Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Where do you think Cain's talent and work ethic will take him?
Potential HW GOAT 5 19.23%
Never ranked above Fedor, but can surpass Nog for #2 4 15.38%
Don't think he'll ever surpass either Nog or Fedor. 12 46.15%
Too chinny, other currently active HWs will surpass him 3 11.54%
Don't rate him as much better than "very good" tbh 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #31
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Re: Do you think that Cain's legacy will eventually surpass Cro Cop, Nog or *gasp* Fe

I don't know how to use the search function but can someone bump the threads where people were saying the same about JDS.

Also I haven't really been on much for a while, Cormier against Jon Jones??? what the ****
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #32
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1218
Default Re: Do you think that Cain's legacy will eventually surpass Cro Cop, Nog or *gasp* Fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb_forrest_g View Post
He needs more big fights and he also needs to show he can defend his belt and stay amon the top for a good period of time. Like Fedor he was at the top for years, dominated each and everyone he got into the ring with. Cain is certainly on the way, but i wanna see him and overeem squad.
If by dominated you mean won against then yes. But dominated in how we typically think of it? Then no. Just... no.
James23 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #33
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Cain seems to be traversing the same route as GSP.

Win the title, look like a long-time champion due to physical assets. Get stopped badly in a routine defense. Win back the title in a dominant fashion.

So far the only thing Cain left is clean the weightclass like GSP.

Look at where GSP is now, already rank as an ATG in MMA.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 02:34 AM   #34
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarShane_24 View Post
Cain seems to be traversing the same route as GSP.

Win the title, look like a long-time champion due to physical assets. Get stopped badly in a routine defense. Win back the title in a dominant fashion.

So far the only thing Cain left is clean the weightclass like GSP.

Look at where GSP is now, already rank as an ATG in MMA.

I've always seen this sort of resemblance, myself. I agree 110 percent.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #35
benebox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

I think Reem will beat him in the next fight so no.
benebox is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #36
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

This is a new era of heavies but they need to eliminate the contenders then each other. Reem, Cain, JDS and whoever else wants to join in need to continue to eliminate Carwin, Nelson, Silva, Browne etc and then proceed to beat each other.

CC, Nog, Barnett and Fedor were the Fab 4 because they pretty much beat everyone else and then went to town on each other. Fedor bested that lot, Nog came second, CC third and Barnett last.

This is just the start. JDS showed incredible form, Cain came back in sensational fashion to expose JDS fitness, JDS must now come back from that but Reem must also make his mark.

There is a long way to go in this era.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #37
kokoko
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Someone needs to rise above the other heavyweights of the current era to be considered as a better ATG than Fedor was. The person who is going to dethrone Fedor needs to distinguish himself in the current heavyweight division. Is this possible, yes. Is it it probable, I doubt it. I would guess that it will be hard for any heavyweight to get a streak of wins going: 3-4 because there are just too many good HW's in the UFC. I could be wrong, but in the Heavyweight division, the belt will probably be passed back and forth every year.

If Cain would beat Overeem and JDS again, and then hold the belt for two years, I would rank him as high(er) than Fedor. I already seem him as being as good as Crocop.

Also, I think that if Fedor were fighting with the current Heavyweights, the huge ones that are talented everywhere, he would not do as well as he did when he was fighting in his own era. There is a good chance that he would still get the title, but less of a chance that he would hold onto to it for a prolonged period of time.

Last edited by kokoko; 01-17-2013 at 05:27 PM.
kokoko is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #38
Hoshi
bigboi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2419

He'd need the guys he dominates to go on and pack out their resumes imo.

People seem to think Fedor's wins over Nogueira are good but not unsurpassable. Here's the thing though... the man he dominated twice went and beat every available hw in his prime. Avenging two sd losses with a ud and a sub. Kharitonov, Barnett, Filipovic, Werdum, Coleman, Rodriguez... these are very impressive wins, especially as he got to them before Fedor also.

He'd need JDS to go on a hell of a streak to show the value of his win.

Last edited by Hoshi; 01-18-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Hoshi is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #39
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

There's no doubt in my mind that Nogueira was the best ''gatekeeper'' in MMA. This should be taken into consideration when glancing Fedor's record.

Add to the mix Cro Cop and Barnett too...

Similar situation is developing now, JDS has beaten better competition than Cain so far. Obvious difference being they are now 1-1, as opposed to 2-0-1

Cains next challenger isnt clear yet. If JDS beats Cormier/Reem, then loses again to Cain, who has the better resume? Is it a case of a bad style match up, or is it clear that Cain/JDS & Fedor/Nog is the superior fighter whilst, arguably, facing the weaker competition. It's quite conceivable Dan will decided to drop down if he gets past Mir and I think Reem v JDS is a no brainer comeback fight for the UFC to make

Long story short, Nog's resume is as deep as anyones in MMA and a good case for the strongest along with Hendo, GSP ect. Lets not lose sight of that. Maybe the argument is could Fedor have beaten the guys Nog did that he didnt face...
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum