Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Brutal Dempsey sparring Knockout in slow motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic Decay View Post
Why go overkill on a middleweight, seems real ****ing stupid.
I'll try to find out who that is. I remember someone posted a great copy of the vid on here a long time ago.

I think guys knew the lay of the land with Dempsey. It was no secret he beat the hell out of his sparring partners... Unless their name was Harry Greb... And as champ and the guy payijg the bills, that was his prerogative.

Last edited by Seamus; 01-17-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Seamus is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic Decay View Post
Why go overkill on a middleweight, seems real ****ing stupid.

It's not stupid for him its his life, if you were 16 and riding through hobo towns and while sleeping having to worry about the homo***ual hobos there were back then trying to rape you and having to fight them off to not get raped or killed after not eating for days then maybe you'd spar like that as well buddy he was programmed that way fighting to him was just his way of living, i bet sparring or just any fighting brought back that feeling and natural instinct he had when he was in that place in his life and thats why he was so vicious no matter who it was middleweight or not, its either him or the other guy hes fighting and he wanted it to be him winning very badly
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Sir, I am one of your oldtime"nutbags " as you describe people like myself who know aeons more than you and should be shown some respect as YOU TOO will get older...You sir, know zilch about boxing, but spout insults to a group of posters who have done you no harm...So brave of you to insult a group of people from afar...So BRAVE !
I agree you know a lot more about boxing than he or most of us younger guys do, why not learn things from you guys who know more about the sport than we do rather than insulting them?...
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #19
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Sir, I am one of your oldtime"nutbags " as you describe people like myself who know aeons more than you and should be shown some respect as YOU TOO will get older...You sir, know zilch about boxing, but spout insults to a group of posters who have done you no harm...So brave of you to insult a group of people from afar...So BRAVE !
Oh cut the crap with your righteous indignation, Burt. I said "old time nutbags" as in fans of the old time fighters, not literally old people. I know that many of these old time nutbags are far from old.
rusak is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
I didnt know 27 made me an old time nutbag i guess im in my final years... If those small gloves were the reason for his knockouts and punching power then why wasnt every 180-190 pounder from that era a Dempsey like puncher that was knocking everybody out
They probably fought better competition than Dempsey did.
rusak is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
It's not stupid for him its his life, if you were 16 and riding through hobo towns and while sleeping having to worry about the homo***ual hobos there were back then trying to rape you and having to fight them off to not get raped or killed after not eating for days then maybe you'd spar like that as well buddy he was programmed that way fighting to him was just his way of living, i bet sparring or just any fighting brought back that feeling and natural instinct he had when he was in that place in his life and thats why he was so vicious no matter who it was middleweight or not, its either him or the other guy hes fighting and he wanted it to be him winning very badly

I only ever sit down on my punches in sparring if i feel the other fighter is trying to hit me with power. I think it's bullying to start loading up against an outsized middleweight. But i do know fighters that go in to alamo mode every single time they spar regardless of any other criteria. So it's hardly unusual.

As you say it might have been the surprise *** hobo gangbangs that twisted jacks mind that way, everything was a fight to him, maybe he got married young and became cynical, who truly knows.
Synthetic Decay is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
Oh cut the crap with your righteous indignation, Burt. I said "old time nutbags" as in fans of the old time fighters, not literally old people. I know that many of these old time nutbags are far from old.
R, you are always in an attack mode. To tar people who have seen the "oldtime" fighters and call us nutbags, is something I cannot disregard,
and to accuse me of righteous indignation for defending our viewpoints
shows me you love to "dish it out", as long as we "nutbags" don't fight back...Remember words have meanings....
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #23
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
R, you are always in an attack mode. To tar people who have seen the "oldtime" fighters and call us nutbags, is something I cannot disregard,
and to accuse me of righteous indignation for defending our viewpoints
shows me you love to "dish it out", as long as we "nutbags" don't fight back...Remember words have meanings....

Where theres some shit...theres Burt!..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #24
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

That guy is clearly a good 30 pounds smaller than Dempsey.

And for the record Ive never been convinced that Burt is actually and old "old time nutbag."

How many 80+ year olds do you guys know who troll the internet on boxing forums?
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #25
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Yeah, that poor welterweight.
Even sparring partners were cherry picked.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
Dempsey's power is laughably overrated. Dempsey wore, what, 5 ounce gloves for most of his fights? That's little more than a piece of tape and leather around your fist. These old time nutbags on here keep comparing him to guys who wore much larger gloves as if it didn't matter.
were the gloves any bigger by the time of Louis?
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #27
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
At 5:45 and then the slow motion afterwards, just jerks this guys head way out, For anyone saying Dempseys not a one punch knockout artist watch this.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
That is one big punch by any measure.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #28
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

I don't see what that video proves other than that Dempsey could knock a smaller man down if he landed flush on their jaw. It's hardly incontrovertible proof that he was a genuine one punch knockout artist in the manner of Tyson, Lewis, Wlad etc. All these men knocked durable tough heavyweights unconscious at one time or another.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #29
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Dempsey has plenty of first round knock outs...enough that it seems to suggest he was a pretty big hitter.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #30
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Dempsey has plenty of first round knock outs...enough that it seems to suggest he was a pretty big hitter.
So did Shannon Briggs.
Absolutely! is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum