Leonard 12 16.67%
Same tier 15 20.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: duran v leonard greatness comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJoe View Post
duran = taxi driver.
I'd happily pay for a taxi if he was driving it
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Can Duran drive?
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Can Duran drive?
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

I bet he can drive better than Leonard
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
Balder
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Duran is Greater:

Leonared was great, but cherry picked. The only great fight I can think of was Hearns 1.

He lost his greatest fight to Duran, So that proves head to head Duran was the better fighter. He was also older and coming up in weight. Leonard was at peak.

His revenge against Duran. Cherry picked, he knew Duran balloneed up and had partied.

Hearns he would not rematch until FAR later and Hearns Beat him.

Duran went 15 with a younger and fresher Hagler, Very competitive fight. Leonard... waited.. waited and waited. And won a very controversal decision in Haglers last fight. ( he did not look great)

He did beat benitez, Duran could not. But Duran has Barkley as a great win. This is WELL past his prime and WELL past his weight fighting a champion far younger and stronger.

Leonard..... Nada.

Duran fought into his late 40's ..... And beat many contenders way past his best. Leonard did not age well.

Duran is a clear winner, But Leonard is not more than 15 places from him. GVreat fighters both. But Duran , Head to head, peak to peak , Lb for Lb is better, Fought much better past his weight class, and for much longer.
Balder is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I bet he can drive better than Leonard

I am not conviced that I would say he is a better driver than leonard...perhaps greater in an overall sense, but H2H Leonard has some physical advantages.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Duran was a street fighter with brute power who could be easily beat by pure boxers. Jumping weight was a result of him eating like a pig. More than than half of his LW opponents were nobody's.
SRL did the equivalent of a Tim Bradley moving up and beating Chavez Jr in his career.
Both great but SRL has the better skill, amateur and and pro pedigree to slightly edge him in greatness imo.

Yes street fighters routinely beat ATG great boxers and far bigger opponents while conceding most physical attributes.
Synthetic Decay is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #23
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Can Duran drive?

Only when drunk.
Synthetic Decay is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
castle
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder View Post
Duran is Greater:

Leonared was great, but cherry picked. The only great fight I can think of was Hearns 1.

He lost his greatest fight to Duran, So that proves head to head Duran was the better fighter. He was also older and coming up in weight. Leonard was at peak.

His revenge against Duran. Cherry picked, he knew Duran balloneed up and had partied.

Duran went 15 with a younger and fresher Hagler, Very competitive fight. Leonard... waited.. waited and waited. And won a very controversal decision in Haglers last fight. ( he did not look great)

He did beat benitez, Duran could not. But Duran has Barkley as a great win. This is WELL past his prime and WELL past his weight fighting a champion far younger and stronger.

Leonard..... Nada.

Duran fought into his late 40's ..... And beat many contenders way past his best. Leonard did not age well.

Duran is a clear winner, But Leonard is not more than 15 places from him. GVreat fighters both. But Duran , Head to head, peak to peak , Lb for Lb is better, Fought much better past his weight class, and for much longer.
nice post
Also Leonard was always the golden boy and paid well from his very first pro outing and was able to get his sniping demands met with the money made by promoters and opponents ,best example of that is a weight drained Danny Lalonde having to come down in weight to put his light heavyweight title up for Leonard

Whereas Duran fought his way to what he won even if it was a bit of a so called rookie in Davey Moore
castle is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #25
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder View Post
Duran is Greater:

Leonard..... Nada.

While some/much of what you say is true it is to slanted, biased and angry sounding to be taken as unequivical truth....also again while containing truth it is slanted and incomplete....you are not painting a full picture...You like Duran and don't like Leonard, we get it!.....although I still rate Duran higher...

Losing to Duran (which you mention), is not as big of a minus as losing to DeJesus (not meant as a slam on Duran or DeJesus)....Both men avenged this loss although certainly in different fashion....

Duran was obliterated by Hearns (no great shame) in as decisive a manner as anyone ever...and to me is a bigger minus than SRL/ Norris-Camacho...

You give credit to Duran for losing to Hagler and strip Leonard for beating him (some crazy logic at work here?), a mystery to me and I scored the SRL fight for Hagler.

Sounds like you are using whatever tool available to denigrate Leonard rather than taking a clear and balanced total picture view.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #26
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
I am not conviced that I would say he is a better driver than leonard...perhaps greater in an overall sense, but H2H Leonard has some physical advantages.
You're crazy man. The only time Duran outdrove Leonard was when Leonard drove Durans car. When he drove his car no way Duran could keep up.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #27
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You're crazy man. The only time Duran outdrove Leonard was when Leonard drove Durans car. When he drove his car no way Duran could keep up.
I am pretty sure...that, that is what I said????
Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #28
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
I am pretty sure...that, that is what I said????
Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #29
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 827

Was Duran a greater lightweight than Leonard was a welterweight? No Leonard beat 3 oppoents who are sure thing hall of famers. At points in their careers that they were still at worse pretty good, Benitez, Hearns and Duran. Duran beat one, Buchanan

Was Duran's victory over Leonard greater than Leonard's over Hagler? Yes
Welterweight Leonard is a better boxer than Middleweight Hagler.
Does Duran compare to Leonard resume wise across a whole career? No, When they faced the absulte best Leonard came out on top all but once, to Duran of all people. Duran only came out on top once, beating Leonard.
Compareing common oppoents Hearns, Benitez and Hagler. Leonard is 3-0,-1 Duran is 0-3. If you add the three fights with each other Leonard is 5-1-1, and Duran is 1-5. Neither Leonard or Duran were washed up at the time of any of these fights. Duran is also hurt here by losses to good boxers, but not at his level boxers: De Jeus, Laing and Sims. Leonard only has Noris.

Does Duran compare to Leonard skillwise in a peak for peak comparison? No. Leonard is more well rounded than Duran. One could argue that Duran is the best ever presure fighter, brawler.I'd go with Armstrong though. Leonard could also go toe to toe with the best. Look at Their first fight. Leonard went punch for Punch with Duran. Leonard was more than that, and he applied the approite tactic more often than not.

Does Duran's weight hopping compare to Leonard's Yes, Neather was going to stay at 135 and 147 their whole carers.

For casual fans it seems Leonard it the default choice for greater boxer. For hardcore fans it seems Duran is default choice for greater boxer. I see what you did there. It seemes that the casual fans have it right. I would say that casual fans are fimilar with the work of both Leonard and Duran, and rate them both highly. If by Hardcore fans, you mean fans who consider boxing among our favrote sports, Leonard ranks highly as well.

I've seen lots of debate on the trilogy between these two but not as much debate on who should be greater and, more importantly, why.It seems to be a pretty common debate.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #30
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

There's been some good answers that are unfortunately tainted with bias.

I mean yeah Duran bloated before the rematch, but that's entirely his fault. With 5 month notice he had every opportunity to train like a champion. And yeah he waited for the Hagler fight but in fairness he was old and 5 years retired whilt Hagler had just stopped his number 1 contender.

Very difficult for me to choose thus far.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum