boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,946
vCash: 122
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax99 View Post
Seriously, trolls touting Frazier as this overrated fighter are doing so based off emotion, and no logic.
Fixed.

He's a top10 ATG heavyweight & nothing you post will change that reality.
DrMo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
cyrax99
The Greatest
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States (AZ)
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
A guy with Joe's style doesn't have the same type of longevity as a guy like Wlad for instance that can use his height and reach.

Short guys like Frazier and Tyson, would have beat Wlad, Tyson would have done it destructively, but they don't have the same type of longevity.

At his best though, Joe Frazier was on of the greatest heavyweights in history.
One of the greatest HW's in history at his best? He is 1-2 against a horribly dimished Ali, and 0-2 against Foreman, making him 1-4 against ATGs.

What other wins does he have to be called a great? Jimmy Ellis and Jerry Quarry? Who considers them all time greats? He narrowly beat Bonavena, who knocked him down twice, who considers Bonavena a great?

He has absolutely NOTHING on his resume to justify being called an all time great.
cyrax99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
I don't see too many overrating Johnson (probably Janitor but he always sways towards older fighters).

Dempsey on the other hand...


They both appear with alarming regularity on Top 10 lists... Pound-for-Pound. I don't necessarily mean on ESB alone.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
cyrax99
The Greatest
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States (AZ)
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
Fixed.

He's a top10 ATG heavyweight & nothing you post will change that reality.
Right, no amount of facts will change someone's mind who is bound and determined to believe something. I've presented valid arguments, all you can do is repeatedly say he is great with no rebuttal to the facts.
cyrax99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax99 View Post
One of the greatest HW's in history at his best? He is 1-2 against a horribly dimished Ali, and 0-2 against Foreman, making him 1-4 against ATGs.

What other wins does he have to be called a great? Jimmy Ellis and Jerry Quarry? Who considers them all time greats? He narrowly beat Bonavena, who knocked him down twice, who considers Bonavena a great?

He has absolutely NOTHING on his resume to justify being called an all time great.
Joe Frazier was more diminished in their second and third fights than Ali was in the first. Why are you discrediting one of the best fighters on Ali's record?
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax99 View Post
I'm sure I'll catch alot of **** talking about a beloved fighter like Frazier, but the truth is that he is quite possibly the most overrated heavyweight of all time. I hear people mention him as a top 5, top 10, top 20 heavyweight, when he simply isn't. If you're bound and determined to believe he is great, just like a religious person, no facts will change your mind. But if you choose to be open minded, I simply do not see ANY argument for him being an ATG heavyweight, period.

First off, lets start with his record 32-4-1. He has 37 fights total, not very many to begin with. Ask yourself, what great all time heavyweights has he fought? Ali and Foreman are the only two answers.

Ali was a COMPLETELY different fighter after being exiled for three years, he completely lost his legs. This was a technically flawed fighter, but one who was tremendous due to physical gifts. He was a shadow of his former self after returning, any only won big fights afterwards due to outsmarting guys like Foreman. Still, despite this being a much worse Ali, Frazier loses 2 out of the 3 fights. Ali would have absolutely destroyed him pre exile.

Foreman absolutely obliterated Joe Frazier twice. It wasn't even close.

Joe Frazier's record against ATGs: 1-4

His one win being one he'd of never had if he fought Ali pre-exile.

Joe's other best wins are against guys like Jerry Quarry, and Jimmy Ellis, whom absolutely nobody considers ATG heavyweights. He hardly pulled out a decision to Bonavena who knocked him down twice, and nearly beat him. He has quite easily the weakest resume of any person considered an ATG, it's ridiculous. Seriously, had he not fought a watered down Ali with diminished physical gifts, would anyone even be talking about him as a great? ABSOLUTELY NOT. The man is 1-4 against ATGs...

I'm in total agreement with you but don't expect anyone on here to face the facts and agree with you. If Frazier is judged by the same standards that all of todays fighters are judged then there are gaping holes in his resume just topped up by one outstanding victory.

I can't repect any poster on here who believes that frazier belongs in the top 10 greatest heavyweights of all time.
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,946
vCash: 122
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax99 View Post
Right, no amount of facts will change someone's mind who is bound and determined to believe something. I've presented valid arguments, all you can do is repeatedly say he is great with no rebuttal to the facts.
What do you think about Ali holding onto the back of Joe's neck all the way through their second fight?
DrMo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
lefthook89
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post
I can't repect any poster on here who doesn't **** ride british, white boxers.
fixed, and you know its true
lefthook89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #24
Bullitt
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax99 View Post
I'm sure I'll catch alot of **** talking about a beloved fighter like Frazier, but the truth is that he is quite possibly the most overrated heavyweight of all time. I hear people mention him as a top 5, top 10, top 20 heavyweight, when he simply isn't. If you're bound and determined to believe he is great, just like a religious person, no facts will change your mind. But if you choose to be open minded, I simply do not see ANY argument for him being an ATG heavyweight, period.

First off, lets start with his record 32-4-1. He has 37 fights total, not very many to begin with. Ask yourself, what great all time heavyweights has he fought? Ali and Foreman are the only two answers.

Ali was a COMPLETELY different fighter after being exiled for three years, he completely lost his legs. This was a technically flawed fighter, but one who was tremendous due to physical gifts. He was a shadow of his former self after returning, any only won big fights afterwards due to outsmarting guys like Foreman. Still, despite this being a much worse Ali, Frazier loses 2 out of the 3 fights. Ali would have absolutely destroyed him pre exile.

Foreman absolutely obliterated Joe Frazier twice. It wasn't even close.

Joe Frazier's record against ATGs: 1-4

His one win being one he'd of never had if he fought Ali pre-exile.

Joe's other best wins are against guys like Jerry Quarry, and Jimmy Ellis, whom absolutely nobody considers ATG heavyweights. He hardly pulled out a decision to Bonavena who knocked him down twice, and nearly beat him. He has quite easily the weakest resume of any person considered an ATG, it's ridiculous. Seriously, had he not fought a watered down Ali with diminished physical gifts, would anyone even be talking about him as a great? ABSOLUTELY NOT. The man is 1-4 against ATGs...
Replace Joe's name with Tyson's....

He beat Ali....

That ****s on Mike's entire life....career and all....
Bullitt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
cyrax99
The Greatest
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States (AZ)
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Joe Frazier was more diminished in their second and third fights than Ali was in the first. Why are you discrediting one of the best fighters on Ali's record?
Simple, because I don't hold the Frazier wins in anywhere near as high a regard as other people. Unlike Frazier, Ali has plenty of other great wins to solidify his status, his wins against Liston and Foreman are far greater. Without Ali, who would even be talking about Frazier? He wouldn't even be mentioned in the all time great discussions. Yeah, he was past his prime too, but Ali much more so. Ali was a guy like RJJ, who depended extensively on physical gifts, he was a completely different fighter. He had no legs, and was forced to stand and slug, and still beat Frazier two out of the three. Frazier then got completely embarrassed twice against Foreman... Take away his win vs a diminished Ali, and he has absolutely 0 wins against great fighters... It's an abomination that people call him great.
cyrax99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
steviebruno
ESB NYC Delegate
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

He beat just about everyone that the pre-suspension Ali beat.

If his comp was suspect, so was Ali's.
steviebruno is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
Bullitt
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax99 View Post
Simple, because I don't hold the Frazier wins in anywhere near as high a regard as other people. Unlike Frazier, Ali has plenty of other great wins to solidify his status, his wins against Liston and Foreman are far greater. Without Ali, who would even be talking about Frazier? He wouldn't even be mentioned in the all time great discussions. Yeah, he was past his prime too, but Ali much more so. Ali was a guy like RJJ, who depended extensively on physical gifts, he was a completely different fighter. He had no legs, and was forced to stand and slug, and still beat Frazier two out of the three. Frazier then got completely embarrassed twice against Foreman... Take away his win vs a diminished Ali, and he has absolutely 0 wins against great fighters... It's an abomination that people call him great.
If Joe was overrated then what does that say about Ali....

He admired Joe and said he was his toughest fights...
Bullitt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax99 View Post
Simple, because I don't hold the Frazier wins in anywhere near as high a regard as other people. Unlike Frazier, Ali has plenty of other great wins to solidify his status, his wins against Liston and Foreman are far greater. Without Ali, who would even be talking about Frazier? He wouldn't even be mentioned in the all time great discussions. Yeah, he was past his prime too, but Ali much more so. Ali was a guy like RJJ, who depended extensively on physical gifts, he was a completely different fighter. He had no legs, and was forced to stand and slug, and still beat Frazier two out of the three. Frazier then got completely embarrassed twice against Foreman... Take away his win vs a diminished Ali, and he has absolutely 0 wins against great fighters... It's an abomination that people call him great.
Who did George Foreman beat to make him great? The guy who took two of three from Ali?
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #29
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Just stop.
Pretty much this.
Trail is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier, the most overrated heavyweight of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook89 View Post
fixed, and you know its true
What a racist clown you are, heres a list of my favouite fighters

Leonard
Hagler
Holmes
Benn
Tyson
Calzaghe
Eubank
Lewis
Chavez
Cleverly
Mayweather
Paez


If you have something to add to the thread, please do, if not, then one more bull**** accusation will lead to me grabbing the back of your scrawny neck and uppercutting you 94 times in succession with brutal power and pinpoint accuracy.
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015