would factor in, but I've seen comments on Jeffries-Johnson indication Johnson could upper-cut well with either hand.

Dempsey-Brennan II, Brennan in the first round was pretty competitive inside opposing his upercuts to Dempsey's short hooks.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd advise Jackson to view Dempsey as THE great white hope of all hopes. That should be enough
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilalah View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, McVey.

Not sure if this would factor in, but I've seen comments on Jeffries-Johnson indication Johnson could upper-cut well with either hand.

Dempsey-Brennan II, Brennan in the first round was pretty competitive inside opposing his upercuts to Dempsey's short hooks.
Yes I think he could fire it in with either hand . I hadnt really taken on board Brennan's success with the uppercut,I'll have to watch the footage.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Based on how both guys avoided the best out there while champion, this would be a very hard fight to make!

Dempsey - Johnson will be looking to jab, wrestle and grab his way to win on points. Do not fall into this trap. Move and give him angles, forcing him to move his sometimes stationary feet, then engage.

If Johnson tries to hug you, or foul you, respond with kidney shots. On the inside watch out for the right uppercut. Since Johnson was KO’d by a super middle, and floored by others who do not hit nearly as hard as you, once you land a good one, the fight should end. Johnson has a low guard, and low punch out- put, meaning he won’t be prepared for your power and speed on the outside. Remember to throw more punches, but save something for the later rounds too. Johnson is not likely to outwork you.

Johnson - Have an excuse built in leading up to the fight, so this way your fans with rose colored glasses will believe you were not at your best. Just a bit of sarcasm. : ) Play defense early on, and pick the tempo up late. Dempsey's power and speed is very dangerous early, but Dempsey could not keep up his whirlwind pace in the mid to late rounds. Keep your right hand high to block the hook. Try to bait Dempsey to over commit and counter when he misses.

Prediction, Dempsey via KO in 8. Defensive minded counter punchers with average power, and a lower punch out put seldom beat harder hitting / swarming attacking types.

Last edited by Mendoza; 01-18-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Predicition.. Mendoza writes a fail of a post... Oppps too late on that prediction.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
You tell them both to be themselves.

Johnson would be smart to pick up points on the outside and move a bit, and when Dempsey closed the distance, use the uppercut and tie him up. Walk him around and muscle him backwards while you have him clinched.

Dempsey needs to use upper body movement to get close and start the bombs.

Good advice. For both men.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Based on how both guys avoided the best out there while champion, this would be a very hard fight to make!

Dempsey - Johnson will be looking to jab, wrestle and grab his way to win on points. Do not fall into this trap. Move and give him angles, forcing him to move his sometimes stationary feet, then engage.

If Johnson tries to hug you, or foul you, respond with kidney shots. On the inside watch out for the right uppercut. Since Johnson was KOd by a super middle, and floored by others who do not hit nearly as hard as you, once you land a good one, the fight should end. Johnson has a low guard, and low punch out- put, meaning he wont be prepared for your power and speed on the outside. Remember to throw more punches, but save something for the later rounds too. Johnson is not likely to outwork you.

Johnson - Have an excuse built in leading up to the fight, so this way your fans with rose colored glasses will believe you were not at your best. Just a bit of sarcasm. : ) Play defense early on, and pick the tempo up late. Dempsey's power and speed is very dangerous early, but Dempsey could not keep up his whirlwind pace in the mid to late rounds. Keep your right hand high to block the hook. Try to bait Dempsey to over commit and counter when he misses.

Prediction, Dempsey via KO in 8. Defensive minded counter punchers with average power, and a lower punch out put seldom beat harder hitting / swarming attacking types.
What a predictable , agenda driven , moronic post made by a bigoted retard. Congratulations on reaching a new low Rain Man.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
What a predictable , agenda driven , moronic post made by a bigoted retard. Congratulations on reaching a new low Rain Man.

If I irked your thin skin, I guess something very small was accomplished today. My points are fine. First off, neither man fought the best as champion.

Secondly the advise for both fighters to win I think were valid points. Lastly we know you have a laundry list of excuses for Johnson.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
If I irked your thin skin, I guess something very small was accomplished today. My points are fine. First off, neither man fought the best as champion.

Secondly the advise for both fighters to win I think were valid points. Lastly we know you have a laundry list of excuses for Johnson.
You dont irk me you are too insignificant.
I just view you as a source of entertainment similar to the Regency bucks who went to the madhouse called Bedlam to be entertained by the crazies.

Dont worry about my opinion though , I give you as much value as a piece of dog-shit on my shoe.
What should begin to worry you however, is the ever increasing amount of posters that belittle you.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum