Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Clips of Salido, Garcia Sparring & Training (Media Workout Added)

Just thought I'd post and dig up some old and new videos of each of them sparring, and Mikey's workout clips, and try to learn more about how they're going to match-up on Saturday.

This is a clip from Salido training in August. This is the only clip I could find, but it's a good one. Showcases Salido's defense coming forward and ability to efficiently pressure. It's a bit unnerving how he can inch forward and suddenly be inside. The overhand right he sets up at 1:36 is classic and deadly.

BORKED

This is a clip of Mikey sparring Rios from over a year ago, not sure if it's been posted, but I thought it was important to share because of Mikey's infighting. It seems like Rios is taking it easy and trying to work on certain things, but regardless, Mikey is very active and tight whenever they exchange up close. His movement and offensive variation here is more impressive than anything I've seen from an actual fight, to be honest. To me it suggests what Mikey could be and lets us know he's surely not totally unequipped at close quarters.

BORKED

These are much more recent clips of Mikey training and working the mitts with Robert. It seems their focus is side-stepping and catching Salido on the way in, which is not a bad strategy. Like I said in my other thread, emphasizing the left hook in particular is something to consider.

BORKEDBORKED
BORKED

Post any others you've come across, and discuss

Last edited by Bogotazo; 01-19-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Default Re: Clips of Salido, Garcia Sparring & Training

Both just had a media workout today in New York, hopefully clips will be up soon.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

There are a bunch of other cool pictures of each of them training here:

Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

woot garcia, rootin for him but salido is gonna be a tough test.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

2:04 off the first video with Salido sparring that kid. That's the type of right counter Mikey should keep an eye out for. He needs to feint and have Siri make mistakes while coming forward.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post
2:04 off the first video with Salido sparring that kid. That's the type of right counter Mikey should keep an eye out for. He needs to feint and have Siri make mistakes while coming forward.
Good catch. A counter like that is harder to pull off when you pump out the jab in 2's and 3's and circle, but Mikey throws a lot of single ones. And like you said, feinting is a great way to keep Salido at bay. But I think Mikey also lacks feints as well. He just seems so poker-faced and conservative and would rather spy for clean openings for his powers shots than take risks making them appear. Like I said, such a contrast to the sparring clip against Rios.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Good catch. A counter like that is harder to pull off when you pump out the jab in 2's and 3's and circle, but Mikey throws a lot of single ones. And like you said, feinting is a great way to keep Salido at bay. But I think Mikey also lacks feints as well. He just seems so poker-faced and conservative and would rather spy for clean openings for his powers shots than take risks making them appear. Like I said, such a contrast to the sparring clip against Rios.
Yeah , I didn't take much from the Rios sparring session other than Mikey keeping a good distance.
Salido's shots to the body and hooks while turning his opponent will also stand out next week.
Judging from the Top Rank media, they both seem healthy, but there's still the weight cutting that needs to be done.
Can't wait.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1666

I don't know who to pick in this fight. Thanks for the Rios sparring. I don't think that a product of the Garcia family and gym will be unable to fight on the inside. He likes to fight on the outside as he is a tall dude with big punch but I'm sure that he knows the tricks on the inside. Salido advantage in experience will be a big factor. Did anyone see Salido last fight how did he look???

I haven't seen any footage from the Salido camp but Garcia looks really good and strong. I think that Salido had huge success against JuanMa partially because JuanMa was just unable to take his punch. If Mikey takes it well and manages to impose his fight he is going to win a close but clear UD or if he lands some big right by a KO possibly.
Leonit is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1124

Salido looks sharp

Rios taking it easy on Garcia
bronx is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 3583

Salido is absolutely shredded & looks better than ever.
I hope Mikey is at his best or else this fight will be bad.

My prediction is a "classic"
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatesrats View Post
Salido is absolutely shredded & looks better than ever.
I hope Mikey is at his best or else this fight will be bad.

My prediction is a "classic"

my prediction

Garcia amazingly makes it look easy TKO 10
bronx is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonit View Post
I don't know who to pick in this fight. Thanks for the Rios sparring. I don't think that a product of the Garcia family and gym will be unable to fight on the inside. He likes to fight on the outside as he is a tall dude with big punch but I'm sure that he knows the tricks on the inside. Salido advantage in experience will be a big factor. Did anyone see Salido last fight how did he look???

I haven't seen any footage from the Salido camp but Garcia looks really good and strong. I think that Salido had huge success against JuanMa partially because JuanMa was just unable to take his punch. If Mikey takes it well and manages to impose his fight he is going to win a close but clear UD or if he lands some big right by a KO possibly.
Looked very good. Sharp, destructive, and defensively responsible coming forward.

BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

thanks he looked good indeed. A bit tired by the 3rd??
Leonit is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
thanks he looked good indeed. A bit tired by the 3rd??
To me it just seemed like he was taking breaks and working on fighting at a distance. Though the pace in the first rounds was pretty intense.

There were flashes in that last fight of how to beat Salido; jump in with flurries to momentarily back him up and change the angle constantly. But that defines Gamboa's style, and even he had to tough it out. Just finished re-watching that fight, competitive through all 12 rounds.

Salido's left to the body seems a mile long.

It's also interesting that no matter where he is in the ring, Salido seems so huge and imposing to me. He controls the center of a ring effortlessly. Just a few steps following you along the perimeter and he's back in his punching range like he never left.

Here's Dwyer's prediction:

BORKED
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #14
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

The left is long but very hard so it's not so easy to counter it. I guess you have to be ready to take it in order to counter it. If Mikey can hurt him with the right counter the fight is his for the taking. I'm sure that Garcia teem had seen something in order to take such a strong challenge.
Leonit is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #15
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
The left is long but very hard so it's not so easy to counter it. I guess you have to be ready to take it in order to counter it. If Mikey can hurt him with the right counter the fight is his for the taking. I'm sure that Garcia teem had seen something in order to take such a strong challenge.
We'll see. I think Garcia's best bet is to sidestep and throw a left hook as Salido loops his right. But even then, there's no guarantee Salido stays down or loses focus. The sparring clip aside, the more I watch their fights, the more I favor Salido.
Bogotazo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum