Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #31
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Who Was The Greater Fighter Salvador Sanchez or Ruben Olivares

Talk to me about Yory Boy Campas. Why would he get the nod over someone like, I don't know, Carlos Zarate or Vicente Saldivar? It's rare I see him among the top 10 of any ATG Mexican list.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #32
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

You see the one inch punch he dropped Trinidad with? That should put him at no.1 alone. But not fighting Lennox Lewis let's him down.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
You see the one inch punch he dropped Trinidad with? That should put him at no.1 alone. But not fighting Lennox Lewis let's him down.
He did also beat a man by the name of Cassius Clay.

Warranted inclusion.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #34
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Wow!

In all seriousness I'd take Saldivar as 4th and Canto 5th. After that? Not in that serious a mood today I'm afraid.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #35
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Wow!

In all seriousness I'd take Saldivar as 4th and Canto 5th. After that? Not in that serious a mood today I'm afraid.
My list wouldn't be too dissimilar.

1. Marco Antonio Barrera

2. Erik Morales
3. Julio Cesar Chavez
4. Ruben Olivares
5. Enrique Sanchez
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #36
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I hate ranking JMM though.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #37
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Sanchez' best wins were better, but Ruben had the overall deeper resume. Ruben was incosistent while Sal was very disciplined, but at thier very best i have to say Ruben was the better fighter with the superior skill set IMO.

I gotta go with El Puas, just barely tho...i have them at #2 (Olivares) and #3 (Sanchez) in my Mexican ATG list, Julio being #1 of course.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #38
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Wow!

Exactly how i have it!
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #39
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I think Sanchez's great wins are rather thin, Gomez coming up in weight Lopez dynamite puncher who could be outboxed without too much trouble, one dimensional Laporte, novice Nelson,and a split dec over Cowdell. If Olivares had stayed in the shape Sanchez was always in ,this thread would not even be viable imo.

79 kos in 89 wins?
While I agree Lopez was made for Sanchez, it only took one punch for Lopez to turn around a fight, and more often than not he did. Those Sanchez - Lopez fights were superb masterclass efforts.
One dimensional Laporte is a guy Pedroza (apparently in his mind) had to cheat to beat. Sanchez handled him relatively easily. (Fair play - Pedroza handled Patrick Ford more easily than Sanchez did).
Gomez was the clear favorite coming in against Sanchez and deemed to be nearly unbeatable. Sanchez destroyed him. Subsequent fights revealed Gomez to not be the same fighter at 126, but what did his destruction at the hands of Sanchez take out of him?
I honestly don't think any version of Nelson beats Sanchez. He was always wide with his punches and that wasn't going to fly against Sanchez. He was a good boxer but I do not believe he had the agility to box with Sanchez. I just don't think a more mature Nelson makes much difference with Sanchez.
The Cowdell fight is sketchy for Sanchez. Certain styles did trouble him a bit more but he always pulled them out.

Having said all that, I don't have a problem with Olivares being ranked higher. Sanchez did enough in his short time but probably does benefit a little from nobody having seen him past peak. So I think in this instance it's fair to evaluate Olivares before all the inconsistency came into play.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #40
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Laporte was anything but one dimensional. A lazy, inconsistent bastard, yeah, but he was still a very talented, well rounded boxer-puncher. Sanchez vs Laporte from memory was a very good fight and pretty competitive despite Laporte being quite green at the time imo. Pedroza took on the harder, more experienced version who was coming off the brilliant ko of Lockridge.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #41
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Talk to me about Yory Boy Campas. Why would he get the nod over someone like, I don't know, Carlos Zarate or Vicente Saldivar? It's rare I see him among the top 10 of any ATG Mexican list.
He had alligator arms. Seriously, the shortest arms of any human being walking the earth.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #42
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
He had alligator arms. Seriously, the shortest arms of any human being walking the earth.
I bet he still threw with better technique than Sal.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #43
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I bet he still threw with better technique than Sal.
People marvelled at his "short hooks" while never mentioning that's the only kind he could throw. I'll say this for him; he couldn't loop a punch if his life depended on it.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #44
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
Laporte was anything but one dimensional. A lazy, inconsistent bastard, yeah, but he was still a very talented, well rounded boxer-puncher. Sanchez vs Laporte from memory was a very good fight and pretty competitive despite Laporte being quite green at the time imo. Pedroza took on the harder, more experienced version who was coming off the brilliant ko of Lockridge.
Valid points, but Lockridge just had an insane gameplan against Laporte. Laporte was loading up on his punches against the charging, reckless Lockridge unlike anything I've seen from a featherweight. Gil Clancy called the fight and pretty much predicted what was going to happen. Despite the fight only lasting two rounds it was pretty obvious the way Lockridge was charging in. Styles make fights.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #45
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Sanchez gets stripped of credit because he beat Gomez's ass and probably took something out of him in the process. Too bad few felt 'moving up' would make a bit of difference if at all prior to the fight or that Gomez was favored or that if you wanted to slate for having to scale up the impossible 4 lbs, he probably didn't even actually make 126 on the scales.

And I'll take green and in athletic prime over a faded or shot incarnation in almost every instance. Nelson's a great fighter, he was great in the fight, Sanchez had the experience, and little clue who Azumah was coming in as a substitute. Could've very well been blindsided and overwhelmed, but overwhelmed wasn't in his vocabulary.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum