Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #76
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664
Default Re: Khan senchenko being negotiated for april 20 at 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.KEYS. View Post
I'm not saying Senchenko is that bad a fight, I just don't get the weight jumping. You say it's only 7 pounds, but Khan's been dropped by super featherweights, knocked out at lightweight and at light welter, so given the nature of his punch resistance a move upto welter just doesn't seem a clever move. I guess you could argue moving up might help his chin, but that hasn't happened so far in his career.
The reason he gets knocked over isn't his fragile chin per se, its his complete lack of defence. If he doesn't get hit then he doesn't go down, its pretty simple really, a fundamental of the game that he hasn't come to grips with yet.
icemax is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #77
Jim Bowen
MARVELOUS
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I agree Mand, but even when we all pretty much consider Amir a level above, the fella does make silly mistakes and I'd like to see how he deals with someone this time around who is taller than him, plus another training camp shall hopefully help him a little before fighting the bigger men.

It's more of a benefit from a promotional stand point, like you say.

Yep, I'd like to see him fight Lopez ideally afterwards.

People only really moan about British fighters round these parts, rightly or wrongly you should have noticed this by now.
Jim Bowen is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #78
L.J.KEYS.
C♯ Sharp or B♭ Flat
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
The reason he gets knocked over isn't his fragile chin per se, its his complete lack of defence. If he doesn't get hit then he doesn't go down, its pretty simple really, a fundamental of the game that he hasn't come to grips with yet.
EDIT: read ur post wrong. I agree, Khan's ring IQ is the worst I've ever seen at that level. He seems to think he can just overwhelm everyone with his speed with no thought of what's coming back. Was interesting watching the Molina fight, Hunter was screaming at Khan for every second of every round. Seems he's realised that's what Khan needs.

Last edited by L.J.KEYS.; 01-18-2013 at 05:29 AM.
L.J.KEYS. is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #79
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

Quote:
EDIT: read ur post wrong. I agree, Khan's ring IQ is the worst I've ever seen at that level. He seems to think he can just overwhelm everyone with his speed with no thought of what's coming back. Was interesting watching the Molina fight, Hunter was screaming at Khan for every second of every round. Seems he's realised that's what Khan needs.
I'm not one of those who says that you cant learn ring smarts, even at this stage of his career. He has the physical aptitude, he has the heart undoubtedly but I just don't know if he's clever enough to take instructions in and execute in the ring for 12 rounds.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #80
L.J.KEYS.
C♯ Sharp or B♭ Flat
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I'm not one of those who says that you cant learn ring smarts, even at this stage of his career. He has the physical aptitude, he has the heart undoubtedly but I just don't know if he's clever enough to take instructions in and execute in the ring for 12 rounds.
I think if he's more humble he could actually learn. Moving to Hunter might be what was needed to change his perception of himself as a boxer. With Roach it all got a bit Hollywood and it looked to me like he enjoyed all the things that came with being a famous boxer, more than actually being a boxer - forgetting what got him there in the first place. It's only natural he's a 26 year old bloke.

I want to see Khan do well cos I'll back anyone from Britain, but he's so frustrating to watch sometimes. He seemed to learn a lesson after Prescott and went back to basics, then got ****y and had to learn the same lesson twice with Garcia. Hopefully that's the last time he has to learn that lesson and adjusts accordingly.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #81
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

I'd sit him in a chair, tape his eyes open and make him watch Sweet P 24/7. He isn't and never will be within a country mile of the great man either physically or skillswise but something might just sink in. We never really knew how good Whitakers chin was because we never really saw it tested when he was in his pomp.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #82
L.J.KEYS.
C♯ Sharp or B♭ Flat
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I'd sit him in a chair, tape his eyes open and make him watch Sweet P 24/7. He isn't and never will be within a country mile of the great man either physically or skillswise but something might just sink in. We never really knew how good Whitakers chin was because we never really saw it tested when he was in his pomp.
haha could u imagine Khan imitating Whitaker?? I'd pay to see that, even just a clip in sparring.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #83
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

Quote:
haha could u imagine Khan imitating Whitaker?? I'd pay to see that, even just a clip in sparring.
He actually pulled a real sweet Sweet P move getting off the ropes against Kotelnyk
icemax is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #84
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't understand why people are taking this apparent fight so seriously. Khan and Hunter have both said over and over and over again that he is staying at 140 and that they'll clean up that division before moving up. Fighting at 147 against Senchenko is not going to happen and if it did Khan would win anyway.

If I were Hunter I wouldn't have a problem putting him in with Peterson or Garcia either, they're easily beatable fighters with limited skills, Khan SHOULD be beating them both he just boxed like a wally against both of them previously. I'd keep him away from Matthyse for the time being but if he wants to get back into the mix he's not going to do it fighting guys like Molina. In a way Khan is one to be avoided now, he's lost 3 times and won't bring much credit for a victory but is also talented and has shown that he can box when he wants to and I think Peterson and Garcia both know they stand a hefty chance of losing in a rematch is he boxes smart.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #85
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Then see Amir coming out fighting real low and prancing around the ring . He's just a delusional sort of lad, He's never going to full accept he's not the fighter he wanted to be. Still had a good career but the hype got to lads head i think in early days.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #86
PUG
Everyday Is LIke Sunday
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Then see Amir coming out fighting real low and prancing around the ring . He's just a delusional sort of lad, He's never going to full accept he's not the fighter he wanted to be. Still had a good career but the hype got to lads head i think in early days.
CHB ALERT!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
PUG is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #87
tmsbry
ESB Addict

vCash: 14400

Lamont Peterson still has a world title at 140, that should be the fight Khan is going after, if he wins that title a unification with Garcia/Judah would be inevitable
tmsbry is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #88
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Fully agreed, he is the epitome of the over protected fighter that got ideas above his station because he was fed cherry picked blown up super feathers for so long he thought he was the second coming of Sugar Ray Robinson.

I remember when he start working with Jorge Rubio and they selected Prescott he promptly knocked him out in less than a minute. Everyone was furious with him for putting Khan in with Prescott and they were all saying what a bad choice it was and that Rubio should have done his home work. Yet Prescott is a limited below world level fighter that a future star should be handily beating, especially at home.

Khan needs to realise he simply can't take a full blooded shot landing flush and adapt his game like Wlad has done to make sure he doesn't get hit. If he keeps trying to fight like Pacman he will end up like Pacman did in his last fight with Marquez every time he steps up the opposition!
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #89
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Withstanding a full blooded shot or not is nothing to do with that knockout.

Ask Alvarado, he said himself that Prescott was the hardest puncher he faced. He dropped Miguel Vasquez with a jab, it's just that his power fades late on. Amir, was one, not only very drained, he was pretty much caught cold with over 6 consecutive full blows to the head.

You can be as limited as a guy who's never boxed, but if they can land a punch you don't see, then you'll know about it.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #90
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bowen View Post
People only really moan about British fighters round these parts, rightly or wrongly you should have noticed this by now.
I have, mate. It seems a popular thing to do, even though I don't understand the actual gain of it.
Lazarus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum