Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #121
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just how bad was Haglar robbed if at all against SRL?

Unfortunately, it's a boxing match, and not a fight. By very definition, it has rules and science.

Leonard outboxed Hagler.

I understand the rub and the contention, but it is what it is. I'm a professional fighter, and I can admit this is a sport. Just as much as you want to knock a guy out, you gotta try to score the points, and that means using some of the science.

7-5, Leonard.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #122
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I will say this... My Father used to always say before a championship fight, `remember, to take the championship you REALLY have to beat the champion` ... I don`t think based on that criteria, SRL should get the belt. IMO ...
Waynegrade is online now  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #123
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I would also add that I wish MMH didn`t come out the first 4 rds, orthodox ...
Waynegrade is online now  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #124
I am tyler
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
Yes, round 3. That is the round that I've been questioned on before, and I figured someone would question this time too.

Here are the things I took note of in round 3 that ultimately factored into me giving the round to Marvin:

Round 3 starts at 1:49 of the below video.

BORKED

Hagler starts the round off by stalking the ever moving Ray and looking for a spot to throw.

2:27 -Marvin sees his spot and lands a left hook that landed clean.

2:54 -Leonard throws a looping lead right, which Hagler blocked, but the commentators incorrectly said it landed.

3:03 -Leonard landed a right hook to Marvin's body, Marvin landed a counter left hook. Neither did any damage at all.

3:15 -Leonard threw another right lead and it was once again blocked by Hagler. Hagler missed the counter punches he threw.

3:24 -Leonard landed his first right lead, but missed the left hook he put after the right lead. Hagler dug into Leonard's body with a right hook under Leonard's left hook. In my opinion, Hagler hook to the body had more impact than Leonard's right lead, thus in my opinion Marvin came out the better of the two in the very brief exchange. Gil Clancy called the same view I just posted.

3:32 -Leonard once again throws a right lead, which was slipped by Marvin.

3:46 -Yet another Leonard right lead is blocked by Marvin.

3:50 -Marvin lands two good body shots as Leonard is trying to tie him up. Leonard came right back at Marvin with two right hands, the second of which was the first fully flush shot Leonard landed the entire round. In my opinion, for the first time that round, Leonard came out on top in the brief exchange.

3:56 -Marvin blocks a Leonard right lead. Marvin proceeds to land some light right uppercuts as Leonard tried to tie him up.

4:02 -Leonard misses his right lead again and ties Marvin up as Marvin looked to go to the body again.

4:13 -Leonard threw a right lead with conviction. Marvin slipped it and Leonard tied him up. Marvin landed a right hook to the body as they pushed off from eachother.

4:22 -Leonard finally lands his right lead, but it was grazing.

4:25 -Leonard thew a hard left hook. It was partially blocked by Marvin and also partially caught Marvin behind the head.

4:30 -Marvin lands two body shots, Leonard lands a left hook but misses his right, and Hagler landed a right hook to the body as Leonard was backing off.

4:44 -Marvin threw a lazy jab which Leonard countered with a sharp straight right left hook combo.

4:49 -Leonard threw a straight right-left hook combo, both were blocked and Marvin landed a clean left hook at the bell.

Basically, neither fighter did much noteworthy work, but Marvin did more work that landed than Leonard did. Most of Leonard's attacks were blocked or slipped by Marvin, and most of Marvin's attacks outside of stalking Leonard behind the jab when in range were to the body as Leonard looked to tie Marvin up.

I gave the round to Marvin on activity and overall landing more punches. Hagler also landed the heavier blows, despite very few heavy blows being landed by either fighter.
I actually had round 3 to Hagler as well in my scoring, and round 5. Leonard 1st,2nd,4th and 6th,
I am tyler is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #125
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Haven't had time to read whole thread but thought I'd drop in just to say I scored it to Hagler by 1 round at the time - think I have the first 4 to Leonard - remember Hagler practically giving them up for some reason? If he'd have had his foot on the gas those first 4 then it would have been a bit more certain for me
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #126
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I despised SRL but saw him outpoint Hagler. Marvin just looked like he was fighting in slow motion and Leonard was hitting him when he wanted anywhere he wanted. Close fight but 7-5 SRL was my score.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #127
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
I was absolutly sick as a pig that marvin lost, but yer can't blame SRL for Haglers performance. He should have just jumped the cunt from the 1st ring a ding & wore SRL out regardless if SRL got the round he would have been out on his feet by 8 at the latest. If only he had used that famous leaping double jab from the southpaw stance from the start he'd have won this fight.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

If only Leonard had stayed away from Duran in Montreal...things could have been different. They weren't different, and we have to give credit to Duran for that, just as we should give Ray credit for beating Hagler. The idea that this fight could ever be seen as a robbery, even by those who drastically despise Ray, is ****in' ridiculous.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #128
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBanzai View Post
It was 8-4 for Hagler, Leonard just ran and threw Joe Calzaghe flurries the last 25 seconds of the fight. Actually Joe Calzaghe threw far more powerful punches but that is another thread.

bottom line is the white man loved the uncle Tom Leonard.

No sense in starting the black and white bullshit!..thats just a classless comment!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #129
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
Just watched it AGAIN & on the 10 point must it's 7/5 for Leonard & i was really trying to give Marvin the benifit of the doubt. Marvin took to the 8th ****ing round to start double jabbing Leonard, if only he started out that way. Regardless of SRL's pitter/patter contribution most found the target, Marvin kept switching to orthodox even midway through the fight, jeezus he really blew it.

But i would like peeps on here to consider this mute point, what if SRL was the champion & Marvin the challenger!!! I'll tell you now that no way would you say that Hagler deserved to take the title, if that was Hamsho & not Hagler you would all have said that is was standard SRL fare against a slow plodding one dimensional bum without a jab who just trundled forward throwing crude slow wide arcing swings. Haglers corner was a joke! Not one bit of tactical nous! Zero adjustment until it was to late, the burglar had already ransacked the house the day before the alarm was fitted.

Do you score this contest as a FIGHT or a boxing match!!!! there lies the rub & contention.

I was absolutly sick as a pig that marvin lost, but yer can't blame SRL for Haglers performance. He should have just jumped the cunt from the 1st ring a ding & wore SRL out regardless if SRL got the round he would have been out on his feet by 8 at the latest. If only he had used that famous leaping double jab from the southpaw stance from the start he'd have won this fight.
Your right we cant blame Leonard for Haglars performance...well said!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #130
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
I would also add that I wish MMH didn`t come out the first 4 rds, orthodox ...

Ya..That was a mistake on Marvins part.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #131
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

If only Leonard had stayed away from Duran in Montreal...things could have been different. They weren't different, and we have to give credit to Duran for that, just as we should give Ray credit for beating Hagler. The idea that this fight could ever be seen as a robbery, even by those who drastically despise Ray, is ****in' ridiculous.

Damn right!...
Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #132
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
I will say this... My Father used to always say before a championship fight, `remember, to take the championship you REALLY have to beat the champion` ... I don`t think based on that criteria, SRL should get the belt. IMO ...
Boxing is scored by rounds.

As my father says, the rest is just "old timer talk."

If you win 7 rounds, you win the fight. If a belt is on the line, you win that belt. That's the end of it. You don't need to work harder than the champ to win those rounds. The close rounds going to champion isn't a RULE, it's a possible preference a judge might have, and it's a pretty poor one.

The champ gets his advantage by keeping his belt in the case of a draw. He doesn't get to lose 7 close rounds and walk out as champion because his opponent didn't "take his title." This is a sport, with rules, and there is no rule that says anything of that sort is a scoring criteria.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #133
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post

If you win 7 rounds, you win the fight. If a belt is on the line, you win that belt. That's the end of it. You don't need to work harder than the champ to win those rounds. The close rounds going to champion isn't a RULE, it's a possible preference a judge might have, and it's a pretty poor one.

The champ gets his advantage by keeping his belt in the case of a draw. He doesn't get to lose 7 close rounds and walk out as champion because his opponent didn't "take his title." This is a sport, with rules, and there is no rule that says anything of that sort is a scoring criteria.

Well spoken, MN
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #134
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post

I like that!..Good stuff my man!..
Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #135
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Spot on, and I'm sick of hearing about that "criteria" that some posters use to justify an opinion.

If you've won by a point, you've won by a point.
Great boxers win great fights by one point all the time!...Well said O!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum