Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #31
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1306
Default Re: Sparring session of me (video)

I must admit before I say this, I am not a boxer but I follow boxing a lot. Let me give you advice:

--> When you are sparring, don't actually go "easy" go hard. Act like it is a real fight since if you fight easy in the sparring sessions, it won't train you for the actual fight. You have to have malicious intent when you're sparring, you want to really hurt the person. If you think "Oh I don't want to really damage him" then you'll become soft.

--> Bob and weave, move your head side to side while keeping your high guard defense. This will dodge the straight punches. This is the left jab and right hand for orthodox fighters and right jab and left hand for southpaws, your sparmate was in the southpaw position. You'll notice your obliques (side muscles) being worked as you move side to side. When trying to dodge the hooks, bend your legs and move in U shape and counter with a hook.

--> Stay on the inside, move in close to your opponent and stay close ranged. You were really good when fighting your sparring partner close ranged and got the knockdown that way. Land hooks and uppercuts to pass his guard. Everytime you bob and dodge his jab, land the hook on his body or head.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I think you have a lot of potential and could move on to be a wonderful and tremendous boxer. If you try to be elusive, work on the callisthenics (push-ups, crunches, pull-ups) and work hard on the boxing workouts you could definitely become a world champion, without a doubt. Keep working hard at it, and if you begin to make a name for yourself in boxing get Floyd Mayweather Senior (Floyd jr's father) to be your trainer.
xRedx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #32
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Keep me updated on your success, I'm already a fan.
xRedx is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #33
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedx View Post
I must admit before I say this, I am not a boxer but I follow boxing a lot. Let me give you advice:

--> When you are sparring, don't actually go "easy" go hard. Act like it is a real fight since if you fight easy in the sparring sessions, it won't train you for the actual fight. You have to have malicious intent when you're sparring, you want to really hurt the person. If you think "Oh I don't want to really damage him" then you'll become soft.

--> Bob and weave, move your head side to side while keeping your high guard defense. This will dodge the straight punches. This is the left jab and right hand for orthodox fighters and right jab and left hand for southpaws, your sparmate was in the southpaw position. You'll notice your obliques (side muscles) being worked as you move side to side. When trying to dodge the hooks, bend your legs and move in U shape and counter with a hook.

--> Stay on the inside, move in close to your opponent and stay close ranged. You were really good when fighting your sparring partner close ranged and got the knockdown that way. Land hooks and uppercuts to pass his guard. Everytime you bob and dodge his jab, land the hook on his body or head.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I think you have a lot of potential and could move on to be a wonderful and tremendous boxer. If you try to be elusive, work on the callisthenics (push-ups, crunches, pull-ups) and work hard on the boxing workouts you could definitely become a world champion, without a doubt. Keep working hard at it, and if you begin to make a name for yourself in boxing get Floyd Mayweather Senior (Floyd jr's father) to be your trainer.
If you haven't boxed then don't start advising people on how hard to throw. He's in a gym under supervision and has competed before, he and his coach know when it benefits him to go easy and work on things, and when to simulate a fight. If you go all out every time, you'll learn nothing and get hurt.

Thread starter looks sharp and solid.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #34
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
If you haven't boxed then don't start advising people on how hard to throw. He's in a gym under supervision and has competed before, he and his coach know when it benefits him to go easy and work on things, and when to simulate a fight. If you go all out every time, you'll learn nothing and get hurt.

There are numerous boxing coaches with little to know actual experience in the ring, yet they still coached champions. Eddie Futch and Cus D'Amato to name a few.

I didn't tell him "to go all out", I advised him to go hard. Going hard means like 80%. Are you complaining about getting hurt? This is boxing, he is bound to get hurt. It should be common to have bruises after a good sparring session.
xRedx is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #35
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedx View Post
There are numerous boxing coaches with little to know actual experience in the ring, yet they still coached champions. Eddie Futch and Cus D'Amato to name a few.

I didn't tell him "to go all out", I advised him to go hard. Going hard means like 80%. Are you complaining about getting hurt? This is boxing, he is bound to get hurt. It should be common to have bruises after a good sparring session.
What I'm saying is that there are times to go hard, and there are times to not go so hard. If he's training with a coach, he trusts him enough to listen to him, and if he's sparring in a gym under his guidance, then he'll know what intensity is necessary by following instructions. That kind of thing depends on the purpose of the session, and the dynamic between the two partners. A poster watching this video knows nothing about any of that. And having boxed, trust me, avoiding getting hurt should be as much a part of the game as getting hurt or hurting someone else. Your brain is indispensable.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #36
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What I'm saying is that there are times to go hard, and there are times to not go so hard. If he's training with a coach, he trusts him enough to listen to him, and if he's sparring in a gym under his guidance, then he'll know what intensity is necessary by following instructions. That kind of thing depends on the purpose of the session, and the dynamic between the two partners. A poster watching this video knows nothing about any of that. And having boxed, trust me, avoiding getting hurt should be as much a part of the game as getting hurt or hurting someone else. Your brain is indispensable.
Your head is very important, that is true. Did you notice that in a real fight, that fighters are much more cautious of getting hit to the head whereas in sparring they allow themselves to be get hit more? The headgear doesn't provide that much protection against headblows only cuts, it gives the people sparring a false sense of security and allow themselves to get hit more.

Mike Tyson sparred without any headgear, although I wouldn't advise the OP to wear no headgear I would tell him to be very scared of getting hit in the head. thats why I told him to bob and weave.
xRedx is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #37
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
This couldn't be any more wrong.
1:27-2:07

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I believe Kevin Rooney who was taught by Cus D'Amato.
xRedx is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #38
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
In all sincerity sir, there's very few people here you should take advice from.

Wish you all the best.
that's the best advice I've read here!

-Although there have been a few very good points made. I'll refrain, despite having a strong amateur background. You should trust your trainer.

Personally, I think your fundamentals are pretty strong, so whomever IS training you must be pretty good. I especially like that you have a very good sense of distance, and so don't waste energy avoiding shots that don't quite land.

Maybe you move a little too much when on the outside, but then I said I'd refrain from advice, so I'll stop right there.

I enjoyed the video, best of luck to you.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 01-19-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #39
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
good post.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #40
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #41
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

The only thing I could really see that might be considered a negative was that there were points when you could have stepped to your left instead of stepping back; and this would have allowed you more chances to throw your hook.

But it's sparring, not an actual contest...so there's really not too much advice that we could provide that hasn't already been mentioned by your trainer.

Either way, it was fun to watch. Thanks for posting!
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #42
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Quote:

Yeah, both fighters in the video looked good.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #43
The Ape
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Good chin man. Keep those hands up and jab more. Nice body shots too

Keep up the good work and good post man
The Ape is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #44
AMIN-60
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Thank everybody for the advice.
AMIN-60 is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #45
nvs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

Good stuff.
nvs is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing