boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #2881
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Jung Koo Chang Vs Francisco Montiel I

CHANG: 3; 4; 5; 8; 9; 10; 11 (-1);
MONTIEL: 1; 2; 6; 7; 12

CHANG 114-113 MONTIEL

This is after the debacle in the 2nd fight with Torres. Montiel looks like he could've done with a straw weight division. Either that or Chang should've moved up to 112lbs sooner. The champ' takes a few rounds to warm up enough to swarm. The rounds cut off early.
Montiel has little too him bar a bit of foot and handspeed but he tried hard. Chang had to really dig the left hook in to the body over a few rounds to pin him down. When Montiel opens up a bit more later on in the fight Chang looks in his element. In the 10th Chang limpets the joint out, but uses the breaks to land a series of patented accurate right hands.

Chand tries his hardest to get rid of Montiel with a vintage burst of offence early on in round 11th, but gasses. Whilst he's in control he wrestles Montiel too much in stifling his man while getting a breather and gets a point deducted. That moment of respite sorts him out and he goes on the offensive again.

Montiel did the better work in the 12th, where both men clinched and wrestled ad infinitum. The scorecard does not really show how wide Chang won the fight IMO, but Montiel fought well for a guy reportedly only 19, even though he was very raw and I probably edged a two rounds to him as I was impressed by his showing despite the size difference.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #2882
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

He wasn't really a fighter who would take chance and cut loose with busy clusters of punches like Robinson and Patterson.

Porbably close to Chavez in style, but not quite as volume oriented.More of a precision sharpshooter who would throw in 2's(left hook body then head after a range finding jab etc) and 3s.Great effective combos

I don't think he really had the chin or the same willing to take one to land three mentality to throw with the same volume in combination Chavez did against very good fighters.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #2883
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I agree that he had nice punching technique, and it's actually hard to fault him in any one area based on the Lopez footage, but I constantly see his name being mentioned alongside the likes of Robinson, Patterson, Chavez, etc. in terms of combination punching ability. I've never seen him throw combinations like the way those guys did.

Olivares - Harada

Horrible beating. Harada had no defence at all, and literally every left hook Olivares threw seemed to land. The knockdown was a thing of beauty. The referee stopped the fight in the second round, and although Harada could have easily continued, he was on his way to getting stopped in brutal fashion anyway.
Didn't throw as many punches in combination but when he threw in twos and threes he was as accurate as anyone. Also, it's his accuracy and punch selection that saw him stop so many, as Lora said, for raw power Gomez isn't spectacular. He was an astounding finisher more often than not as well.

Harada was a solid contender by the way. Shows you what a monster Olivares was. You watched the Sakurai footage I posted yet?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #2884
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
He wasn't really a fighter who would take chance and cut loose with busy clusters of punches like Robinson and Patterson.

Porbably close to Chavez in style, but not quite as volume oriented.More of a precision sharpshooter who would throw in 2's(left hook body then head after a range finding jab etc) and 3s.Great effective combos

I don't think he really had the chin or the same willing to take one to land three mentality to throw with the same volume in combination Chavez did against very good fighters.
You win this time.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #2885
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Didn't throw as many punches in combination but when he threw in twos and threes he was as accurate as anyone. Also, it's his accuracy and punch selection that saw him stop so many, as Lora said, for raw power Gomez isn't spectacular. He was an astounding finisher more often than not as well.

Harada was a solid contender by the way. Shows you what a monster Olivares was. You watched the Sakurai footage I posted yet?
Not yet brother, but I will do soon enough.

I just watched Olivares give Rose a beating. A very impressive display of punching ability from Olivares, who's combinations seem to flow without effort. One of the more educated left hands I've seen from a Mexican, and that's saying an awful lot.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #2886
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Not yet brother, but I will do soon enough.

I just watched Olivares give Rose a beating. A very impressive display of punching ability from Olivares, who's combinations seem to flow without effort. One of the more educated left hands I've seen from a Mexican, and that's saying an awful lot.
Only highlights from around the end of the bout, and you'll see Olivares being savage again. Glad you're diggin' him.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #2887
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Dodie Boy Penalosa Vs Hi-Sup Shin

Korean fella that Chang beat in the rookie tournament (that Addie uploaded getting anihilated by Laciar) did go on to win a title, and Dodie Boy takes it off him here.

PENALOSA: 1; 4;
SHIN: 2; 3;

A lot of gesturing and flicking of punches early but no action. In the 2nd Dodie Boy steps it up, and the two southpaws then both try getting their right hooks off, and this wakes the Korean up a bit and he shaded the 2nd IMO.

The feeling out period is over and in the 3rd both men come out looking to assert their jabs. More variety from Penalosa and Shin only going for straight punches, but he lands the best shot of the round, a long straight left to the face. Replay shows he caught Dodie Boy flush with a right hook just before that. Just a bit sharper thus far and more patient is Shin. 4th round is much the same, but Penalosa probably shades it, they trade for a good exchange before both going back to trying to impose their game at range. Not particularly inspiring stuff all round but interesting enough.

In the 5th Penalosa gives in. No longer up for a boing match, he just puts hands on Shin, unleashing both with spite. Hurts the Korean, traps him on the ropes, bludgeons and drops him, and the follow up assault is mercifully halted straight away when blood suddenly starts dripping. **** knows where from but Shin has gone from being in a cagey boxing match he's well into to absolutely battered in violent fashion with nothing more happening than him being beaten up. Swiftly.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #2888
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Fantastic second round and the best win that the Canizales Bros. own between 'em
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #2889
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Lora should have moved up after the Perez fight.

Hanging around afterward for so long after at a weight he was uncomfortable at and losing sharpness through inactivity was a disastrous combination going into that fight.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #2890
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
BORKED

Addie, uploaded this with you in mind.
I've been waiting for someone to upload that one. Probably my favourite Gomez performance.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #2891
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Scratch that. The Yum fight was definitely his most impressive. One of the most impressive performances ever, actually.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #2892
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Scratch that. The Yum fight was definitely his most impressive. One of the most impressive performances ever, actually.
hey el quick question how did you have the Sanchez fight scored before the stoppage? i had gomez doing ok up until...
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #2893
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Just watched Qawi savage Jerry Martin before the fight was mercifully halted in the 6th. Talk about a gimme first defense for Qawi.......a plodding, methodical standup boxer-puncher who was past his best in Martin. Ouch. Stylistically, the man stood zero chance of beating someone like Qawi, and he was never in the fight.

This, along with the Eddie Davis fight and to some extent the Saad rematch, show me that Qawi tended to let up on the gas a bit when he had his man in trouble. Both Davis and Martin were completely out on their feet and came back to survive a number of rounds longer than a true killer should have allowed them to.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #2894
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Qawi was awesome, wasn't he?
A head to head beast, that's for sure. Exceptionally difficult guy to beat or look good against.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #2895
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Ever see the Qawi-Foreman fight? Faked a KD then swung at Big George. Sneaky ol' ****.
I did! He also tried to sucker Holyfield in the 15th round of their first fight in a similar fashion.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum