Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #901
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 191
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
wlad and rocky are essentially from differing weight classes. Wlad is from a weight class Rocky is unproven in. I just don't see him beating the much bigger and much heavier man and I saw nothing in his career suggesting he would do so.
Thats just ridiculousness. I seen Rocky pummell bigger guys with a nonstop attack that only gained momentum as the rounds past. Wlad being bigger isn't going to shield him from the brutal assualt Rocky would be bringing him. You neglect the body attack. Have you ever taken shots to the body? I have, by a trainer who was almost a pro. Its sickening. Brewster ****ed Wlad up by going downstairs. I counted only 3 body shot s landed within the first 3 rounds and Wlad was visibly panting in his corner. Rocky chops him down inside where he has no power or inside game.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #902
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Thats just ridiculousness. I seen Rocky pummell bigger guys with a nonstop attack that only gained momentum as the rounds past. Wlad being bigger isn't going to shield him from the brutal assualt Rocky would be bringing him. You neglect the body attack. Have you ever taken shots to the body? I have, by a trainer who was almost a pro. Its sickening. Brewster ****ed Wlad up by going downstairs. I counted only 3 body shot s landed within the first 3 rounds and Wlad was visibly panting in his corner. Rocky chops him down inside where he has no power or inside game.

That's the problem, getting inside. Brewster took Wlad's legs with a left hook to the head if i remember rightly, Brewster was a big puncher. It's not impossible, but you are disregarding the danger of Wlad's offence and how much his range keeping and movement to that end has improved.
Synthetic Decay is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #903
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Hey, earlier on in the thread I posted my experiences sparring somebody much larger, to which you dismissed.

And here you are, hypocritically doing what you told me not to do.
How old are you again, 16?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #904
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Which bigger guys have you seen him pummel with a body attack?

I've never taken a body shot as I'm a teacher and not a boxer.

Brewster got Wlad to gas, no doubt. He took a lot of shots to get there though and I can't see Rocky taking the same shots nor hitting as hard as Brewster did. In the rematch we saw Brewster fail to match his prior success. If wlad isn't 100% history shows he tires early and in that case I'd pick Rocky by knockout late on. However peak for peak I'm taking a 100% wlad who isn't gonna gas so easily.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #905
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Quite often I post from memory and not boxrec which means I make errors. I thought Valdes was big enough to consider a shw, if I'm wrong then fair enough. But my main point is Rocky has very little evidence of his effectiveness against the truly big men. Valdes was bigger and gives a bit more indication I feel.

I doubt Wlad will ever come near Louis, Ali nor Lewis. But Rocky, Johnson, Tyson, Foreman, Frazier, Holmes, these guys he can overtake in my opinion. I don't hold the Vitali situation against him and whilst he never fought Lewis when younger it was because he couldn't generate the money of Tyson, didn't become a mandatory with the WBC and perhaps most importantly got iced by Sanders. He'd have been iced by Lewis as well. However from 05 onwards he's begun to really clean house. Victories over Povetkin and Arreola would underline that status. As long as he continues to defend against the best available opposition his legacy will grow.
Valdes

Valdes was 6' 3" or so and about 207-215 most of the time.

Louis was 6' 2" and 213 for Marciano.

Bob Baker was 6' 2" and 210 and defeated Valdes twice.

But Valdes was beaten twice by Moore and also by Satterfield, and Baker was ko'd by both Moore and Satterfield. Weill tried to talk up a Baker fight with Marciano in 1955 but the press and public demanded that Moore get the shot.
edward morbius is online now  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #906
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic Decay View Post
That's the problem, getting inside. Brewster took Wlad's legs with a left hook to the head if i remember rightly, Brewster was a big puncher. It's not impossible, but you are disregarding the danger of Wlad's offence and how much his range keeping and movement to that end has improved.
Marciano Will step inside and when he does he WILL land. He'll catch him with an overhand right over the jab followed by a uppercut to the ribs. Thats when Wlad crumbles and gets chopped down. Its happeded before, the tapes are out there. Rocky was one of the hardest hitters in history in case you forgot.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #907
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Marciano Will step inside and when he does he WILL land. He'll catch him with an overhand right over the jab followed by a uppercut to the ribs. Thats when Wlad crumbles and gets chopped down. Its happeded before, the tapes are out there. Rocky was one of the hardest hitters in history in case you forgot.
Exactly when did happen to fighter the combined size, strength and skill level of Wlad?

I'll go through my tapes again and see if I can find that fight.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #908
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward morbius View Post
Valdes

But Valdes was beaten twice by Moore and also by Satterfield, and Baker was ko'd by both Moore and Satterfield. Weill tried to talk up a Baker fight with Marciano in 1955 but the press and public demanded that Moore get the shot.
Fair enough I did think he was heaview but as I said, I make errors when posting from memory.

To be fair to Marciano he defeated who he had to defeat at the time he defeated them. It's just in this instance the criticism I hold is he isn't proven against big guys.

I don't hold him not fighting those guys against him because he better better ranked challengers. It's just unfortunate those better ranked challengers were all smaller men when it comes to comparisons like this.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #909
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Exactly when did happen to fighter the combined size, strength and skill level of Wlad?

I'll go through my tapes again and see if I can find that fight.
He hasn't. Size doesn't win fights nor protect you from hurting. Can you understand this very simpile logic.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #910
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Quote:
Fair enough I did think he was heaview but as I said, I make errors when posting from memory.

To be fair to Marciano he defeated who he had to defeat at the time he defeated them. It's just in this instance the criticism I hold is he isn't proven against big guys.

I don't hold him not fighting those guys against him because he better better ranked challengers. It's just unfortunate those better ranked challengers were all smaller men when it comes to comparisons like this.
And Wlad inst proven against guys like Rocky. In fact there are the type of guys who have beaten him and are the same guys hes avoiding now.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #911
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward morbius View Post
Valdes

Baker and Valdez were beaten by Moore and they were also trying to make an interest in a Valdes fight for Rocky's 50 win but Valdes got beaten and dropped for a 9 count in the last round by Satterfeild a few weeks before Marciano-Moore....Satterfeild was already blasted out in 2 by Charles and Valdes lost any chance of making a Marciano fight marketable....Baker was KO'd by Moore so fight 50 would have to been a rematch vs Moore and other than the flash KD by Moore, Archie was pretty much dominated by Marciano but Archie was on his best win streak leading up to Marciano and had beaten many of the Big Heavyweights as well as the smaller talented guys in that streak marred only by a DQ loss and a controversial decision that he avenged by KO over Harold Johnson an ATG
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #912
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
And Wlad inst proven against guys like Rocky. In fact there are the type of guys who have beaten him and are the same guys hes avoiding now.
Wlad has never faced someone like Rocky and there isn't anyone today that can compare to him. He has dominated 3 world class cruiser sized opponents though.

Neither have faced the required styles. So itsa question of who you give the benefit of doubt to. I personally go with the big great one as opposed to the little great one.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #913
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Wlad being great is an opinion. He doesn't embody the characteristics that made guys like Marciano, Louis, Tyson great.
His greatness has been measured by some by the amount of weak opposition he has beaten on the trott.
Unfortunately for him and this debate thats not a skill and doesn't win fights against former ATGs.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #914
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Jesus 68 pages.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #915
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Wlad being great is an opinion. He doesn't embody the characteristics that made guys like Marciano, Louis, Tyson great.
His greatness has been measured by some by the amount of weak opposition he has beaten on the trott.
Unfortunately for him and this debate thats not a skill and doesn't win fights against former ATGs.
Of course it's an opinion. As is Rocky being great.

Like I said I give the benefit of the doubt to the big great.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum