Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #2896
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
hey el quick question how did you have the Sanchez fight scored before the stoppage? i had gomez doing ok up until...
The middle rounds were actually quite close. Great beginning and ending for Sanchez, but the fight isn't the schooling throughout that it's often made to be.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #2897
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Scratch that. The Yum fight was definitely his most impressive. One of the most impressive performances ever, actually.
Loses points for being dropped and stunned by T-Rex-armed-above-average-Asian.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #2898
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Loses points for being dropped and stunned by T-Rex-armed-above-average-Asian.
True. Dropped in the first and stunned two more times before the end of the third. Yum wasn't a puncher, either, even though he was made to look like a go-for-broke bomber by Gomez. From the 4th round on that fight is a one-sided masterpiece.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #2899
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
True. Dropped in the first and stunned two more times before the end of the third. Yum wasn't a puncher, either, even though he was made to look like a go-for-broke bomber by Gomez. From the 4th round on that fight is a one-sided masterpiece.
just started watching it, THERE'S the gomez jab i've heard about but rarely saw
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #2900
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The middle rounds were actually quite close. Great beginning and ending for Sanchez, but the fight isn't the schooling throughout that it's often made to be.
totally agree. wonderful fight regardless and incredible win by sanchez once he started zoning in
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #2901
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

The way Gomez crumbled early under Sanchez' punches(and sal was a straight accumulation guy with a flattering stoppage record imo) spoke badly for his punch resistance.

Fight was basically over after that, even though he showed massive balls to battle away for a while and make Sanchez work for it.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #2902
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
The way Gomez crumbled early under Sanchez' punches(and sal was a straight accumulation guy with a flattering stoppage record imo) spoke badly for his punch resistance.

Fight was basically over after that, even though he showed massive balls to battle away for a while and make Sanchez work for it.
ring magazine described him well in their best punchers of all time and said just that: he was an accurate but not devasting puncher. the problem with sanchez was that he'd hit the same spot, over and over, with straight punches and brilliant counterpunches until you HAD to fall
Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #2903
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

the problem with gomez at that time is that he seemed, to me anyway, to use his boxing skills only to set up the knockout. when he didn't come, and wouldn't come, against sanchez he ran out of options
Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #2904
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

I just watched Olivares-Castillo I. I didn't keep a scorecard, but I got the sense the fight was well won by Olivares who was landing his left hand without too much trouble, and landed some really nice looking 2's and 3's throughout the 15 too. Castillo looked to box on the back foot, countering, but he wasn't doing that good of a job at it. Well beaten in the end.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #2905
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post

I've studied that punch, and the two angles I've seen aren't great, but it doesn't look like much of a punch to be honest. Caught cold I guess and then I don't think Gomez really ever got his legs back from the early beating he took.
I think Sanchez would always beat Gomez at featherwieght but that should have been a more competitive fight than it was. Gomez show a lot of heart and was competitive for several rounds, but I never had the feeling the outcome was in doubt after the first round.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #2906
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just watched Olivares-Castillo I. I didn't keep a scorecard, but I got the sense the fight was well won by Olivares who was landing his left hand without too much trouble, and landed some really nice looking 2's and 3's throughout the 15 too. Castillo looked to box on the back foot, countering, but he wasn't doing that good of a job at it. Well beaten in the end.
Their 2nd fight should be on the tube in full, in one piece. There, Castillo punches with Olivares more, with, encouraging results
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #2907
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

What would we be saying about Olivares had he seen out the fight with Arguello? Quite an achievement for a former Bantamweight to perform that well against Arguello at 126lbs.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #2908
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What would we be saying about Olivares had he seen out the fight with Arguello? Quite an achievement for a former Bantamweight to perform that well against Arguello at 126lbs.
Yeah, but those aren't really the circumstances there. Olivares was a fully fledged featherweight that had taken Chacon's '0' and Arguello was still really finding his feet. The achievement here is more for Arguello finding a way to win. Olivares was stopped before and after, doubt it'd do much for his reputation had he survived even though it was Arguello.

One thing's for sure, Olivares pretty much laid down the blueprint to beat Arguello, and like him, many others failed to keep the movement going and stay out of range. The Marcel fight taught Alexis a lot it seems, but the Olivares fight is the first piece of footage we have of Arguello really finding his style.

Considering what he'd already been through, I'd say it's already a pretty solid achievement for Olivares, putting on a performance like that. Especially considering how rotten he would go on to look when he fought Pedroza. Yuck.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #2909
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd love to see the Ramirez fight!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #2910
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
totally agree. wonderful fight regardless and incredible win by sanchez once he started zoning in
I've been reviewing Sanchez fights just because that's what i do every couple of years. He reminds me of the football (soccer) player Andrea Pirlo. I'll just watch and say to myself "this guy's a ****ing genius".
I've also been reviewing some prime Gomez fights (thanks to Flea).
I think Sanchez would always beat Gomez at 126. But I've been wondering if Sanchez was a better Featherweight than Gomez was a Super Bantamweight. I'm not talking resume, just pure abillity.
I've noticed something watching them side by side. Gomez is spectacular with the angles he creates with footwork and sliding to put himself in punching range while getting his opponent out of punching range. He also incorporates incredible head movement when doing this. It's ****ing spectacular to watch. And he was a nasty ****er so I wondered if he was just punking guys because he could. But I see it in all of his prime fights and it appears to be his style.
Well, long story short, I think that Sanchez is more efficient with his movements. Gomez can make a guy look silly and make him miss by several inches. Sanchez will make a guy miss by just an inch or just enough so that a landed blow is not nearly flush. At the very highest levels (like against each other), Sanchez's stuff works better.
Gomez at times reminds me a bit of Duran. But like Sanchez, I think Duran is less flashy but more efficient than Gomez. Gomez also reminds me a bit of O.Canizales. And I've often wondered the same thing. Would Canizales stuff work against the very top flight competition? We never got to find that out.
Gomez also gets a little lazy with the jab. He paws it out there often as a range finder for the right hand. I wonder if a tall puncher like an Eirk Morales could make him pay for that? Anyway, I still think he's the best 122 lber I've ever seen.
natonic is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum