Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

I dont think it was a dive, against Ali Liston had a habit of really lunging and leaning way forward to try to land his jab against Ali and i think the punch Ali landed didnt hurt Liston it was just enough to push him and a bit of a flash knockdown that pushed him that tiny bit extra off balance and cause him to fall, Liston said that he was on the floor waiting for Walcott to start the count because he was afraid of Ali and thought Ali was going to bite him when he stood up and just stayed down waiting for the count and for Ali to move, thats why i think he was on his knees at the start and then rolled over cause Ali was over him and then you can see in his eyes he was fine getting up and then he saw Ali running around the ring and when Ali started running behind him where he couldnt see Ali he rolled over again, and also in that famous picture Liston was just flat on his back with his hands up like he was being arrested, they werent on the floor flat like he was hurt or knocked out they were just above the ground, i think he was just deathly afraid of Ali and thought he was actually crazy

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,938
vCash: 500
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
I dont think it was a dive, against Ali Liston had a habit of really lunging and leaning way forward to try to land his jab against Ali and i think the punch Ali landed didnt hurt Liston it was just enough to push him and a bit of a flash knockdown that pushed him that tiny bit extra off balance and cause him to fall, Liston said that he was on the floor waiting for Walcott to start the count because he was afraid of Ali and thought Ali was going to bite him when he stood up and just stayed down waiting for the count and for Ali to move, thats why i think he was on his knees at the start and then rolled over cause Ali was over him and then you can see in his eyes he was fine getting up and then he saw Ali running around the ring and when Ali started running behind him where he couldnt see Ali he rolled over again, and also in that famous picture Liston was just flat on his back with his hands up like he was being arrested, they werent on the floor flat like he was hurt or knocked out they were just above the ground, i think he was just deathly afraid of Ali and thought he was actually crazy

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Your contradicting yourself on this one!..of course it was a dive..you really expect us to believe Liston was pushed down or that it was a flash knockdown?..Then why didnt he get his big ass back up?
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,938
vCash: 500
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

And I wonder where you got the idea for this thread!?...
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

LOTS of evidence it was no dive:

1) Listons legs twitch while he lay on the canvas.
2) Minutes after the fight was stopped and crowds are pouring in the ring Liston does a studder step to one side.
3) Listons trainers alone with Liston in his dressing room after the fight stated that Liston asked for smelling salts.
4) No evidence was ever found that a fix indeed occurred.
5) Liston was hit on the chin while stepping foreword thus increasing the punches power.
6) Listons lead foot was lifted off the canvas from the force of Ali's blow.
7) Liston trained like a demon for the fight. You don't get into that great of shape knowing its a fix.
Those at ringside who actually saw the punch stated it was a true KO..Torres, Patterson, Damato among others.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

I doubt a nearly 50 year old mystery will be solved here.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Your contradicting yourself on this one!..of course it was a dive..you really expect us to believe Liston was pushed down or that it was a flash knockdown?..Then why didnt he get his big ass back up?
I actually say why he didnt get up... you gotta read it fully man
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,143
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

Was just discussing this in another forum tonight. The circumstances around this fight stunk to high hell which is why it ended up in a rinky dink auditorium in Lewiston, Maine, not New York or even Miami. There was a belief that is was to be a dirty fight so when an odd outcome occured it seemed to fulfill that belief.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
I doubt a nearly 50 year old mystery will be solved here.
Im putting in my opinion i didnt write this is what happened im 100% certain if you dont believe me your wrong...
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,729
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

I just want McGrain to know that I held back, here. Hard. I don't know if you've ever tried to not sneeze, but imagine that feeling has lasted throughout an entire cold.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

Haha what the hell just noticed the beaver
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #11
Kiwi Kid
The Sweet Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
LOTS of evidence it was no dive:

1) Listons legs twitch while he lay on the canvas.
2) Minutes after the fight was stopped and crowds are pouring in the ring Liston does a studder step to one side.
3) Listons trainers alone with Liston in his dressing room after the fight stated that Liston asked for smelling salts.
4) No evidence was ever found that a fix indeed occurred.
5) Liston was hit on the chin while stepping foreword thus increasing the punches power.
6) Listons lead foot was lifted off the canvas from the force of Ali's blow.
7) Liston trained like a demon for the fight. You don't get into that great of shape knowing its a fix.
Those at ringside who actually saw the punch stated it was a true KO..Torres, Patterson, Damato among others.
Also Liston said the real reason he didn't get up in time is because Jersey Joe never gave him a count (as he was too busy trying to put Ali in a neutral corner) so Liston never knew that he had been counted out. When Jersey Joe went to the time keeper to ask what the count was, Liston and Ali carried on fighting, then Jersey Joe eventually stopped them after finding out the count had reached 10
(However, I believe Patterson disputed the KO, as he believed Liston could not of been knocked out by that punch as he claimed that Ali didn't hit that hard)
Kiwi Kid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #12
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Kid View Post
Also Liston said the real reason he didn't get up in time is because Jersey Joe never gave him a count (as he was too busy trying to put Ali in a neutral corner) so Liston never knew that he had been counted out. When Jersey Joe went to the time keeper to ask what the count was, Liston and Ali carried on fighting, then Jersey Joe eventually stopped them after finding out the count had reached 10
(However, I believe Patterson disputed the KO, as he believed Liston could not of been knocked out by that punch as he claimed that Ali didn't hit that hard)
Also Listons head movement ect was very good when he got up he was ducking punches ect
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #13
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,212
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

The knockdown was genuine. No matter what bullshit conspiracy theorists claim. After that,Liston was intimidated. Pure and simple.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,069
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
thought Ali was going to bite him
superb
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Default Re: Real Reason for Ali Liston 2 ? Not a dive?

From Sports Illustrated written right after the fight in 1965:

For the few qualified observers who had a clear view of the knockout punch, there was no doubt about its power. Immediately after it landed, Floyd Patterson, seated at ringside in the most advantageous position to see the blow, said, in answer to a direct question: "It was a perfect right hand." Jose Torres, the light heavyweight champion, agreed. "A very strong right hand," he said. Indeed, for all those who had a good view of the punch—and, unfortunately, there could not have been more than 1,200—there was never any doubt as to the stunning power of the blow. it was perfectly delivered against an opponent who was moving toward it, so that the effect was of a head-on collision.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013