Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: When you look at Ricky Burns' K.O% you would think he couldn't K.O a fly, so..?

I think it depends on how hard Burns chooses to hit personally. Against Mitchell he was saying after only the second round to Billy in the corner "I'm getting through" and realised that his punches were having on effect on Mitchell so he stepped it up and started to plant his feet.

Against Katsidis and Martinez he hardly threw a single shot that had what I would call bad intentions. He just threw clipping, scoring shots, but with no real venom in them. It's like he had accepted that he probably wasn't going to KO either of them and realised that their punches may hurt him more than the other way around so he just landed the quick point scoring shots rather than the heavy punches.

He definitely hits harder at LW though and if he gets through with a few against Vazquez who is to say he won't follow up and maybe finish him off!
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: When you look at Ricky Burns' K.O% you would think he couldn't K.O a fly, so..?

He's not feather fisted but his power is average.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
Against Katsidis and Martinez he hardly threw a single shot that had what I would call bad intentions.
and even then he still hurt both guys on occasion, Katsidis to the body then head, and he sent Martinez wobbling back to his corner after one sustained attack
BlackBrenny is online now  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
Rabbie1980
Contender
ESB Jr Member

I'm not being unfair in saying that he does not have one punch knock out power.

He is a combination puncher. and nobody can say his combinations, when they land, lack power.

I think he could take down anyone with a good 3 or 4 punches, landed on the button.
Rabbie1980 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
Amazing one

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
He's a really big lad there was nothing between us size wise when I was 10stone and I was big for the weight... How he got to 9/4 ill never know.

I think he's changed a lot since the early days, he's matured and I've never seen anyone graft like him in the gym. Billy's done a great job bringing him back- that's not to say his original gym has nothing to with his success - they set the foundations but sometimes a change is as good as a rest and the change to Billy Nelson proved a great move for him.
I'd love to know your thoughts on this match up with Vasquez?
Amazing one is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
Robert
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Cant you answer that yourself Robert?
Hes went from losing the British title twice, to an undefeated commonwealth and two weight world champion since hes changed his style,self explanitory really isnt it robert
defo he is different fighter but its just good hear other people opinions on things, what would you say is the biggest change you have made in his style, he seems to be fighter whom can raise his level to the quality of fighter he is fighting. Do you if they will be fighting for the ring title?
Robert is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
nick_1204
Lil Floyd
ESB Full Member

Its more to tdo with styles you fight at.

Ricky is a big guy and i bet he hits just as hard as some of the harder hitting lightweights. But its about how you fight.

I dont think he needs to be a ko artist. He is big and strong at the weight which should make up for that. He should be able to push opponents back and use his strengths
nick_1204 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

He's no Nigel Benn, that's for sure.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
He's no Nigel Benn, that's for sure.
Neither was Pernell Whittaker,but he managed just fine.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #25
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Burns has not always been a top fighter, thus you cannot assess his ability on his whole career but since he has become a top fighter. He is currently in form and you must base him off of this i.e. the durability of the people he has fought, how many people he has stopped etc
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562

A few things that count against Burns when rating his power is that he doesnt sit down on his punches that often, his gmaeplan usually involves outboxing his opponent rather than taking their head off. I think his power is average even if his record doesnt suggest it, he certainly got Martinez's and Katsidis' respect. Loading up on punches is just not the way he gets things done, that said his jab is quite underated, i rank it amongst the best in the world at the moment.
DOM5153 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #27
SuspiciousChees
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Katsidis was there to be stopped. Marquez did it, Guerrero could have done if he went for it.
SuspiciousChees is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #28
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Burns has not always been a top fighter, thus you cannot assess his ability on his whole career but since he has become a top fighter. He is currently in form and you must base him off of this i.e. the durability of the people he has fought, how many people he has stopped etc
Perfectly put Achilles.Even three years ago,99% of fans would've scoffed at the suggestion he'd be competing for the top spot at 135.
Now he's the most improved fighter in Europe and should really be judged from Martinez onwards.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 AM   #29
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Ricky isnt a one punch ko artist but what he is improving on weekly is his timing and shot selection added to the volume of punches he throws the LW are in big trouble
billy nelson is online now  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #30
PUG
Everyday Is LIke Sunday
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5-9 View Post
Countdown until Billy comes into this thread and tells us he is the hardest hitting puncher ever in 5, 4, 3 . . . . ..
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
PUG is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum