Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing the fastest Growing Sport in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
more like hearns id recon. but they seem to suit basketball and AFL.

i was at an AFL meeting the other night, they are starting AFL programmes for 'endangered' kids who are between 16-19yo to get them off their ass and drugs and into sport. the somalis are one targeted culture.

also, i saw a programme on tele that was doing the same thing, again with AFL.
Yea ? They normally just give em a taxi badge here , very good mid distance runners and basketball player though .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Default Re: Boxing the fastest Growing Sport in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Yea ? They normally just give em a taxi badge here , very good mid distance runners and basketball player though .
yeah, AFL is a mid distance runners sport so they say. i dont use taxis much, but it seems to be a new migrant job. thank god for GPS!
swingin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
Totalpac
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
Default Re: Boxing the fastest Growing Sport in Australia

Interesting stat, something doesn't really add up with though.

Putting that stat at it's most basic form, any boxing gym's from 2005 should be bursting at the seams, needing premises upgrades etc etc. Should also be any equal increase in boxing gyms since 2005. Anyone seen this happen in their state? I would argue we haven't in WA.

Look at say BJJ, yes, new schools popping up every day, the established places needing to upgrade etc etc.

The boxing stats just seem a bit off. We are talking the LARGEST growth sport in Australia? I don't see it.
Totalpac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
fighta29
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 892
vCash: 500
Default Re: Boxing the fastest Growing Sport in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalpac View Post
Interesting stat, something doesn't really add up with though.

Putting that stat at it's most basic form, any boxing gym's from 2005 should be bursting at the seams, needing premises upgrades etc etc. Should also be any equal increase in boxing gyms since 2005. Anyone seen this happen in their state? I would argue we haven't in WA.

Look at say BJJ, yes, new schools popping up every day, the established places needing to upgrade etc etc.

The boxing stats just seem a bit off. We are talking the LARGEST growth sport in Australia? I don't see it.

I think surges in participation are more noticed within the boxing community. The general publics interest is based on whatever is in the media at the time. Am boxing is generally the same with slight flucuations around olympic and commonwealth games periods. Boxing training and class participation is also affected by the seasons, serious trainers/fighters are always a base group, with the on-and-off'ers rotating throughout the year and making up the rest of the numbers. Then theres the cross-trainers from other codes (footy, soccer, MMA etc) that like to box in the off season.
fighta29 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: dunno..where am i???
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing the fastest Growing Sport in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighta29 View Post
I think surges in participation are more noticed within the boxing community. The general publics interest is based on whatever is in the media at the time. Am boxing is generally the same with slight flucuations around olympic and commonwealth games periods. Boxing training and class participation is also affected by the seasons, serious trainers/fighters are always a base group, with the on-and-off'ers rotating throughout the year and making up the rest of the numbers. Then theres the cross-trainers from other codes (footy, soccer, MMA etc) that like to box in the off season.
the only stat that matters is registered amatuers. the rest is just window dressing.
rusty nails is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
fighta29
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 892
vCash: 500
Default Re: Boxing the fastest Growing Sport in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
the only stat that matters is registered amatuers. the rest is just window dressing.
Boxing goes way beyond that. If thats the only stat that matters, then boxing is in trouble.
fighta29 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #22
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: dunno..where am i???
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing the fastest Growing Sport in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighta29 View Post
Boxing goes way beyond that. If thats the only stat that matters, then boxing is in trouble.
if you havent noticed champ, boxing is in trouble and has been for quite some time.
rusty nails is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
fighta29
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 892
vCash: 500
Default Re: Boxing the fastest Growing Sport in Australia

I believe this thread is reffering to participation "champ". The trouble is in the pro ranks. The Ams have always been the same, the guard changes every now and then thats all.
Boxing as a general sport is not in trouble, participation is steady, people use it as a fitness tool, or to learn learn the art. No trouble in that.
fighta29 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013