Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1704
Default Re: Got my ass kicked in sparring by a 13 year old last night!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
A: let them tee off on you and look bad, or B: hit them back with hard shots and look like a dick.
I'm right there .. I'm a light fly weight and gets automatically picked to spar with kids. I don't throw punches at all. Its not good for them. but I don't want me to be seen as some kind of jerk.
freddieMaize is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
You dropped a 13 year old? Disgraceful !!!

There's no excuse for this, it's not hard to pull your punches at all. If you can't you shouldn't be sparring with a 13 year old.
ill drop you too...

i didnt turn it over at all..no power in the shot, he just kind of went...

I sparred him tonight however and got my nose blooded
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #18
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Now don't judge too much. If that 13 y/o were big for his age and were trying to take his head off, it's quite possible a grown man could get careless and drop the kid.
I'm thinking a 13 y/o MIke Tyson probably would have given me a lesson in humility.

Although, I am the smallest person in my team of competitors (140 lbs) and in my 30s, I also get picked automatically to spar with a kid, or a girl. Obviously I work my defence and hold back on the punches, but I can relate to the awkwardness of being that guy. Sometimes, the only options are A: let them tee off on you and look bad, or B: hit them back with hard shots and look like a dick.

he is allot smaller than me..he was trying to take my head off..but not hurting me...i didnt throw it with the intent of hurting him or knocking him down..just let a left hook out...i didnt in any way try to put any force on him...im just 33 and 230 and he is 13 and 120, so when it hit him he went flying back into the ropes and went down.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #19
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
ill drop you too...

i didnt turn it over at all..no power in the shot, he just kind of went...

I sparred him tonight however and got my nose blooded

It sound as though the kid was lucky you didn't get flustered again ...
RichC is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
he is allot smaller than me..he was trying to take my head off..but not hurting me...i didnt throw it with the intent of hurting him or knocking him down..just let a left hook out...i didnt in any way try to put any force on him...im just 33 and 230 and he is 13 and 120, so when it hit him he went flying back into the ropes and went down.

Sounds like the situation I found myself in when I was a young teen. I was boxing and had two sets of 12 oz. gloves at home and one of my older cousins came by for a visit.

He was in his mid 20's, weighed about 250 and stood 6' 4" tall. I, on the other hand, weighed 140, was about 14-15 and stood 5' 9" tall.

Somehow, can't remember the details, we got the gloves on and headed out to the back room of the house that was pretty much an empty one. He let me whack him several times and kept holding back and I was getting a bit ****y. Then he asked me if I was ready and whacked me across the room with a straight right. I came back at him and got a left hook for my efforts that if a wall hadn't been there I might still be flying.

I learned a valuable lesson that day. The old adage about "The bigger they are, the harder they fall" may sometimes apply, but usually it's "The bigger they are, the harder they hit."
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #21
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I actually like working with him....after sparring him i sparred another young fighter we got, he is 22, college football and baseball player who has been boxing for a few years on the side. Not real heavy, like 170. Anyhow, he use to seem fast to me when i spar him, but since sparring this way smaller faster kid his punches look like they are coming in slow motion and i can catch perry or slip and counter shot almost at will.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i will try to get some video and post, than you guys can mock me.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #23
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict

vCash: 314

I've sparred this 17year old girl at my gym a few times. She is pretty good, and not exactly a small girl, buti don't like hitting her, and mostly work on my jab and defense while I'm in there. I nailed her the other day, though...she hit me in my nuts.
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #24
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtony80 View Post
I've sparred this 17year old girl at my gym a few times. She is pretty good, and not exactly a small girl, buti don't like hitting her, and mostly work on my jab and defense while I'm in there. I nailed her the other day, though...she hit me in my nuts.
this little prick hits me in the nuts all the time...but i have on the big heavyduty groin protectors, and it hasnt actually hurt yet.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing