Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #31
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is Steve Collins Problem?

gotta agree with Craney here and go for Jones jr. No matter how shot Jones jr is, the guy is active and he would be up against a guy that's been out for 16 years and is 48 years old. 16 years!
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #32
PUG
Everyday Is LIke Sunday
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Jones is beyond shot as well all know, but if you watch the Lebedev fight he did produce odd bursts of quality (don't recall the rounds but he stunned Lebedev badly twice)

That said I think the KO he suffered in that fight took a lot out of him and he was very poor in the Alexander and Glazewski fights.

As poor as his record has been post Ruiz Jones has been active, on the basis of his last two fights he should be capable of at LEAST beating a 16 years inactive Collins on points.

IF he can produce a punch like the ones that so badly stunned Lebedev he could stop Collins (doubt it will be in the first though)

If it must happen let's hope it's not a repeat of Jones v Hopkins two, which is one of the worst 'fights' ever seen.
PUG is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #33
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny v View Post
Its money mate,collins needs some.
That's what it reeks of and it's got who cares written in big letters all over it.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #34
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Its not a question of Jones Jr not being as good as he used to be, he is active, and will be fighting someone who has been out for 16 years. He'll see it as easy work. OK the Calzaghe fight was a few years ago now, but he DID drop Calzaghe with a fast punch in the 1st round. A punch Joe didnt see coming, he got clipped. This was up against Calzaghe who was still active. OK Calzaghe got back up and dominated, but if thats Collins.

Jones Jr can still land a punch like that on Collins and it dont even need to be as good as the one he caught Calzaghe with.

He aint getting back up if that lands.

This aint Collins out for 3 years and coming back for another fight, that is nearly 20 years pal. 20 f*cking years.

Did you see what he looked like a few years back?

If this fight even happens, Ill be surprised, Collins will get ready mentally, hit the gym, do 10mins in the ring, and realize himself, its not just not there, its not there AT ALL.

If the fight goes ahead, I worry for Collins. Yes he was an hard f*cker in his prime, but so were a million other fighters. If after 16 years, he can come back and beat Roy Jones Jr, it will be something of a miracle.
Rocky done it against tarver
knighty is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #35
ElCep
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
Who do you guys think wins it? The shot Jones or the very rusty Collins?
Nobody wins.
ElCep is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #36
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by emallini View Post
Calling out a shot Roy Jones Junior and moaning that they didnt fight. Why would Roy Jones be scared of Steve Collins?

What will beating him at this point prove anyway?

Hill,Hopkins,Toney,Grifffin on his resume yet hes scared of Steve Collins? Give me a break! Oh and Reggie Johnson (Who beat Collins) aswell. Steve Collins is a bitter man and he should shut up and leave the legend that is Roy Jones Jrs name out of his mouth.

To be fair, Collins was calling out a Prime Jones back in the 1990's as well. Jones ignored him, acted as if he didn't exist and wasn't chasing him and calling him out at almost every opportunity, and Jones got away with it because Collins wasn't a household name or a big draw in the US and the American public weren't clammering for the fight so Collins wasn't an opponent he had to face to save face nor was it a fight that would generate mega-bucks - in fact, the American networks ignored Collins as well and were saying that nobody wanted to fight Jones so he had to move up a division.

Collins wanted a fight with Prime Jones and never got it, Collins chased Jones for years only to get the cold shoulder. It was a fight he desperately wanted that he never got because Jones and the American networks just ignored him. It's unfinished business in his book so of course he'd go on about it.

Course the money helps as well.

And as for him calling out a shot Roy Jones, well, I think that's perfectly fine considering Collins himself hasn't been in a pro-fight since 1997 so he's shot as well.
MAJR is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #37
oli
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny v View Post
Its money mate,collins needs some.
absolutely this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUG View Post
If Collins did manage to beat Jones it would mean as little as Hopkins 'revenge' win over Jones.

I hope Jones manages to turn the clock back for one night and he's able to totally humiliate Collins before sparking him.
would be funny
oli is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #38
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post

Jones Jr can still land a punch like that on Collins and it dont even need to be as good as the one he caught Calzaghe with.
as in the forearm smash?
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #39
PUG
Everyday Is LIke Sunday
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJR View Post
To be fair, Collins was calling out a Prime Jones back in the 1990's as well. Jones ignored him, acted as if he didn't exist and wasn't chasing him and calling him out at almost every opportunity, and Jones got away with it because Collins wasn't a household name or a big draw in the US and the American public weren't clammering for the fight so Collins wasn't an opponent he had to face to save face nor was it a fight that would generate mega-bucks - in fact, the American networks ignored Collins as well and were saying that nobody wanted to fight Jones so he had to move up a division.

Collins wanted a fight with Prime Jones and never got it, Collins chased Jones for years only to get the cold shoulder. It was a fight he desperately wanted that he never got because Jones and the American networks just ignored him. It's unfinished business in his book so of course he'd go on about it.

Course the money helps as well.

And as for him calling out a shot Roy Jones, well, I think that's perfectly fine considering Collins himself hasn't been in a pro-fight since 1997 so he's shot as well.
Collins lost every major fight he had in the US (McCallum/Johnson/Kalambay)
he had to move to UK to become a two weight 'world champion'

(NB: I know Kalambay fight was in Italy, but Collins was still US based at the time)

He won his middleweight 'title' beating lightmiddle Pyatt.

He won his supermiddle 'title' beating a weight drained, shop worn Eubank.

He then looked dire against the likes of Brown/Carr/Seillier.

The WBO 'title' he held had no credibility whatsoever in the US.

A fight with Jones wouldn't have drawn breath in the States as it would have (rightly) been regarded as a mismatch.

Jones wouldn't fight outside of US.

That's why it didn't happen.
PUG is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #40
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd-Joy-Sr View Post
you disagree. Okay then. explain to me how any one of em even lands a punch on a guy with cat like reflexes? superhuman type reflexes. explain to me how any one of them could avoid getting hit when jones had the speed of a kung fu movie. he was like bruce lee in that ring, nucca
steroids and PEDs can be magical my friend
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #41
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

(NB: I know Kalambay fight was in Italy, but Collins was still US based at the time)

A fight with Jones wouldn't have drawn breath in the States as it would have (rightly) been regarded as a mismatch.

For what its worth I think Collins would get dominated by a prime Jones in 97, and that Jones didnt need to beat Collins to prove anything but a few of your points are debatable.

For one the Johnson fight was razor close and could have gone either way. I actually gave it to Collins by a point. Another thing, this excuse for Eubanks loss because he was supposedly 'shopworn' being made. In reality Collins had gone through a career of tough fights and was two years older than him. Just my two cents.
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #42
PUG
Everyday Is LIke Sunday
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportofkings View Post
Another thing, this excuse for Eubanks loss because he was supposedly 'shopworn' being made. In reality Collins had gone through a career of tough fights and was two years older than him. Just my two cents.
In 1994 (year before first Collins fight) Eubank made six defences, apart from a 7th round stoppage of Sam Storey they all went the distance, add to that rumoured weight making problems he looked jaded and old in both fights with Collins (particularly the first)

I don't think Collins would have beaten a prime Eubank (or Benn), and do you think Collins could have gone up to Cruiser and nearly beat Carl Thompson?

Either way, I hope this travesty with Jones doesn't take place now.
PUG is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #43
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
In 1994 (year before first Collins fight) Eubank made six defences, apart from a 7th round stoppage of Sam Storey they all went the distance, add to that rumoured weight making problems he looked jaded and old in both fights with Collins (particularly the first)

I don't think Collins would have beaten a prime Eubank (or Benn), and do you think Collins could have gone up to Cruiser and nearly beat Carl Thompson?

Either way, I hope this travesty with Jones doesn't take place now.
Eubank fought a far better fight in the first fight than the second one(where he got dominated, even after a very active year in 94. Collins would have had a great shot at beating a prime Eubank, who could look excellent in some fights and poor in others. If good, but hardly great, fighters Ray Close, Michael Watson and a few others could push him close (a few deserved the nod against him) Steve Collins certainly has a shot. Cant see the relevance in your point Carl Thompson tbh, but whatever.

Agreed on the last point though, Jones-Collins would be a farce, and I wish both of them would feck off into retirement
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #44
PUG
Everyday Is LIke Sunday
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportofkings View Post
Cant see the relevance in your point Carl Thompson tbh, but whatever.

Agreed on the last point though, Jones-Collins would be a farce, and I wish both of them would feck off into retirement
I think the fact that Eubank was able to move up to Cruiser (with no increase in body fat) and give Thompson such a hard fight indicates he was killing himself to do supermiddle at the time he fought Collins (and later Calzaghe)

Jones v Collins has all the makings of being a glorified exhibition/spar like Jones v Hopkins 2, sad.

I wish to f*ck Jones had called it quits after Ruiz (or after a token defence) if he he'd done that his legacy as one of the greatest ever would be secure, instead with may have to endure him ending his career on this farce.
PUG is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #45
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 744

Quote:

So...what part of that doesn't agree with what I said? Since I said the fight didn't happen because nobody in America cared about Collins and Jones could ignore him due to lack of public and network interest.
MAJR is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum