Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #31
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036
Default Re: Pavlik left with Bute or a stay busy fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
If JR wasn't in the process of changing coaches I might think this would be more possible. He'll need to get some work in under the new trainer first.
The problem with Bute is that he is going to want it on his home turf after what happened with Froch. So maybe Pavlik will decide to fight him in Quebec but I think its a bad idea. He would need to put Bute on a stretcher to win.

What about a fight with Dawson? Maybe at a catch weight.
Big Red is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #32
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
The problem with Bute is that he is going to want it on his home turf after what happened with Froch. So maybe Pavlik will decide to fight him in Quebec but I think its a bad idea. He would need to put Bute on a stretcher to win.

What about a fight with Dawson? Maybe at a catch weight.
I doubt we will see Dawson below 175 again anytime soon, if ever. Dawson coming back could actually be interesting. The Pantera KO was pretty brutal by some reports. Weight drain may well have been a factor but it happened so hard to gauge the long term effects yet.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #33
Richel Hersisia
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1360

he should fight alcoholism
Richel Hersisia is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #34
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richel Hersisia View Post
he should fight alcoholism
You should fight for new, novel material instead of jumping on that hackneyed bandwagon of "ME TOO!"
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #35
Eastcoast
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Disturbing interview on Btalk, where Arum alludes to Pavlik having some personal issues and questions the future of his boxing career.

I'd really like to see him fight Stevenson for the IBF title, Tommy Gun can be his first defense.
Eastcoast is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #36
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast View Post
Disturbing interview on Btalk, where Arum alludes to Pavlik having some personal issues and questions the future of his boxing career.

I'd really like to see him fight Stevenson for the IBF title, Tommy Gun can be his first defense.
Doesn't say much but I wonder if he is turning down fights they think he should accept?
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #37
Tyler-Durden
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast View Post

We all know what his personal issues are.
Tyler-Durden is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #38
raksa
Journeyman

Default Re: Pavlik take a stay busy fight? Update:Arum questions Pavlik's future in boxing?

damn! what a warrior and waste of amazing talent.
raksa is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #39
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372
Default Re: Pavlik take a stay busy fight? Update:Arum questions Pavlik's future in boxing?

Maybe I missed something but why isn't the Bute fight happening?, that's a very winnable fight for Pavlik compared to Ward.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #40
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
Maybe I missed something but why isn't the Bute fight happening?, that's a very winnable fight for Pavlik compared to Ward.
No idea. Someone earlier claimed they heard Pavlik turned down the money. My guess is Bute wanted it in Canada with his refs and judges. This wouldn't be a title fight so it would be up to the commission to appoint them.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #41
Carrera
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Pavlik himself turned the fight down, and it wasn't cause the money or the venue... at first he showed interest in making it happen, and then it all went south supposedly to the point that Bute and his team went wtf? There is no concrete answer as to why he chose not to fight Bute.

This would have been a decent win for Bute, but Pavlik is in a slump I think.
Carrera is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #42
laffie
Montreal
East Side Guru

vCash: 2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
No idea. Someone earlier claimed they heard Pavlik turned down the money. My guess is Bute wanted it in Canada with his refs and judges. This wouldn't be a title fight so it would be up to the commission to appoint them.
Hermit, don't push too far your love for Pavlik.

The fight is not happening because Pavlik is making things go down the drain, again. It is about the fourth time he screws a fights against Bute.

Since Andrade 1, an American referee has always been appointed for his fights in Montreal. At least one judge is also American. Does Pavlik need all officials to be American?

There would be 15 000 people in Montreal. How many for a Pavlik fight in USA?
The fact is Pavlik is the one wanting the fight to be in USA even if he doesn't attract there anymore. He also wants a big purse but where is the money? Has his promoter made an offer to Interbox for a fight in USA? Nope.
laffie is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #43
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffie View Post
There would be 15 000 people in Montreal. How many for a Pavlik fight in USA?
The fact is Pavlik is the one wanting the fight to be in USA even if he doesn't attract there anymore. He also wants a big purse but where is the money? Has his promoter made an offer to Interbox for a fight in USA? Nope.
Yeah this idea that Pavlik remains a big draw in the US has absolutely no evidence behind it. His cancelled fight at Youngstown did not sell out and he's been placed on undercards for his biggest bout since the Martinez fight, hardly a good sign that someone is still a draw on his own.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #44
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

It's probably "much ado about nothing." Arum's very brief comment contained nothing of substance and seemed like one of those meaningless throw away comments that Arum often makes.

On the other hand, we should take KP's position into consideration. Earlier in his career there was a tendency to glorify his back story: "Humble blue collar kid knocks everybody out and becomes champ." The real story is MUCH harsher. The truth is, Kelly Pavlik has been ****ed more times than a $50 street walker.

Right now Pavlik should be half way through training camp in preparation to fight the undisputed super middleweight champ. Instead, he's faced with a choice between Bute or some nobody he knows he'd run right over. Kelly was one of the few people who was not one-bit surprised by Froch's destruction of Bute, and he knows, as well as every honest fan knows, a victory over Bute at this point means nothing. Every journalist and every fan would claim it as proof that Carl ruined Lucian, and that claim would have plenty of merit.

Kelly Pavlik is the recent undisputed middleweight champ with a record of 40 wins and 2 losses with 35 KO's, and 4 straight wins since losing his title. He was supposed to get a shot at Ward. Ward has an injury and can't fight. The WBC title is now vacant, but KP doesn't get the fight??????? Bika and Sgiwoogishagi get the fight; two guys that wouldn't see 8 rounds with Kelly; WTF?????

If Pavlik is disgusted and non-communicative, I, for one, do not blame him.
booradley is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #45
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
If Pavlik is disgusted and non-communicative, I, for one, do not blame him.
His life/career isn't it? Obviously I was 'reading between the lines' on Arums comments which happened to come up as I had this thread running and seemed to mesh. It hasn't been that long, in boxing match making terms, since the Ward cancellation. Seems to be a couple of Canadians here that put forth things as if they have the inside scoop.
Hermit is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum