Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
david619

vCash: 500
Default boxing gym question

I just had my first day at a boxing gym, just did exercises and learned the stance and all. I was wondering how long were attending the gym when you first sparred? I don't really want to but im gonna do it and was just wondering how long before they make you spar.
david619 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict

vCash: 314
Default Re: boxing gym question

Some coaches throw you in there right away, some wait until they think you're ready. Once you're in there, some of the experienced guys will go easy on you because they know you're new, some will go to town on you.

I just started a new gym. I have off and on boxing experience. I step slightly to the left, short right hand to the face'd the shit out of someone who thought I didn't know what I was doing they other day...
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david619 View Post
I just had my first day at a boxing gym, just did exercises and learned the stance and all. I was wondering how long were attending the gym when you first sparred? I don't really want to but im gonna do it and was just wondering how long before they make you spar.
Every club is different, however I like to put lads in the ring as soon as possible. Usually within a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't class it as "sparring" though. I put them in with one of the more experienced lads (or I get in with them myself) who I know for sure won't hurt the new guy. I like to think of it more as an experience that give the new lad a point of reference for future training. For example, the new guy gets to see first hand the importance of range, not telegraphing punches, ensuring the feet are correct, balance etc. The main idea is to let them enjoy it, whilst giving them a feel for being in the ring and improving confidence.

They can then go away and think about the session and direct their own training around getting round some of the "problems" they had during these "sparring" sessions. I feel this just helps the new guy understand what we are trying to teach a little better.

It's usually 3-6 months before I am happy to let 2 evenly matched novices open spar properly using a bit of power (depending on the person / how often they have been training etc). Only when I know both lads have some understanding of how to defend themselves. Before this stage, they will have usually done plenty of "condition" sparring with other novices i.e. Jabs only, Left hand only, Left hand to head or body and right hands to body only etc with no power.
RichC is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Honestly its different for each individual... when you feel you are ready is the time to get in. I personally got in there as fast as I could, but i know plenty of people who are in the gym 6 months to a year before they get in there if they ever do
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

DONT do what i did, i got in there and didnt know how to do anything at all and realised when we touched gloves... learn as much as you can, especially ways to block/dodge the jab and proper defense and watch and dissect as much fight film as you can
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Every club is different, however I like to put lads in the ring as soon as possible. Usually within a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't class it as "sparring" though. I put them in with one of the more experienced lads (or I get in with them myself) who I know for sure won't hurt the new guy. I like to think of it more as an experience that give the new lad a point of reference for future training. For example, the new guy gets to see first hand the importance of range, not telegraphing punches, ensuring the feet are correct, balance etc. The main idea is to let them enjoy it, whilst giving them a feel for being in the ring and improving confidence.

They can then go away and think about the session and direct their own training around getting round some of the "problems" they had during these "sparring" sessions. I feel this just helps the new guy understand what we are trying to teach a little better.

It's usually 3-6 months before I am happy to let 2 evenly matched novices open spar properly using a bit of power (depending on the person / how often they have been training etc). Only when I know both lads have some understanding of how to defend themselves. Before this stage, they will have usually done plenty of "condition" sparring with other novices i.e. Jabs only, Left hand only, Left hand to head or body and right hands to body only etc with no power.
That is dead on. Once you get in the ring and move around a bit, you'll know what you are trying to learn while you are hitting the heavy bag. It gives purpose to everything that you wouldn't have otherwise.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
david619

Thanks for all the replies, I go to the beginner class which is from 4 to 5:30 then the advance class starts all the way till 7:30, do you think they spar in the beginners class too or just the advance? I heard one of the advance dudes saying he was sparring the assistant trainer, and that he hits real hard, hes only been going a month!
david619 is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
1lifeliveit

vCash: 688

Every gym is completely different.
You get some gyms where the coaches well thats if you can call them coaches dont have a clue and will try and throw you in for sparring against anyone.
In the gyms I've been in it has been within the first month, Has not been full on sparring but more tech sparring just helping you get used to throwing punches an opponent learning to use ring and learning how to create angles and cutting off the ring as well as defence, getting you used to have someone throwing punches at you.
After your comfortable with that and starting to progress then sparring will start to progress
1lifeliveit is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
twinwonw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

Depends on the gym you go to and how fast you pick up the fundamentals and etc.

For my gym when I first started training there, only things I learned in first few weeks were pretty much all fundamentals.

I learned stuff like jab, foot work, blocking, head movement, then we would combine them all later to do some drills with it. After I've learned the most of the fundamentals which was about a month, my coach let me spar for first time.
twinwonw is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

My boxers spar maybe 14 rounds a week from about the third or fourth week of training. It's about restraint.
brown bomber is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing